The Student Room Group

Kicked Out, Unsure of maintenance loan arrival, What can I do?

The Gist
I'm being kicked out on the 2nd Oct.
What can I do to guarantee a place to live before then?

The Details
I made my SF application on 25th July,
and expect a response by 18th Sept (8 weeks).

I want to move out as soon as possible,
but don't have enough funds for a deposit and first month's rent.

I have limited funds as it is, and no one to rely on financially. So my absolute back-up plan is to reach out to shelter or another housing-related charity for help.

What I've Done
My student bank account's overdraft is out of the question.

From what I've found out, a personal loan is also out of the question since I don't have a regular income: just casual work - looking for permanent part-time work.
(Also it seems that with certain banks I can't use a personal loan for "a deposit for a property")

What I Think Might Work
Could I use my credit card to make a rental deposit to guarantee I'll have somewhere to live and be better prepared - since the uni is in a different city?
Have you spoken to your local authorities? They should be able to assign you a social worker as a vulnerable person who will be able to verify your situation and help with accessing support (for example they will often be able to confirm to SFE that you’re irreconcilably estranged from your parents and should be classed as an independent student for finance purposes)

Also speak to your university student support and accommodation teams. They should be able to help put in place some temporary accommodation as well as sometimes helping to fast track student finance.

Do you have a student bank account? Look into which accounts offer the largest interest free overdraft in year 1 and the minimum amount that you need to pay in to activate the overdraft. This is a good way to expand your funds and better than a personal loan.
https://www.standalone.org.uk Can also help with navigating available support
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
Have you spoken to your local authorities? They should be able to assign you a social worker as a vulnerable person who will be able to verify your situation and help with accessing support (for example they will often be able to confirm to SFE that you’re irreconcilably estranged from your parents and should be classed as an independent student for finance purposes)

Also speak to your university student support and accommodation teams. They should be able to help put in place some temporary accommodation as well as sometimes helping to fast track student finance.

Do you have a student bank account? Look into which accounts offer the largest interest free overdraft in year 1 and the minimum amount that you need to pay in to activate the overdraft. This is a good way to expand your funds and better than a personal loan.

This has been a huge help, thank you!

I expect a call back from my local counsellor, as well as someone from my uni's student support & accommodation team.
I'll be calling citizen's advise bureau again tomorrow since they've just closed.
I'll look into standalone's website tonight.

I'll reach out again with more questions sooner or later.
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending