The Student Room Group

Finance

Which bank is best for student banking when you start Uni?
For a uni bank account have a look at the incentives they offer when you sign up, most give some sort of gimmick like amazon prime etc.

Also (more importantly) have a look at the overdraft limits and whether you will be charged a fee for using your overdraft. It's also good to bear in mind what graduate options the bank has, I had a graduate account automatically for ages after I graduated, it was a zero fee overdraft again.
Reply 2
When you apply for student bank account do you need a new bank account for this or can you still continue using your normal account for uni?
Reply 3
You can continue using your current account, they convert it to a student account for you
Reply 4
Original post by fionaearnshaw
When you apply for student bank account do you need a new bank account for this or can you still continue using your normal account for uni?
Do you mean "when you apply for student finance"?

My understanding is that you just need to provide the details of an account in your name. This can be a "normal" account, or it can be a "student" account.

Bear in mind that you can't normally apply for a student account until after you have a confirmed place at university -- so you'd apply for it after the A-level results come out.

You can change the details of the account that your funding to paid into once the student account is opened.

One thing to watch out for is that it's quite straightforward to open a student account in your first year at university; it can be considerably trickier if you leave it till year two.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending