The Student Room Group

don't know what to study or career options etc

I'm quite lost right now. I've wanted to be a dancer since I was 7, probably because that's the career line that my parents are in and I've grown up around that. I do love it sooo much, but it's really hard for little job prospects and short careers etc. I think I'm going to apply to both dance and another more academic (or suchlike) career, see where I get offers, and take it from there.

Putting dance aside, I've always been very adept at maths. I'm studying maths, further maths, physics and chemistry for A level, finding them quite easy. I have been sure that I was going to apply for maths however now, since doing more of it, I think it might have turned into a chore, and I've suddenly had a thought that I don't really want to do it. I first thought this a couple of weeks ago when I was in Vietnam, I think it was the absence of meaning in maths that made me think this. Although I like the actual maths, I'm not keen on any careers that it would lead to. I don't think I could ever work in an office in the city with any jobs such as accountancy or stuff like that. I think I need more challenges and opportunities for creativity and stuff. My friend's mum said I should consider architecture which sounded good but I haven't taken Art A level. I have no idea what I want to study now. What should I do?
Reply 1
Try the Stamford Test on the UCAS website - that might help. Also, many many graduate jobs do not specify the degree subject required - a Maths degree does not mean you can only go off and be an accountant or teach afterwards! Think of a degree as an opportunity to acquire skills that you can use in all sorts of ways in your working life, rather than a knowledge base that points you towards a limited choice of jobs. Even people who do vocational degrees like medicine sometimes break away and do something quite unrelated for a career.
Reply 2
that questionnaire isn't very good I found, it basically gives you different areas and says would you like to have a career in that are. Problem is I don't know. I also don't think I did it well cause it came up with nothing.
Reply 3
Well it usually comes up with something!

If you are really unsure, take it one step at a time. Pick a subject/course you would be happy to do for three years, and worry about what comes after that later. With your subjects you could go for engineering (more creative than people think) and even get sponsorship to do it. Why not have a look around the net for information? Otherwise, if you don't want to do courses in any of your A2 subjects have a think about other subjects that people don't generally do at A level and/or that don't have specific entry requirements. Order a hard copy of the prospectus from a good uni offering a broad base of courses and have a look at the course descriptions to see what might take your fancy. Then you can have a wander round the UCAS site to look at other examples/unis.

Latest

Trending

Trending