The Student Room Group

Medicine - 3rd A2 Subject - Maths or Psychology...

Hi

I'm in A2 at the moment.

Doing Chemistry, Biology and Maths and applying to study medicine at university.

Although I can't decide between doing Maths or Psych as my 3rd A Level.

I got A's in both Maths and Psych.
My UMS for maths was 77 in C1&2. 86 in S1. So I got a very lucky A in Maths.

I got 5 RAW MARKS above an A in psychology

I do AQA for both subjects.

AQA did the most horrible exam in C3 last year and so many students lost out on the A/A* and consequently their place in Med school.

So i dont feel that confident with maths now, I'm quite confident I can get an A in Psych though.

Any tips????

Thanks
Unless you're applying to Cambridge, neither combination will put you at an advantage over the other. I think you should only consider 1. which do you enjoy more and 2. which do you think you'll get a higher grade in. If you're not confident about getting an A in maths I'd say take psychology - it's not worth the risk of getting an offer and then missing it. :smile:
I would have thought that the majority of medical schools would look on the 'hard academic' subject of maths much, much more favourably than the 'soft' psychology. That said, @StationToStation makes a good point that the A grade is the most important thing - as long as the medical school to which you want to apply doesn't explicitly advise against psychology, it's probably better to take that if you're more likely to get an A in it.
Reply 3
Thanks for the advice.

But with spec going linear wouldn't it be too much to remember? 2 years worth content to memorise..
Reply 4
Original post by samantham999
Drop maths for med, I know many students who got AAA but a B at AS in maths and dropped it and got AAA at A2
So carry in with psychology because A2 maths is difficult

Might I ask - Did you study these subjects? Are you a medic?

Thanks for the advice.
Original post by Shamim1

As people have said, just pick the one which you will get an A in. There's no benefit for taking maths over psychology

Quick Reply

Latest