The Student Room Group

I'm going to be a published physicist :D

My old undergrad supervisor has got in contact and said I can be a co-author for a paper being written as they are using the data I collected in my undergrad experimental project searching for a phase boundary in the supercriticle region of methane. :excited:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
My old undergrad supervisor has got in contact and said I can be a co-author for a paper being written as they are using the data I collected in my undergrad experimental project. :excited:

Awesome! Well done you.
I have been immortalised :colonhash:
My old undergrad supervisor has got in contact and said I can be a co-author for a paper being written as they are using the data I collected in my undergrad experimental project searching for a phase boundary in the supercriticle region of methane. :excited:

Congratulations!! :bl::dance::congrats:
Gz
Well done.I hope to emulate this as well.
What does it feel like to contribute to human knowledge ?

What does " phase boundary in the suprrcriticle region of methane " even mean?.

I hate physics and math.

And how old are you?.

Through that I will be able to judge how much of an achievement it is.
Original post by Kadak
Well done.I hope to emulate this as well.
What does it feel like to contribute to human knowledge ?

Impostor syndrome :tongue:
Congratulations, that's really quite something!
Incredible, congratulations.
Omg so cool :h:

Well done :hugs:
Original post by Iamverycool
What does " phase boundary in the suprrcriticle region of methane " even mean?.

I hate physics and math.

And how old are you?.

Through that I will be able to judge how much of an achievement it is.

A phase boundary is a change of state in matter. Like when water goes from being a liquid to solid (ice). Below is a phase diagram showing where the known phase boundaries of methane lie.

Spoiler

The data I gathered was collected at conditions beyond the criticle point of methane where the current understanding is that there is no more phase boundaries beyond this point. I was looking for a theoretical phase boundary known as the Frenkle Line (named after the Soviet scientist who did lots of pioneering research in this area).

We essentially squashed methane between diamonds to get the enormous pressures required (the same pressures found inside gas giants like Jupiter) to get into the supercriticle region. Then lowered the pressure gradually in order to get data points that cross where the phase boundary is expected to lie. All while this was going we fired a green laser at the methane being squashed and analysed what happened to the laser beam after it hit the the sample. You can potentially work out what is going on with the methane molecules whilst doing this and look for signs of a phase change.

So... I don't actually know what the paper is going to say, but I am assuming it will have something to say (even if that is that there is no Frankel line :tongue:). Who knows, I may have contributed a tiny amount to the discovery of a new phase of matter :dontknow:

I've just turned 24. I did this undergrad project when I was 21.

I guess you like using the things physics and maths help produce though?
(edited 7 years ago)
:yay:

:woo:

STM ftw*
I don't even know you but I am proud of you. Congratulations!

These are the kind of posts I want to see more of on TSR. :smile:
Original post by Little Popcorns
Omg so cool :h:

Well done :hugs:

:jumphug:
A phase boundary is a change of state in matter. Like when water goes from being a liquid to solid (ice). Below is a phase diagram showing where the known phase boundaries of methane lie.

Spoiler

The data I gathered was collected at conditions beyond the criticle point of methane where the current understanding is that there is no more phase boundaries beyond this point. I was looking for a theoretical phase boundary known as the Frenkle Line (named after the Soviet scientist who did lots of pioneering research in this area).

We essentially squashed methane between diamonds to get the enormous pressures required (the same pressures found inside gas giants like Jupiter) to get into the supercriticle region. Then lowered the pressure gradually in order to get data points that cross where the phase boundary is expected to lie. All while this was going we fired a green laser at the methane being squashed and analysed what happened to the laser beam after it hit the the sample. You can potentially work out what is going on with the methane molecules whilst doing this and look for signs of a phase change.

So... I don't actually know what the paper is going to say, but I am assuming it will have something to say (even if that is that there is no Frankel line :tongue:). Who knows, I may have contributed a tiny amount to the discovery of a new phase of matter :dontknow:

I've just turned 24. I did this undergrad project when I was 21.

I guess you like using the things physics and maths help produce?

Interesting.
Thanks for the detailed explanation.

At 24, it's impressive.
Well done.

And yes I do love using the products made available by those fields.
Wow that is actually amazing. Congratulations!

Don't let the fame get to your head! :tongue:
Original post by rayquaza17
Wow that is actually amazing. Congratulations!

Don't let the fame get to your head! :tongue:

If by fame you mean a small group of condensed matter physics researches :tongue:
Congratulations!

That's incredible, congratulations!

Quick Reply

Latest