The Student Room Group

How Do You Become An Investment Banker???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
MonteCristo
I'd wish people who don't know what they're talking about would just remain quite, if not just to stop yourself looking like a right prat.

Who was that aimed at?
^ To whoever doesn't know what they're talking about.
Reply 22
Er thanks...:rolleyes:
Reply 23
Can you become an investment banker without a degree? and is so what route would you take? What worth does the IAQ qualification have?
Reply 24
Wow what a ridiculous thread I am surprised the regulars didn't have a field day, was there no search button (or google) back in august?

Can you become an investment banker without a degree? and is so what route would you take? What worth does the IAQ qualification have?

Given todays circumstances, where even the more undesirable areas of "IB" (by that I take you to mean working at an investment bank in any capacity, IB is used very generally by most people) are very sought after by applicants with 'good' degrees, I would say its pretty much impossible for FO and very unlikely for BO (without an amazing network/connections)..as for a route, temping in BO trying to land a perm. contract or connections? :s-smilie:

Thats just my understanding, hopefully someone better informed may have better tidings..as for the IAQ probably close to worthless without the accompanying degree..
Reply 25
Get a job as a clerk at 16 or 18. Impress your superiors. Get promoted all the way to the front office.

Chance of success: minimal
Bragging rights if you manage it: astronomical
Reply 26
Cexy
Get a job as a clerk at 16 or 18. Impress your superiors. Get promoted all the way to the front office.

Chance of success: minimal
Bragging rights if you manage it: astronomical

lol. What exactly does the bank of new york mellon do? Do they do investment banking?
Reply 27
Belkin
lol. What exactly does the bank of new york mellon do? Do they do investment banking?

I can't decide if this is (a) a massive coincidence, or (b) some kind of scary stalker-esque affair, because I have a friend who did exactly what I alluded to in my post above.
^ what at the bank of mellon? recently?
Reply 29
Within the last few years.
wow! congrats to him, how did you he manage that? still there or moved on?
Reply 31
I'm lost lol. What are you talking about exactly?
loggins
I know one or two banks offer internships specifically for first years, but mostly they're for penultimate year students.

care to name them? :smile:
from the top of my head:

hsbc - but thats in commercial banking (urggh!)
accenture - i know they are not a bank, but its still better than a kick in the teeth

imo, its better to get a spring internship at a top IB (GS, JPM, Barcap) and then during the summer work as a cashier, fast-food guy, peddler of loft insulation and build up soft skills rather than spend 10 weeks sweating in an office doing data entry, filling, coffee rounds.
Reply 34
Investment banking sounds so good. Is there any type of work experience I could get now while I'm at college which would be good? I've just been offered a job with the bank of new york in portfolio services. Exciting ey? haha. Is that actually going to be useful?
Reply 35
im doing sociology at liverpool university could i become an investment banker?
Statistically speaking? Not a chance.
Hi, I'm 15 and am extremely interested in finance. I am currently doing GCSEs in Maths, Business Studies et all. I think I excel in maths particularly. I would like to become an investment banker, maybe after a short career in the actuarial profession, etc. I would like to know which A levels would be best for a career in finance & investment - I was thinking Maths, Further maths, finance, physics and chemistry (I think the limit at my college is 5). My goal is to get to oxbridge, preferably cambridge, as I'm from oxford and want to go somewhere new. I am interested in doing a degree in mathematics (I haven't investigated the different varieties yet), and finance, after which i may decide to do a PhD in mathematics, but this is not certain. After/during a career in investment banking, I was thinking that I could become a private investor. I know that these ambitions could be slightly harder for me, as I am from a state comprehensive, be it the highest scoring state comprehensive in the county. But still a state comprehensive.

I would deeply appreciate any advice on this matter, thanks in advance.
ben.stokell
Hi, I'm 15 and am extremely interested in finance. I am currently doing GCSEs in Maths, Business Studies et all. I think I excel in maths particularly. I would like to become an investment banker, maybe after a short career in the actuarial profession, etc. I would like to know which A levels would be best for a career in finance & investment - I was thinking Maths, Further maths, finance, physics and chemistry (I think the limit at my college is 5). My goal is to get to oxbridge, preferably cambridge, as I'm from oxford and want to go somewhere new. I am interested in doing a degree in mathematics (I haven't investigated the different varieties yet), and finance, after which i may decide to do a PhD in mathematics, but this is not certain. After/during a career in investment banking, I was thinking that I could become a private investor. I know that these ambitions could be slightly harder for me, as I am from a state comprehensive, be it the highest scoring state comprehensive in the county. But still a state comprehensive.

I would deeply appreciate any advice on this matter, thanks in advance.

Maths, Further Maths, Physics are good choices. Finance is a waste of time. Chemistry is a solid subject, but you may find more benefit in taking Economics for variety and demonstrating versatility (or at least an Arts subject you enjoy and is well-regarded, e.g. History, English).

Your focus now should be on getting excellent GCSEs (mostly A*s) and excellent A-Levels (A* in Maths, at least A in others) to give you the best shot of getting into a top university (Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick, Imperial). If, as you aspire to, you got into Cambridge for Maths, you would be excellently placed to move into Finance.

There's no point planning any further ahead than this, as your perspective and aspirations will evolve, and you want to keep your options open.
PorcineAviation
Maths, Further Maths, Physics are good choices. Finance is a waste of time. Chemistry is a solid subject, but you may find more benefit in taking Economics for variety and demonstrating versatility (or at least an Arts subject you enjoy and is well-regarded, e.g. History, English).

Your focus now should be on getting excellent GCSEs (mostly A*s) and excellent A-Levels (A* in Maths, at least A in others) to give you the best shot of getting into a top university (Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick, Imperial). If, as you aspire to, you got into Cambridge for Maths, you would be excellently placed to move into Finance.

There's no point planning any further ahead than this, as your perspective and aspirations will evolve, and you want to keep your options open.

If this whole MC banter doesn't work out for you, you'll make a fantastic "life planner", or at least careers person at school :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending