The Student Room Group

What can we infer from "sparkly"?

what does the word sparkly infer... because im doing english homework and idk what to right
really??? i never knew

Original post by Bluebutterfly310
Hello

Heres a definition of sparkly --> http://www.thefreedictionary.com/sparkly

Hope that helps, good luck with the homework.

ty. but idk what it INFERS because i have an extract...
https://smhw-production.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/attachment/file/bf2c2d36f91fbab55a7dac792338614b/SAMS_2_-_QP_8700__-_Paper_1_V4_18-07-16.pdf
but nice pic btw :smile:
Reply 3

Within the context of this extract?

They came in by train from Victoria every five minutes, rocked down Queen’s Road standing on the tops of the little local trams, stepped off in bewildered multitudes into fresh and glittering air: the new silver paint sparkled on the piers, the cream houses ran away into the west like a pale Victorian water-colour; a race in miniature motors, a band playing, flower gardens in bloom below the front, an aeroplane advertising something for the health in pale vanishing clouds across the sky.

Looks like it means the paint was shimmering/glistening/shining brightly.
Original post by UWS
Within the context of this extract?

Looks like it means the paint was shimmering/glistening/shining brightly.

basically... but my teacher keeps on going on about saying what it infers... and idk what he on about
Moved to English study help and title changed.
Reply 6
Original post by callum_20011
basically... but my teacher keeps on going on about saying what it infers... and idk what he on about

He probably means what you can assume that's not actually stated.

Here it sounds like they're probably going for something like "It was recently painted" or something but it does technically say new so maybe not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7

we can infer that something magical or out of the ordinary may happen as sparkling is usually associated with magic
Sparkly has been tainted by Twilight for me.
Original post by iEthan
Moved to English study help and title changed.

thanks, made a lot of difference

QUOTE=kpwxx;68396846]He probably means what you can assume that's not actually stated.

Here it sounds like they're probably going for something like "It was recently painted" or something but it does technically say new so maybe not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

basically, but i want to surprise sir with a really good piece of work... something i dont usually do...

Original post by Angell99
we can infer that something magical or out of the ordinary may happen as sparkling is usually associated with magic

thanks, thats actually pretty good point

Original post by ihatePE
perhaps sparkled in that context can be used to say that the place is dreamy, unbelievable, out of this world

yeah maybe. thanks anyway
thanks, made a lot of difference

QUOTE=kpwxx;68396846]He probably means what you can assume that's not actually stated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

basically, but i want to surprise sir with a really good piece of work... something i dont usually do...

No problem hope it helped, good luck with the homework
Original post by Angell99

No problem hope it helped, good luck with the homework

ty

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending