The Student Room Group

I got all 9s at GCSE Ask me Anything

Hey, I got all 9s last year so if anyone has any questions please ask away :smile:
Specifically humanities, essays etc as I have more personal help for that!
how on earth do i do english lit??? language im getting 9s but i’m scraping passes on lit
Reply 2
Original post by planets-&-stars
how on earth do i do english lit??? language im getting 9s but i’m scraping passes on lit

I did AQA but basically I made flashcards on this app called Anki which gives you the same ones you're bad at so you can learn them faster.
Flashcard Layout:
A01: my inference
A02: 2 methods
A03: contextual knowledge
A04: (for poetry) links to other texts.

I laid out each paragraph:

Anchor to the question

Method 1

Inference

Higher-tier inference e.g it's as if xxx highlights xxxx /// this conjures an image of xxx

Method 2

Inference

Context

Writers intention

link if applicable

I always do my essay structured by the way the novel / poem / drama goes so exposition, middpoint denouement

hope this helps and feel free to ask more
i'm doing aqa too, and that looks really helpful, thank you! what do you mean by method 1/2 and inference?
Reply 4
Original post by planets-&-stars
i'm doing aqa too, and that looks really helpful, thank you! what do you mean by method 1/2 and inference?

Method one is like alliteration, simile etc
Inference is sort of what you have to say about it

For example I’ll use a Romeo and Juliet quote.

In Act 1 Scene, Shakespeare uses hyperbolic language to convey Romeo’s melodrama as an archetypal Petrarchan lover when he exclaims, “O brawling love, O loving hate.” The despondent oxymorons highlight his overwhelming feelings and despair in being away from Rosaline and depict him as melodramatic - perhaps different from a contemporary understanding as in Shakespearean England men were meant to portray a patriarchal dominance - Shakespeare could have used Romeo as a foil from typical men in his time to highlight his atypicality and stronger hold on his emotions, accentuating his love for Juliet later in the play.

Bold - method
Underlined - Context
Italics - inference
Original post by jilliams44
Method one is like alliteration, simile etc
Inference is sort of what you have to say about it
For example I’ll use a Romeo and Juliet quote.
In Act 1 Scene, Shakespeare uses hyperbolic language to convey Romeo’s melodrama as an archetypal Petrarchan lover when he exclaims, “O brawling love, O loving hate.” The despondent oxymorons highlight his overwhelming feelings and despair in being away from Rosaline and depict him as melodramatic - perhaps different from a contemporary understanding as in Shakespearean England men were meant to portray a patriarchal dominance - Shakespeare could have used Romeo as a foil from typical men in his time to highlight his atypicality and stronger hold on his emotions, accentuating his love for Juliet later in the play.
Bold - method
Underlined - Context
Italics - inference

thank you so much - you're a life saver!

Quick Reply

Latest