The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

lol no i was never a geek.
when i was young i used to get A's and B's up til about year 9... people used to copy off me but i was still a naughty annoying kid! :biggrin:
after that i started getting Bs and C's and stopped obeying school rules.... :tongue:
Reply 61
When I joined my school a few years ago, I could have had a really bad time. But amazingly( and I'm really thankful for this) the hardest gang in the year took me under their wing. I didn't get any hassle, and they toughened me up a lot..I learnt and exoerienced things that I normally wouldn't have at any point in my life. They made me the person that I am now; I owe the way I behave and the way people think of me to them.
Reply 62
When i was younger i used to be a right little b/stard and was really horrible to all the 'nerdy' type people, taking the piss out of them for ages, then i grew up (i think) and stopped but in sxth form when pretty much every was friends with everyone i realised that some people still held a grudge against me for i had been like 5 years before, made me feel well bad...never been a geek myself but was much worse a little kid who thought he was cool...thats proper sad and much worse than being a little nerdy
I was always the school's original prankster; the teachers absolutely despised me (muck-up day in Yr11 and Upper Sixth organised by Yours Truly). Thus, I didn't get any stick whatsoever from the other guys for being a smart alec in class and getting good grades. It seems people hate you if you're the teachers' pet, and my determination to embarrass every single member of staff before I left ensured that I never was one.
Reply 64
i was a semi-geek in GCSE years, with an unhealthy obsession with top grades. but that's only the really 'geeky' characteristic i had in lower school, i didn't like computers, star trek etc. and i was confident and really enjoyed social activities.

i suppose i haven't really changed much, but it hasn't done me any harm and labels such as 'geek' are not really subjective anyway.
Reply 65
you like ice hockey? american sports are seen as a fairly geeky hobby for englanders
Reply 66
MC REN
you like ice hockey? american sports are seen as a fairly geeky hobby for englanders

well that's what you get from lots of american relatives. never heard of ice hockey, baseball, american football etc. being referred to as 'geeky' here before.
Reply 67
On the last day of U6 my mate had brought in our Year 7 form photo, and one girl in my maths group pointed someone out, saying 'Oh my God, who's that total geek?!', only for me to answer, 'That's me actually...' She had a point though, I looked dreadful- huge glasses and hair all over the place with a big fringe, terrible! I spose I was a kinda geek, always did my homework properly and got good grades, didn't go out much (Because I'm shy and don't like dancing when sober, not cos I've got no firends!), stuck to rules etc. Oh, well, at least at uni people will judge you on how they find you, not on a label you've had since Yr 7, even if you've changed completely!
Reply 68
how to define the word geek exactly?
Stanley
how to define the word geek exactly?

A socially-inept student whose life revolves around study and the attainment of top grades. Sports, social gatherings and communication with the opposite sex are rare. Geeks are usually marginalised and form communities of their own.
Reply 70
hornblower
A socially-inept student whose life revolves around study and the attainment of top grades. Sports, social gatherings and communication with the opposite sex are rare. Geeks are usually marginalised and form communities of their own.

lol i used to be a nerd tho... not a geek
Reply 71
be nice to the geeks, you may end up working for them some day...
Reply 72
I get called a geek (among many other things), although I wouldn't say I am one. Some of my interests are pretty nerdy, but I don't swot.
I am not a geek, but leave them alone, you may well be working for one when you're older, e.g. Bill Gates and he's done alright in life, and he donates to charity.

Latest

Trending

Trending