The Student Room Group

I thoroughly dislike my teacher

I asked my physics teacher if the school could organise this physics challenge (similar to the physics Olympiad) because I don’t have much to put on my personal statement and I thought that even if I attempted it, i could still say that I’ve done it on my PS.
Ever since that day, my teacher keeps announcing it to everyone that I opted to organise it and he does this multiple times and it’s getting on my nerves. I didn’t want people to know that I opted for it because then I’ll seem like a massive geek and over confident with everything.
And then I don’t even think I did well in it, so now everyone knows that I voluntarily organised it, and I didn’t even do well in it. I think other people did so much better.
Why does he keep doing this. I really don’t like it and it frustrates me so much
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I asked my physics teacher if the school could organise this physics challenge (similar to the physics Olympiad) because I don’t have much to put on my personal statement and I thought that even if I attempted it, i could still say that I’ve done it on my PS.
Ever since that day, my teacher keeps announcing it to everyone that I opted to organise it and he does this multiple times and it’s getting on my nerves. I didn’t want people to know that I opted for it because then I’ll seem like a massive geek and over confident with everything.
And then I don’t even think I did well in it, so now everyone knows that I voluntarily organised it, and I didn’t even do well in it. I think other people did so much better.
Why does he keep doing this. I really don’t like it and it frustrates me so much

Firstly, you can put a lot on your PS like doing virtual work experience via Forage or short courses via Future learn - there's a lot you can do on your own and if you're still feeling worried about it you can study code or find resources online, by checking out physics societies or participating in competitions. (If you do the future learn thing, make sure you opt for courses with a free digital upgrade, so that you can receive a certificate of completion when you're done with it).

Secondly, your teacher sounds really annoying, seeing as they've done this a few times now have a word with them about it; just say you're busy with your studies and this wasn't something you were solely planning on organising, rather it was something that could have potentially been done for the students conducted by the school. If he keeps doing it, speak to another teacher about this.

Thirdly, I doubt your peers would really care in all honesty and whether it happens or not - nothing bad is going to come out of it except for it being a bit awkward. Besides they'll appreciate that something different was done instead of listening to your annoying teacher in class - you're thinking about it too deeply and it really isn't anything to worry about - teachers can be silly.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous

Hi there.

Great advice above. Try not to compare yourself to others as sometimes you can be your own biggest critic - you're likely to have done much better than you think.

Try not to be worrying about what others think of you as if you're passionate about something then go for it - you don't have to be the best at it so long as you enjoy it. :smile:

Best wishes.
Reply 3
Being pivotal in the organisation of something like this will look good on your PS. It gives you something to talk about at interview as well.

As has been suggested already, have a chat with your teacher about them mentioning you all the time like this and explain it's making you uncomfortable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending