The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This thread has lots of different books you can get http://www.uk-learning.net/t54205.html

This book has been recommended to me for my first year of a maths degree which can be ordered here http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0340625309/ref=cm_mp_wli_/026-1501823-7646002?coliid=I36AMEE23PBKNJ
Reply 2
I would advise you wait and see what the lecturers reccomended course books are.
Reply 3
I really don't see the point in reading before uni begins. Everyone is going to be doing the same course material and attending the same lectures etc so there's no real advantage to be had.
Reply 4
ZJuwelH
I really don't see the point in reading before uni begins. Everyone is going to be doing the same course material and attending the same lectures etc so there's no real advantage to be had.

But you are least distracted during the vacations. I always found that the time I least wanted to work was term time! :biggrin:
Reply 5
shiny
But you are least distracted during the vacations. I always found that the time I least wanted to work was term time! :biggrin:

Hehe fair enough, but personally I'd feel like a bit of a loser if I needed work to distract me during a vacation away from work...
Reply 6
Anyone here going Oxford Uni to study maths????
Reply 7
ZJuwelH

It's not a case of gettin and advantage over other students but merely just tryin to get a feel of what a uni maths course entails!!!
Reply 8
zaman002
It's not a case of gettin and advantage over other students but merely just tryin to get a feel of what a uni maths course entails!!!

Deep mathematical thought :wink:
Reply 9
shiny
Deep mathematical thought :wink:

He he he!!!! Definitely!!! :biggrin:
Reply 10
zaman002
Anyone here going Oxford Uni to study maths????

I'll hopefully be studying Physics @ Oxford in Oct! I know that isn't excatly Maths but it has a lot of Maths in it! So I'm keeping an eye on this thread for good maths books! lol. Hopefully my P4-P6 books will arrive some time this wk from amazon (I didn't do FM @ A-Level).
Reply 11
Hoofbeat
I'll hopefully be studying Physics @ Oxford in Oct! I know that isn't excatly Maths but it has a lot of Maths in it! So I'm keeping an eye on this thread for good maths books! lol. Hopefully my P4-P6 books will arrive some time this wk from amazon (I didn't do FM @ A-Level).

Physics @ oxford sounds like ur the next elpaw (female version!) :tongue:
Reply 12
Hoofbeat

Those books are good...I ended up teaching myself most of Further Maths, mostly because of a shocking attendance record at lessons. :smile:
Reply 13
integral_neo
Physics @ oxford sounds like ur the next elpaw (female version!) :tongue:

HAHAHAHAHAHA <histerical laughter>. Some how I REALLY doubt that! Let's just say if you place ppl on a scale of 1 - 10 for how good they are, Elpaw's like 10 and I'm like 1!
Reply 14
Squishy
Those books are good...I ended up teaching myself most of Further Maths, mostly because of a shocking attendance record at lessons. :smile:

I'm hoping they'll be good! We used P1-P3, M1-2 & S1 at sch in single maths lesson, so I'm hoping they'll be valuable resources!
Reply 15
Hoofbeat
I'm hoping they'll be good! We used P1-P3, M1-2 & S1 at sch in single maths lesson, so I'm hoping they'll be valuable resources!

Plus there are lots of helpful people on UKL if you get stuck. :smile:
Reply 16
Hoofbeat
I'll hopefully be studying Physics @ Oxford in Oct! I know that isn't excatly Maths but it has a lot of Maths in it! So I'm keeping an eye on this thread for good maths books! lol. Hopefully my P4-P6 books will arrive some <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=time&v=56">time</a> this wk from <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=amazon&v=56">amazon</a> (I didn't do FM @ A-Level).

Hey hoofbeat!! Yep, from what i've heard physics will have its fair share of maths and i reckon you've got a gud plan there by ordering P4-P6 coz a lot of people i've spoken to who are gonna do physics at uni have started to look up mechanics books and stuff like that when really, i think, pure maths is gonna be the key! Not wanting to sound tooooooooo technical, but i've read the Oxford Maths booklet and it says that we learn about electromagnetism in the 3rd year and to deal with 'flux lines' we use Maxwell's partial differential eqn's which is pure stuff...........ok, i've bored u there right??!!!! Good luck with gettin the grades for Oxford, hope to see u there too!!
Reply 17
zaman002
Hey hoofbeat!! Yep, from what i've heard physics will have its fair share of maths and i reckon you've got a gud plan there by ordering P4-P6 coz a lot of people i've spoken to who are gonna do physics at uni have started to look up mechanics books and stuff like that when really, i think, pure maths is gonna be the key! Not wanting to sound tooooooooo technical, but i've read the Oxford Maths booklet and it says that we learn about electromagnetism in the 3rd year and to deal with 'flux lines' we use Maxwell's partial differential eqn's which is pure stuff...........ok, i've bored u there right??!!!! Good luck with gettin the grades for Oxford, hope to see u there too!!

i thort we did electromag in the first year? I got given a booklet from St Hilda's (as they send me details of my open offer) with loads of maths questions to do and most of it is ure (P1-6) not Mechanics.

What college are you hoping to be studing physics at?

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE - 6DAYS!
Reply 18
Normally a first year treatment of electromagnetism is a basic study of electrostatics and magnetostatics, and maybe some very basic dynamic stuff in highly symmetrical situations. It won't really be until higher years that you start using vector calculus and more non-symmetrical situations.
Reply 19
Hoofbeat
i thort we did electromag in the first year? I got given a booklet from St Hilda's (as they send me details of my open offer) with loads of maths questions to do and most of it is ure (P1-6) not Mechanics.

What <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=college&v=56">college</a> are you hoping to be studing physics at?

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE - 6DAYS!

Sorry if my last reply seemed as though i was goin for physics.......i'm not!!! I've been offered at St Anne's to study maths, and to make things sounds more weird i don't even do physics for A-Level!!! I haven't recieved any booklets and stuff from St Anne's yet..............any reason why??!!!

Latest