The Student Room Group

EU;s new "space egg" building

As the EU collapses around its ears what do you think its hated and despised leadership are up to? Yep, building a new headquarters building! You couldn't make it up.

http://www.euronews.com/2016/12/08/meet-the-space-egg-the-eu-s-new-321-million-headquarters

There is an iron rule in the stock market. Whenever a company builds a big, f**k off HQ building it has taken its eye of the business and lost touch with reality.

Sell the stock.

But anyone who still holds shares in the EU (let alone considers buying into it) needs their head examining anyway.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oh a Brexiter rambling... So unusual (not).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _Fergo
Oh a Brexiter rambling... So unusual (not).

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know Berlaymont is crumbling but wouldn't the obscene amounts of money have been better spent patching it up rather than being wasted on this ego trip? What with youth unemployment i Greece being 50% and all thanks to their policies over the Euro?

Tell me, Remoaner, what exactly DO you believe in vis a vis the EU? We all know what is wrong with it but what is the positive case? What does it actually do for the people of Europe?

Anything to say on that matter?
Original post by astutehirstute
I know Berlaymont is crumbling but wouldn't the obscene amounts of money have been better spent patching it up rather than being wasted on this ego trip? What with youth unemployment i Greece being 50% and all thanks to their policies over the Euro?

Tell me, Remoaner, what exactly DO you believe in vis a vis the EU? We all know what is wrong with it but what is the positive case? What does it actually do for the people of Europe?

Anything to say on that matter?

This has nothing to do with the Berleymont. This was commissioned to hold inter-government meetings when the EU was enlarged. Chirac and Blair signed off on the project. It was that long ago.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nulli tertius
This has nothing to do with the Berleymont. This was commissioned to hold inter-government meetings when the EU was enlarged. Chirac and Blair signed off on the project. It was that long ago.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough. Still a huge waste of money though, since the EU won't even be in existence in its current bloated form in what, five years time? Ten at best. :frown:

They'd have been better off hiring conference rooms at the local Sheraton every time they need to talk about whatever nonsense they feel the need to talk about.

But of course that is beneath the great panjandums of the Eurocracy. Surprised they didn't recreate the Palace of Versailles. Sigh.

(I believe it is spelt Berlaymont, though?)
Fair enough. Still a huge waste of money though, since the EU won't even be in existence in its current bloated form in what, five years time? Ten at best. :frown:

They'd have been better off hiring conference rooms at the local Sheraton every time they need to talk about whatever nonsense they feel the need to talk about.

But of course that is beneath the great panjandums of the Eurocracy. Surprised they didn't recreate the Palace of Versailles. Sigh.

(I believe it is spelt Berlaymont, though?)

I didn't check the spelling. It was created to save money. EU meetings used to travel round. Each country got to be top dog for 6 months at a time and host all the meetings. But of course each country tried to outdo the others in extravagance. So the French would hold meetings at the real Versailles or in Martinique. Despite the fact that the Locarno Suite at the Foreign Office is sumptuous and the Old India Office was designed to receive two Maharajahs simultaneously, British Ministers visited more or less the entire National Trust estate.

Think what it used to cost to introduce Dutch to Portuguese simultaneous translation equipment for one weekend and then rip it out again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by nulli tertius
I didn't check the spelling. It was created to save money. EU meetings used to travel round. Each country got to be top dog for 6 months at a time and host all the meetings. But of course each country tried to outdo the others in extravagance. So the French would hold meetings at the real Versailles or in Martinique. Despite the fact that the Locarno Suite at the Foreign Office is sumptuous and the Old India Office was designed to receive two Maharajahs simultaneously, British Ministers visited more or less the entire National Trust estate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course it was created to save money. :biggrin:

And I am sure some bright young thing in Brussels has created a whole press release explaining it for the benefit of the young unemployed of Athens if they care to ever read it. Sure it will be a great comfort to them.

At least Marie Antoinette was ignorant of the suffering of the starving outside the gates of her palace. She didn't know any better. The Eurocracy know exactly what they are doing. What they don't know how to do, clever though they are, is how to get the continent out of the mess they have created.

It would be nice if they shared her fate, but I guess that is hoping for too much.
you don't expect them to book a Hotel Ibis to hold their meetings in do you ?
Original post by the bear
you don't expect them to book a Hotel Ibis to hold their meetings in do you ?

I said the Sheraton but the Ibis is an even better idea! :biggrin:

How about they don't hold all these meetings in the first place? It is not like they will make any difference.

The EU is like the Hapsburg Empire just before WW1. I am sure its courtiers and administrators held lots of meetings in early 1914, talking about the threats of disintegration as its multicultural society was tearing itself apart and drawing up plans to try and turn things round too.

What good did they do? Four years later it had disappeared off the face of the earth.
I can't really see it with all that scaffolding.
As the EU collapses around its ears what do you think its hated and despised leadership are up to? Yep, building a new headquarters building! You couldn't make it up.

http://www.euronews.com/2016/12/08/meet-the-space-egg-the-eu-s-new-321-million-headquarters

There is an iron rule in the stock market. Whenever a company builds a big, f**k off HQ building it has taken its eye of the business and lost touch with reality.

Sell the stock.

But anyone who still holds shares in the EU (let alone considers buying into it) needs their head examining anyway.

We're also no longer gonna be in the European Space agency, so looks like no more British people like Major Tom peak getting sent into space.
Original post by Ambitious1999
We're also no longer gonna be in the European Space agency, so looks like no more British people like Major Tom peak getting sent into space.

Factual correction: our ESA membership will be RETAINED as ESA is independent of the European union. We also just gave ESA 2bn more a year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Who cares?
With our Brexit savings, we can build 1.3 of our own space eggs every week!

/s
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Plagioclase
With our Brexit savings, we can build 1.3 of our own space eggs every week!

/s

Who do you think paid for it in the first place?

The poor old British taxpayer is the second largest contributor to EU funds.

Still, as you say, at least we won't be on the hook for future vanity projects like this.
Who do you think paid for it in the first place?

The poor old British taxpayer is the second largest contributor to EU funds.

Still, as you say, at least we won't be on the hook for future vanity projects like this.

Thank god Brexit didn't happen last year when Tom Peak was still up in space. They could have left him up there in spite. The yanks no longer do manned missions to space. Nobody would have been able to rescue him.

Just imagine that? Trapped and drifting in deep space with no way of ever getting back while earth gets smaller and smaller in the distance. That's what politics has descended to.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DreamlinerFinder
Factual correction: our ESA membership will be RETAINED as ESA is independent of the European union. We also just gave ESA 2bn more a year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe, but it's still a European organisation and Europe now hates Britain because most ESA members are EU countries. How could we ever trust them to take British astronauts into space? They might leave them up there in spite.

I doubt any British astronaut will ever go into space again. The yanks no longer do manned space missions and we can't trust the Europeans to bring our spacemen back!
Maybe, but it's still a European organisation and Europe now hates Britain because most ESA members are EU countries. How could we ever trust them to take British astronauts into space? They might leave them up there in spite.

I doubt any British astronaut will ever go into space again. The yanks no longer do manned space missions and we can't trust the Europeans to bring our spacemen back!

May I point out that only Russia and China are currently operating manned spaceflight programmes. Everyone else flies with one of these.

Don't you get tired of making this **** up?
Reply 19

Sell the stock.

Whereas repairs to the Houses of Parliament might only cost £4bn...
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/sep/08/mps-must-leave-houses-of-parliament-4bn-repairs

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending