The Student Room Group

English Language vs English Literature vs English Language & Literature

I'm really procrastinating on which English to do as a course in college so can someone who actually does/did one of these courses explain what they're like so it can help me decide, please?
I do English lit and English lang as two separate a levels (not the combined one). I find English lit more enjoyable but also harder than English lang.
I do English Literature and English Language separately and honestly I prefer English Language as it is technical and fascinating. English Literature requires analytical skills and you will be reading a lot of books and having to analyse them in detail. Ideally degrees that may require English Literature are an English degree, a Law degree or maybe a Philosophy, Politics degree etc. English Language is suited to English degrees, Psychology degrees and Law degrees. With English Language, you will analyse the meanings of texts and learn the change of language and the way we learn to read and write and speak.

Doing both at A Level combined is a good alternative if schools won't offer English Language on its own.

What do you want to do at university?
I did English Language and Literature at A level and I loved the English Language side to it because of all the linguistic theory and stuff. I love reading books but the language side appealed to me more.
English Lit is my subject. It's amazing - very enjoyable if you enjoy reading. It is considered a harder subject than English Languge or English Combined (as it's facilitating- but you should take subjects based on passion not 'facilitating') but I would say it's worth it because of how much more interesting it is. I've been told English Language on it's own can be quite dry and I would advise taking it if you wanted to do English, Psychology or Linguistics at Uni. If you want to do English at Uni I would recommend taking both separately instead of combined.
Original post by Rhythmical
I do English Literature and English Language separately and honestly I prefer English Language as it is technical and fascinating. English Literature requires analytical skills and you will be reading a lot of books and having to analyse them in detail. Ideally degrees that may require English Literature are an English degree, a Law degree or maybe a Philosophy, Politics degree etc. English Language is suited to English degrees, Psychology degrees and Law degrees. With English Language, you will analyse the meanings of texts and learn the change of language and the way we learn to read and write and speak.

Doing both at A Level combined is a good alternative if schools won't offer English Language on its own.

What do you want to do at university?

Nothing to do with English, Business and French - it's a combined course. I just wanna do English in college because I like it and I'll be sad if I never do it again after high school

Quick Reply

Latest