The Student Room Group

Major applying advice needed...please help!!

OK, so this is the thing.... I've just had my A2 results which were alright, I got an A in politics and B in Biology... but I failed miserably at Chemistry and got a D. *sad face*
Now obviously I'm going to resit to get my grades back to an A where they should be given that I got AAAB at AS, but my real dilemma is whether to apply this year or not.
I really don't want the uni's to see my rubbish chem. grade and reject me straight away... so my teacher suggested that I apply next year for 2009 entry after I've resat this January, so that when I apply, it’ll be with good grades and it will also give me the chance to get loads of work experience, making it perhaps more likely that I'll get in? Though essentially that will mean I will be taking two gap years...
So yeah, that’s the thing... what would you guy's do if you were in my position, reapply this year, or wait a year and apply then...? I know that being a vet is absolutely what I want to do, so taking something else isn't an option for me, it’s just whether to apply this year or not...
Thanks in advance for your help!

Scroll to see replies

I went to an Open Day at Edinburgh and asked them if I had a D at AS chem should i still apply? - They told me to apply but that I probably wouldnt get very far but that is I fixed it and applied again having brought a D upto an A that it would sit me at the top of the pile.
If I was you I'd apply this year, explain I'm resitting and how determined I am, and that I've got .... w.e planned. You never know you might get the oppurtunity to go a year early and if not well like Edinburgh said, pulling that D upp looks mighty impressive.
That'd be me , but only you can decide what to do.
Good Luck!
Its up to you but I'd reapply this year xxx
Reply 3
I think it depends where you apply, I know Bristol doesnt mind resits so they would have no problem with it. I dont think that it would hurt to apply this year.
Reply 4
If you apply this year and dont get in, when you apply next year they will ahve it on record that you applied before, and since it meant you aving two gap years it will show how committed you are, which would be a good thing obviously.
But arent you only allowed to apply twice? I thought unis didnt look at you after 2 applications. That may just be a myth though
Reply 6
)(--becca--)(
But arent you only allowed to apply twice? I thought unis didnt look at you after 2 applications. That may just be a myth though

I have heard something similiar, and also that you wont be considered for a place if you got rejected after interview and are retrying.
Reply 7
I remember RVC saying at an open day that they would only take 2 applications from you. Don't know if that's true or not though.

Anyway, if I were you, I'd obviously retake the Chem but look into if there's something else you could do too. Seeing as you're only taking one A2 this year you could probably have that done in January, couldn't you? Then fill up the rest of the year with wrk exp, or traveling, or a job....
Then, also, I guess, if you don't do great in January, you could probably even retake again in the summer if all goes wrong.
Reply 8
RVC generally will only look at someone twice, but then again I know people who have got in fourth time round! Bristol would be good to apply next year as theyre great for retakers and Notts too. Not sure about the rest tho. Notts do specify that you are unlikely to be reconsidered if you are rejected after interview.
Reply 9
I dunno, I got a C at AS Chemistry and applied anyway. Got interviews for all the places I applied and one offer. I also resat and brought me grades right up and informed the uni of this. The difference of one grade could have major implications though.
Liverpool says re-applicants will always get a AAA. So what will re re applicants get? I'm not sure Liverpool will consider them....
Reply 11
Thanks for all your advice guys I really appreciate it :smile:.. I think what I'm going to do is just to write/email one or two of the uni's - maybe RVC and Notts, and just see what their advice would be, if its positive, I think I'm going to apply this year, I don't think it can hurt... right? And I maybe be uber lucky and get an offer...*a muchness of hoping*
xx
Reply 12
I got 3 Interviews/offers at:
Liverpool
Edinburgh
Bristol

Rejected from notts

Predicted grades:
Chemistry-C
Biology-B
Maths-A
Physics-A

If that helps at all, just made sure that my personal statement was perfect. So it is possible to get to interviews with sub-par predictions. I also wrote an email supported by my head of 6th form to each of the unis explaining some family issues, but its still possible.
Reply 13
id say apply this year, what can it hurt, if u dont get in then reapply next year

when you fill in your ucas form put your A level grades as pending - cos they will be, since your still doing them.. so they wont actually see that you got a D. theyll only see your predicted grades.

but you will have to mention somewhere in your ps or your school reference why you are resitting, theyll probably ask you at interview what you got the first time round if you dont tell them.

if you resitting and are predicted an A then i dont see why they wouldnt consider you.
Reply 14
If you set your Chem grade to "pending", do they automatically assume that you're resitting? When I applied, I just told them my grades (AABC C-Chemistry), got my school to predict me AAA and got a really good school reference. I resat and didn't inform the unis until after I got my results (which was after my interviews). The only uni to comment on my Chem grade was Bristol and it was then that I told them why I thought my grade was so low and that I was intending on resitting the subject in January. No other uni commented on it.
Reply 15
Ive got A(bio)B(phy)CC(chem&art)...am I likely to get any interviews?
Should i retake a module in chemistry(C)?
Reply 16
Yeh ull be fine, quite a lot of people put your A level grade as pending so unless they specifically ask, no1 will know what you got! As long as you are predicted AAA/AAB
Yeah Poppy Dog I'd resit as many chem modules as you feel happy doing. Its best to stock up on AS marks as the A2 modules are harder so u may not be able to get as many marks on them. You may even want to resit a biology module or 2 just so the heats off your A2 modules abit. Resits are fantastic - some of my friends who were predicted C or less got As and Bs from just doing loads of module resits! Just make sure you only do as many as you can deal with cos you dont want to put the current module in jepardy!
you can reject your chemistry grade so its like it doesn't exist. ask your exams officer about this but you'll have to do it soon because theres a deadline. then you can reapply for next year on the chemistry grade you will get from resitting, but the unis won't see ur grade this year as its ben rejected.
Reply 19
Thanks for your help and advice everyone! I've decided I am deffinately going to apply this year.. infact I have joined UCAS again...hurrah!
I guess now I just have to do majorly well in my resits!

Latest

Trending

Trending