The Student Room Group

Bored on the train AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fefssdf
I'm coming from Nottingham and going to Kent
I'm not a dare evader as I bought my tickets online a few weeks ago, and no train tickets are expensive enough that I can't justify paying extra for first class

Where in Kent are you travelling to? I'm in Kent too, lets meet up xxxx
Reply 41
Original post by shawn_o1
I spend a lot of time looking at timetables and maps, so:
-have you passed Loughborough? How far is Bedford? Or you've already reached St. Pancras?

I am now at st Pancras ; I can't remember whether it stopped at Bedford but I know it stopped at st Pancras
Reply 42
Original post by cherryred90s
Where in Kent are you travelling to? I'm in Kent too, lets meet up xxxx

I'm in Kent and I don't know you so let's not meet up.
Original post by fefssdf
I'm in Kent and I don't know you so let's not meet up.

Wow you're rude
Are you manspreading?
Proof that us Northerners are on average much friendlier than the average Southerner! :lol:
Reply 46
Original post by FreedomTower
Proof that us Northerners are on average much friendlier than the average Southerner! :lol:

Oooh I'd like to think I'm better than average m8
Original post by fefssdf
Oooh I'd like to think I'm better than average m8

I'm sure you're brimming to the edge with all sorts of talent! :hugs:
Reply 48
Original post by FreedomTower
I'm sure you're brimming to the edge with all sorts of talent! :hugs:

Yeh exactly mateeeee
Reply 49
UPDATE : I've reached my destination woo
Reply 50
Original post by fefssdf
The fact that you just reminded me I'm doing a maths degree sends shivers down my spine . I absolute hate it and the only thing that's keep me going is the banter I have with a friend of mine who seems to hate it as much as me 😂 I'm hoping next year when I get to avoid certain things like Matlab and anything physics related it won't be as bad ... I hope

How can you forget? The moment I forget the word 'Maths' is the moment I know I'm screwed and behind :laugh :

Have you done Analysis yet? The only thing I hate the most is Abstract Algebra and Geometry.
Reply 51
Original post by fefssdf
The fact that you just reminded me I'm doing a maths degree sends shivers down my spine . I absolute hate it and the only thing that's keep me going is the banter I have with a friend of mine who seems to hate it as much as me 😂 I'm hoping next year when I get to avoid certain things like Matlab and anything physics related it won't be as bad ... I hope

Oh god, looks like you are on the exact same course I was on. I take it, you are a first year student. I would strongly suggest tackling the MATLAB issue head on. I tried to avoid it in the same way that you are suggesting. Introduction to Numerical Methods (INM - optional Pure) ended up being 40% MATLAB coursework, which I thought was only 20% when I picked it. You might be able to avoid that if you take 20 credits outside Maths, such as Britain in the World Economy (10 credits or 20 with coursework - Econ) or Addiction in the Brain (multiple-choice 10-credit 1st-year psychology module).
But the thing is, I'm not sure you can avoid the use of MATLAB in the 3rd year project. You could use a similar piece of software called R, which you will be encountering in G11STA.

Note: Everything here is from memory of the courses from 2013. I have no idea if anything is still the same or not.

Original post by kkboyk
How can you forget? The moment I forget the word 'Maths' is the moment I know I'm screwed and behind :laugh :

Have you done Analysis yet? The only thing I hate the most is Abstract Algebra and Geometry.

-ish... if the course is still the same. It's the first year module called Analytical and Computational Foundations iirc.(not to be confused with Foundations of Pure Mathematics), and it's where Maple and Matlab are taught. Probably the most difficult things to grasp in the first year. But it's a doddle compared to second year. Mathematical Analysis will come in second year.
Feeling nostalgic, so answering question not addressed to me :colondollar:
Reply 52
Original post by RVNmax
Oh god, looks like you are on the exact same course I was on. I take it, you are a first year student. I would strongly suggest tackling the MATLAB issue head on. I tried to avoid it in the same way that you are suggesting. Introduction to Numerical Methods (INM - optional Pure) ended up being 40% MATLAB coursework, which I thought was only 20% when I picked it. You might be able to avoid that if you take 20 credits outside Maths, such as Britain in the World Economy (10 credits or 20 with coursework - Econ) or Addiction in the Brain (multiple-choice 10-credit 1st-year psychology module).
But the thing is, I'm not sure you can avoid the use of MATLAB in the 3rd year project. You could use a similar piece of software called R, which you will be encountering in G11STA.

Note: Everything here is from memory of the courses from 2013. I have no idea if anything is still the same or not.

-ish... if the course is still the same. It's the first year module called Analytical and Computational Foundations iirc.(not to be confused with Foundations of Pure Mathematics), and it's where Maple and Matlab are taught. Probably the most difficult things to grasp in the first year. But it's a doddle compared to second year. Mathematical Analysis will come in second year.

I don't go Nottingham by the way. We do Analysis I and II, as well as Linear Algebra during the first year. :tongue:
Reply 53
Original post by kkboyk

no analysis isn't until next year but I've heard from second years that its pretty horrendous so I'll be trying to avoid that if possible; i pretty much hate all my modules besides stats atm
what age were u when ur parents took u on a train for the first time?
Reply 55
Original post by fefssdf
no analysis isn't until next year but I've heard from second years that its pretty horrendous so I'll be trying to avoid that if possible; i pretty much hate all my modules besides stats atm

Impossible to avoid lol. It's a core module. I'm gonna die next month :frown:

It has 'anal' in the name, so I'm gonna be screwed badly.
Reply 56
Original post by kkboyk
Impossible to avoid lol. It's a core module. I'm gonna die next month :frown:

It has 'anal' in the name, so I'm gonna be screwed badly.

Oh gosh I'm screwed ; I just finished a bit of a revision session going over some pure stuff and I'm expecting like 30% in the exam or even less ; I just don't understand how to do proofs like there's so many different methods and it's as if they're just plucked from thin air. I give up I really do
Reply 57
Original post by tamil fever
what age were u when ur parents took u on a train for the first time?

I'm not entirely sure but considering my parwnrs don't own a car I expect it was when I was very young so maybe a few months old
Reply 58
Original post by RVNmax

I'm definetly going to try and avoid all things computer related by doing modules outside maths as I just know I can get higher marks in some random psychology module than doing some horrendous Matlab assignment. I don't have to do a 3rd year project so I think I could avoid Matlab if I wanted... who knows I mean I doubt I'll even pass first year tbh as I understand pretty much next to nothing in applied, acf, linear ect ect
Reply 59
Original post by fefssdf
Oh gosh I'm screwed ; I just finished a bit of a revision session going over some pure stuff and I'm expecting like 30% in the exam or even less ; I just don't understand how to do proofs like there's so many different methods and it's as if they're just plucked from thin air. I give up I really do

How do you go about with revisions and assignments? I know exactly how you feel, because it was the same with me during the start of my degree since it puzzled me how to use set theory notations to express my answers (e.g. like { xRx>a}  \{\ x \in \mathbb{R}| x>a\}\ or just x>a x>a ).
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest