The Student Room Group

help picking a job offer

Hi, I am a student and starting work soon

I have 2 job offers, both at cafes but I am struggling which to take

1st job - I have to commute 30-40 mins by train (risk of delays, pay to travel), pay is 50p lower than the other job, but the managers and staff are v friendly and supportive, busy so I will stay occupied

2nd job - Its at a cafe 15min walk away from my house, less busy and less customers, fewer staff, manager is a bit cold but more convenient for me?

I am in a dilemma due the the diff in manager
i was thinking doing 2 days of the 2nd job at the weekend
and 2 days at the first job during the weekday and seeing how it goes?
Reply 1
Pick the 2nd job; it's a no brainer. It is ideal to work withing living distance of your job. This is because a). You'll save money, b). You'll save time, c) trains can be delayed/cancelled/even now as we are in summer trains can suffer faults due to the heat, etc. As a student, any extra time will be valuable to you, esp. as exam season approaches.

As you've said pay is lower in the job you have to travel to, I see no point in taking that job unless the manager from café 2 is really problematic.
It may be boring in job 2 and less staff etc. but you may find that the other job becomes too hectic and stressful, taking into account the journey to and from.

Think about whether spending periods of time in the café not serving customers would bother you much. If it doesn't, then you know you will be just fine in café 2.

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending