The Student Room Group

US Elite Schools/Ivy League Applicants 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys.

So I had planned on applying to US universities(Ivy league and other top unis)this December and am currently sitting my A levels this May and June session but I have screwed up my Maths IAL exam and am pretty sure that I am not going to get an A.

What I can do now is sit for it again in October(CIE or Edexcel) or January(Edexcel). I can do it in October but would much rather prefer January so my question is - Would my result reach universities in time for consideration if I do it in January since I will be applying in December this year?

January results are usually released on 3 March and certificates sent to schools by around 31 May according to edexcel's website.

https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/results-certification/understanding-your-results-information-for-students/edexcel-international-advanced-level-results-explained.html/student

I would appreciate any advice aswell. Thanks!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by CuriousGuy777
Hey guys.

So I had planned on applying to US universities(Ivy league and other top unis)this December and am currently sitting my A levels this May and June session but I have screwed up my Maths IAL exam and am pretty sure that I am not going to get an A.

What I can do now is sit for it again in October(CIE or Edexcel) or January(Edexcel). I can do it in October but would much rather prefer January so my question is - Would my result reach universities in time for consideration if I do it in January since I will be applying in December this year?

January results are usually released on 3 March and certificates sent to schools by around 31 May according to edexcel's website.

https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/results-certification/understanding-your-results-information-for-students/edexcel-international-advanced-level-results-explained.html/student

I would appreciate any advice aswell. Thanks!

It is unlikely it will be considered as part of your application. Universities look at predicted grades and actual qualifications you have (like GCSEs) to gauge your potential.

When you get your Maths result, you can always contact the university to let them know.
Original post by shanghai_on_sea
It is unlikely it will be considered as part of your application. Universities look at predicted grades and actual qualifications you have (like GCSEs) to gauge your potential.

When you get your Maths result, you can always contact the university to let them know.

:smile: Thank you for your reply. So will the result reach on time if I do it in October?

Also, can I let them know at the time when my result comes out on 3 march or when I receive my certificate later in may? And how will I let them know? By commonapp?
Original post by CuriousGuy777
:smile: Thank you for your reply. So will the result reach on time if I do it in October?

Also, can I let them know at the time when my result comes out on 3 march or when I receive my certificate later in may? And how will I let them know? By commonapp?

British results don't reach universities until you enrol. The results are not automatically sent by an exam board like they are in the UK.

Universities don't base their decisions on your A-level results. At all. It's all about GCSEs and (until recently) AS-levels, and your application as a whole (references, essays, exam scores, extra curricular activities).

When you enrol, they will want to look at your original certificates just to see if you need to take a few extra classes or go on academic probation.

If you are thinking about contacting someone at a university admissions office to update them on something significant, you should do it directly by e-mail.

Focus on your extracurricular activities, your application essays and your recommendation letters, and revise well for the SAT or ACT. These are just as important as grades.

And look at other universities; Ivy League applicants will all have straight As and A*s with no messed up exams. Spread your bets.
Original post by shanghai_on_sea

And look at other universities; Ivy League applicants will all have straight As and A*s with no messed up exams. Spread your bets.

well that's a sweeping statement. which is also very untrue
Hey guys, what is the midyear report?

My school does 'progress checks' are they like that? (Also, the grades on progress checks thend to be really bad, to scare us; if they are, I might have to talk to my head of sixth form)
For US students, it is usually your first semester's grade report. Shows the school that you are continuing to perform at a high level.
Original post by ReluctantWriter
Hey guys, what is the midyear report?

My school does 'progress checks' are they like that? (Also, the grades on progress checks thend to be really bad, to scare us; if they are, I might have to talk to my head of sixth form)
Hey guys, didn't know whether to start a new thread for those applying for the next academic year so just thought I'd post in this one. I just had a few questions. Whether I apply to the US is dependent on A level results day but when I register for the SAT, should I register for the essay component (I Plan on doing two subject tests as well). Also, I understand that when applying i'll have to submit a 'high school transcript' - what is the UK equivalent of this? Finally, I've read that I should get references from a teacher as well as someone along the lines of a pastoral tutor. I attend a pretty big school with like 1200 students in my year and I received a new pastoral tutor at the end of last year, hence she knows nothing about me and i'm pretty worried i'll get a weak reference because of that - will this reduce my acceptance chances significantly? Thanks in advance.
*I've tried googling some of the answers to these questions but have read mixed answers and wanted to find out from other UK students who've experienced the application process
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by memesherrif101
Hey guys, didn't know whether to start a new thread for those applying for the next academic year so just thought I'd post in this one. I just had a few questions. Whether I apply to the US is dependent on A level results day but when I register for the SAT, should I register for the essay component (I Plan on doing two subject tests as well). Also, I understand that when applying i'll have to submit a 'high school transcript' - what is the UK equivalent of this? Finally, I've read that I should get references from a teacher as well as someone along the lines of a pastoral tutor. I attend a pretty big school with like 1200 students in my year and I received a new pastoral tutor at the end of last year, hence she knows nothing about me and i'm pretty worried i'll get a weak reference because of that - will this reduce my acceptance chances significantly? Thanks in advance.
*I've tried googling some of the answers to these questions but have read mixed answers and wanted to find out from other UK students who've experienced the application process

This might be of some use to you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending