The Student Room Group

National Youth Theatre Audition 2017- Monologues!

Hey everyone! So i've chosen my monologue for my audition which I really love! When I first came across the monologue I thought it was funny and cute and just something I knew I would love to perfrom. I have been practising and I love it more and more everyday! However when I watch other people's monologues online they all seem to constrast massively to the type of monologue I've chosen. Where as mine seems to stereotype to the 'American teen drama' genre, the ones I see all seem to portray a deep meaningful character/situation, for instance someone who has just been admitted to an institution or having a family member die etc.

I was just wondering what NYT prefer when it comes to monologue style? It's my first time auditioning and I would love to have all the information possible. I am only going by what I have seen online, so I may be completely wrong to assume anything about monologue style, I just wanted to check and make sure!

Also good luck to anyone else auditioning! I hope you all have the best time!

:smile: x
Original post by WestEndBroadway
Hey everyone! So i've chosen my monologue for my audition which I really love! When I first came across the monologue I thought it was funny and cute and just something I knew I would love to perfrom. I have been practising and I love it more and more everyday! However when I watch other people's monologues online they all seem to constrast massively to the type of monologue I've chosen. Where as mine seems to stereotype to the 'American teen drama' genre, the ones I see all seem to portray a deep meaningful character/situation, for instance someone who has just been admitted to an institution or having a family member die etc.

I was just wondering what NYT prefer when it comes to monologue style? It's my first time auditioning and I would love to have all the information possible. I am only going by what I have seen online, so I may be completely wrong to assume anything about monologue style, I just wanted to check and make sure!

I would stick with the monologue you've chosen it sounds like you really enjoy performing it and the passion will surely show through in the audition!! Don't worry about it being too different because if anything it will make you stand out more and be remembered!!!!
I'm auditioning this year too and I've been thinking about doing the creatures monologue from Frankenstein, but I'm not sure if this is a good idea, I've heard about people doing gender bent auditions before but i'm not convinced if its a risk that'll pay off...?
Original post by Nancyeponine
I would stick with the monologue you've chosen it sounds like you really enjoy performing it and the passion will surely show through in the audition!! Don't worry about it being too different because if anything it will make you stand out more and be remembered!!!!
I'm auditioning this year too and I've been thinking about doing the creatures monologue from Frankenstein, but I'm not sure if this is a good idea, I've heard about people doing gender bent auditions before but i'm not convinced if its a risk that'll pay off...?

Thank you so much for the response! I feel so much more comfortable with my choice now and honestly I just cannot wait to audition!

I have just read this monologue and it looks fantastic! Honestly take the risk because this is a really powerful monologue! Then again only if you really really want to do it! Reading your reply i've decided to ignore all the comments that say "I wouldn't do this because of that! or "that's too common" etc... Go for it and smash it! Let me know what you decide :smile:
Original post by WestEndBroadway

Hiya!

I'm a very new member of NYT so I don't know the ins and outs of the system, but I do know that they just want you to totally be yourself. If you can relate to this monologue, and really enjoy performing it, then great!! They'll probably see loads of deep monologues so it might be nice to see something a bit more light hearted. I would suggest that whatever you do, make sure you read the play and fully understand the character.

Best of luck!! X
Original post by sophie7194
Hiya!

I'm a very new member of NYT so I don't know the ins and outs of the system, but I do know that they just want you to totally be yourself. If you can relate to this monologue, and really enjoy performing it, then great!! They'll probably see loads of deep monologues so it might be nice to see something a bit more light hearted. I would suggest that whatever you do, make sure you read the play and fully understand the character.

Best of luck!! X

Congrats!! I'm so nervous for the audition but so excited!! I definitely enjoy performing the monologue. Thank you so much! I just hope i'm not over analysing now haha xx
Hiya, I’m also audition this year and struggling to choose a monologue. Iv found one but just concerned about the swearing and bad language. Will that be an issue. Any recommendations would be brill! X

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending