The Student Room Group

Law at University pre application tips

Hi, I was just wondering what tips you guys may have for me when it comes to applying to do Law at Uni. Things like books that would be good to read, work experience ideas, university choice reccomendations and anything else that could help.
Thanks!
"Letters to a Law Student" and "Learning the Law" are good introductory books. From there, you can pick an area or two which you are interested in for further reading. Also if you are thinking Oxbridge, then it's imperative that you keep up with current affairs i.e read the news daily.

Work experience can be useful for career exploration, but is not necessary. I did several placements (from sitting in at high street firms, larger commercial firms to shadowing QCs) but only two sentences of my personal statement mentioned this. Law at university is an academic/ theoretical discipline, and not vocational- as is often mistakenly thought. You do not need to want to be a lawyer to study Law. You just need to be interested in the study of Law. You will need to demonstrate enthusiasm, good analytical and good writing skills.

Other things you could do would be enter essay competitions, debating competitions and summer schools if you are eligible.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
I also wanted to know how you managed to get work experience. I live near Southampton and have been finding it hard to find placement where I fit the criteria (as my parents both went to University)
Original post by nathangevao
I also wanted to know how you managed to get work experience. I live near Southampton and have been finding it hard to find placement where I fit the criteria (as my parents both went to University)

I didn't have any personal contacts prior to my work experiences. I did a lot of emailing and straight up asking. Most replies will be negative, or you will get no replies, but if you don't ask then you don't get! By the time I'd left high school, I'd done around 8 legal placements.

Also, some larger firms will hold placements for school students. Although a lot of this seems to be through PRIME or other social mobility foundations. I think Pinsent Masons still offer a work placements to school students, regardless of social mobility factors. You can do some googling of course. The Student Ladder is a good resource for placements.

What I suggest you do is reach out to high street or smaller firms and ask for a few mornings or afternoons of shadowing or assisting. They will be more receptive to accommodating you vs a large commercial firm. Some chambers also offer work experience to school students.

Finally, if you have any contacts, then exploit them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
I undertook work experience before applying to university. Like habeas said, its not at all necessary for applying to a law course but it was useful for CV purposes later on. I obtained one placement through a family friend and the other was arranged through my college. You would have a much better chance contacting smaller, highstreet firms if you're interested in work experience.

You could also sit in the public gallery of your local magistrates court and watch a few cases. This was something else I did and actually ended up finding it really interesting.

There are plenty of introductory academic books you can read but I chose to read memoirs of a radical lawyer which is the autobiography of Michael Mansfield QC.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending