The Student Room Group

so what now?

so half way through my a-levels i was told that no matter what my results where id have to do another 2 years at college due to my family situation(id rather not go into things) so anyway a few things happened, falling out with my best friend ect and i ended up somewhat depressed and didn't try so much with my a levels since i was told that most uni's wont take a-level students after 2 years, apparently thats nonsense though :/

but to get to the point i got 3 e's in chemistry, physics and biology and am doing my second year as a btec student for computing software to achieve ddm, honestly i want to do chemistry as a degree(part time) and then continue onward to hopefully become a researcher (I understand need a phd just need to figure out the degree first :smile: )

so considering no self respecting chemistry department would take someone that near failed their a-levels, what can i do to proceed? (as much as i like Morisons as a part time job I don't think its much of a career that id enjoy later in my life)

thanks to anyone that reply's :smile:
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Original post by DiveLikeEinStuka
so half way through my a-levels i was told that no matter what my results where id have to do another 2 years at college due to my family situation(id rather not go into things) so anyway a few things happened, falling out with my best friend ect and i ended up somewhat depressed and didn't try so much with my a levels since i was told that most uni's wont take a-level students after 2 years, apparently thats nonsense though :/

but to get to the point i got 3 e's in chemistry, physics and biology and am doing my second year as a btec student for computing software to achieve ddm, honestly i want to do chemistry as a degree(part time) and then continue onward to hopefully become a researcher (I understand need a phd just need to figure out the degree first :smile: )

so considering no self respecting chemistry department would take someone that near failed their a-levels, what can i do to proceed? (as much as i like Morisons as a part time job I don't think its much of a career that id enjoy later in my life)

thanks to anyone that reply's :smile:

If you're on track to do well in your current BTECs, look into doing a Chemistry with Foundation Year course! These are usually designed for people without science A Levels but in some cases they let you if your grades just aren't up to scratch. You might want to contact the universities in question to explain your situation as well as they may let you in on the basis of "extenuating circumstances" (but you'll obviously have to go into detail to them about what happened as well.)

Off the top of my head these universities offer the foundation year, although not all of them let you with science A Levels;

UEA

Loughborough

Kent

Southampton

Manchester

Plymouth

Leeds

Swansea

Kingston

Sussex

Liverpool

Explaining your situation they may still let you in even though you've technically done A Levels in these subjects already. You'll still need BB in Double Science or B in 2 sciences, as well as a B in Maths for most places at GCSE - some let you on with C, it very much depends.

I admire your dedication to your subject choice though, don't give up! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest