The Student Room Group

My financial situation and personal relationship

So I’m 24 in uni. But live at home.

Ever since one of my parents have died from covid I’ve found it hard to go back to work. I was given about 50k from my parent after they died. This was 3 years ago now.

I use to work a lot doing events bar staff like I even dropped out of uni for a year to work. I use to work alot and like it.

I’ve realised since the death I haven’t wanted to work. Not sure if it’s because I got alot of money easily or what.

Now I’ve been out of work for so long it’s so hard to go back. I book shifts in and don’t turn up for the last couple months.

Last year I did 8 shifts but that’s all in the last 3 years. Covid did mess me up too. I was getting furloughed because of how much work I did but yeah.

I’m finding it very difficult and I’m slightly depressed.
I’ve also being go through alot with my bf which I put to the least of my priorities but it does affect me emotionally
I’ve broke up with him yesterday not sure if this is permanent or I just said it during mist of a heated argument I’m not sure but whatever.

This is super personal but I have £11.4k in savings.
I need to pay off my kind of like a credit card but it’s called Monzo flex, need to pay off £800 by September. And I have £600 in my current account right now. I tried to stop bad habits like take always and stuff Cus that takes alot of my money.

I get student finance but it all goes on my tution fee because they stopped giving me tution fee due to the amount of years I’ve done so I get 10k and my fees are 9.2k.

I know it’s as simple as saying just go to work , like this weekend I missed out on £300 Cus I just mentally couldn’t turn up.

Like my mental state is 5 or 6/10. It’s easy to say just go to work my mentally I’m not there.

Btw I live with one of my parents so I don’t pay bills. Just one.
I’m kinda in a similar situation Im struggling with money at the moment as well and it just makes everything depressing as well as having uni on the side. If I was you I wouldn’t let it bother you get through the mental anguish of it now as later you’ll be rewarded I guess, that’s the motivation I’m giving myself now.

But I don’t know life is weird, we have to work even when our heads not there. So I get you on that part; I’ve had to get a job just to clear my Monzo overdraft and I just wish I could relax and have it taken care off.

Just work and pay off your debt, that’s what people say but the advice I’ll give to you is just think for your future and keep moving cuh it will get better.

Won’t speak on the relationship thing as that’s your choice on whatever you decide to do.
Original post by Anonymous
So I’m 24 in uni. But live at home.

Ever since one of my parents have died from covid I’ve found it hard to go back to work. I was given about 50k from my parent after they died. This was 3 years ago now.

I use to work a lot doing events bar staff like I even dropped out of uni for a year to work. I use to work alot and like it.

I’ve realised since the death I haven’t wanted to work. Not sure if it’s because I got alot of money easily or what.

Now I’ve been out of work for so long it’s so hard to go back. I book shifts in and don’t turn up for the last couple months.

Last year I did 8 shifts but that’s all in the last 3 years. Covid did mess me up too. I was getting furloughed because of how much work I did but yeah.

I’m finding it very difficult and I’m slightly depressed.
I’ve also being go through alot with my bf which I put to the least of my priorities but it does affect me emotionally
I’ve broke up with him yesterday not sure if this is permanent or I just said it during mist of a heated argument I’m not sure but whatever.

This is super personal but I have £11.4k in savings.
I need to pay off my kind of like a credit card but it’s called Monzo flex, need to pay off £800 by September. And I have £600 in my current account right now. I tried to stop bad habits like take always and stuff Cus that takes alot of my money.

I get student finance but it all goes on my tution fee because they stopped giving me tution fee due to the amount of years I’ve done so I get 10k and my fees are 9.2k.

I know it’s as simple as saying just go to work , like this weekend I missed out on £300 Cus I just mentally couldn’t turn up.

Like my mental state is 5 or 6/10. It’s easy to say just go to work my mentally I’m not there.

Btw I live with one of my parents so I don’t pay bills. Just one.

What happened to the £50k you inherited? Do you still have it?

With that sort of money you don't need a part time job unless you enjoy doing so. Instead I would spend the extra time on studies to do really well at what you want to do long term. That and/or spend more time with your bf if that is what makes you happy.

£50k can be a life altering amount at your age where you don't have to go and do part time work & jump for joy at the prospect of a bit of overtime and a few extra quid as frankly overtime money is no longer big money once you have £50k in the bank. So I would suggest you look from the shorter term part time job small money to longer term prospects. Longer term you may want to buy your own place so getting a good result on your degree and getting a good job will help with that. £50k may seem a lot now but in a few years time when wanting to buy a house that is just deposit money, you'll need way more in terms of either further savings from a good job or a high salary to afford a place. That all depends on whether you want to go it alone or in with your bf or someone else, etc.

So work wise I wouldn't worry about giving a part time job a miss, leave it to those that need the money while you can spend extra time in your studies etc - every students dream to have extra time where they are can do better at studies rather than be juggling it all and losing out on their studies. So really just focus on longer term goals now of a good career, fulfilling relationships etc as that's where it's heading anyway after Uni.
Reply 3
So to hear about what happened in the pandemic. Perhaps go and see your GP and see if you can get a young persons counsellor to help get over what you’ve been through. The right person that you hit some empathy with can really make a difference. The £50k is a nice buffer but it would be good if you can save a bit of it for future plans. Put some of it in a Lifetime or other shares ISA
Reply 4
Original post by Katerina S.
What happened to the £50k you inherited? Do you still have it?

With that sort of money you don't need a part time job unless you enjoy doing so. Instead I would spend the extra time on studies to do really well at what you want to do long term. That and/or spend more time with your bf if that is what makes you happy.

£50k can be a life altering amount at your age where you don't have to go and do part time work & jump for joy at the prospect of a bit of overtime and a few extra quid as frankly overtime money is no longer big money once you have £50k in the bank. So I would suggest you look from the shorter term part time job small money to longer term prospects. Longer term you may want to buy your own place so getting a good result on your degree and getting a good job will help with that. £50k may seem a lot now but in a few years time when wanting to buy a house that is just deposit money, you'll need way more in terms of either further savings from a good job or a high salary to afford a place. That all depends on whether you want to go it alone or in with your bf or someone else, etc.

So work wise I wouldn't worry about giving a part time job a miss, leave it to those that need the money while you can spend extra time in your studies etc - every students dream to have extra time where they are can do better at studies rather than be juggling it all and losing out on their studies. So really just focus on longer term goals now of a good career, fulfilling relationships etc as that's where it's heading anyway after Uni.

Unfortunately a lot of it is gone on materialistic stuff. I feel like I was grieving really badly and didn’t have my head where sense was. If I was given it now it would be a whole different story. I feel like people shouldn’t get inheritance money when they’re grieving

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending