The Student Room Group

Leaving college advice

Hi guys, I asked a similiar question yesterday but as i'm knew to the site I didn't really know how to bump it. I am 18 and got my A2 results in the summer (on my birthday lmao) I got CCC in media, I.T. and Geography. Not the best but not exactly terrible. I decided to do a college course, which is interactive games design at level 3 and the course is shambles. The teacher who I heard great things about left the September before I started and 3/4 of the teachers we have actually haven't done the subject before. In addition everything I am doing now is basically the stuff I did in I.T over the last 2 years. The stuff I want to learn we haven't even started and I can honestly self teach myself it if it does intrigue me. I am good at design and would like to take a gap year to learn web development, build a portfolio, continue working my part time job, start a few projects and hopefully when I have a fuller understanding start a business. I would also like to enjoy myself a bit more, start playing football again and work on my fitness which is something when working 20 hours a week and a full time college course doesn't allow you to do. I would like some advice on actually how to leave without pissing anyone off and how best to explain that to my parents who think I am throwing my life away. I know their view but at the end of the day I am 18 and am I really expected to have my life figured out committing to a job hate? Thanks In advance.
Reply 1
Original post by jamespin
Hi guys, I asked a similiar question yesterday but as i'm knew to the site I didn't really know how to bump it. I am 18 and got my A2 results in the summer (on my birthday lmao) I got CCC in media, I.T. and Geography. Not the best but not exactly terrible. I decided to do a college course, which is interactive games design at level 3 and the course is shambles. The teacher who I heard great things about left the September before I started and 3/4 of the teachers we have actually haven't done the subject before. In addition everything I am doing now is basically the stuff I did in I.T over the last 2 years. The stuff I want to learn we haven't even started and I can honestly self teach myself it if it does intrigue me. I am good at design and would like to take a gap year to learn web development, build a portfolio, continue working my part time job, start a few projects and hopefully when I have a fuller understanding start a business. I would also like to enjoy myself a bit more, start playing football again and work on my fitness which is something when working 20 hours a week and a full time college course doesn't allow you to do. I would like some advice on actually how to leave without pissing anyone off and how best to explain that to my parents who think I am throwing my life away. I know their view but at the end of the day I am 18 and am I really expected to have my life figured out committing to a job hate? Thanks In advance.

I don't understand why you didn't go to university with CCC?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AshEntropy
I don't understand why you didn't go university with CCC?

Yeah I was thinking the exact same.

To pack it in and to have yoyr parents respect your decision/ support it.

Its not a good thing to start but not finish unless you have good reason.

Things I would do are:

1. Use careers to figure out what i wanted to do. Do you wnat to go to Uni? You amke no mention so I will assume not.

2. If you want to start your own business enrol on a course and get some experience to support it.

3. Make a business plan so what do you wnat to do and what your business will consist of. Join some young entrepeneur organisation like DoE and get a grant from them.

4. Research your business and make contacts via linkedin, your own research and chamber of commerce.

5. When you have a plan then tell your parents. it might take you some time to do this, so in the meantime you cna get another job and at least they cna see you have money. you mght wish to do an apprenticeship. that would satisfy them you were doing something.
Reply 4
I don't understand why you didn't go to university with CCC?

Honestly, I expected to fail my exams. I didn't revise except the day of the exams. I didn't even bother applying to uni and my heart was kind of set on this games design course. It has turned out to be a complete waste of time. I guess i'm lucky I put the effort in when I was actually at school.
Reply 5
Honestly, I expected to fail my exams. I didn't revise except the day of the exams. I didn't even bother applying to uni and my heart was kind of set on this games design course. It has turned out to be a complete waste of time. I guess i'm lucky I put the effort in when I was actually at school.

You could always quit your Level 3 course and apply to university to study a Bachelor's degree in Games Design?
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
To pack it in and to have yoyr parents respect your decision/ support it.

Its not a good thing to start but not finish unless you have good reason.

Things I would do are:

1. Use careers to figure out what i wanted to do. Do you wnat to go to Uni? You amke no mention so I will assume not.

2. If you want to start your own business enrol on a course and get some experience to support it.

3. Make a business plan so what do you wnat to do and what your business will consist of. Join some young entrepeneur organisation like DoE and get a grant from them.

4. Research your business and make contacts via linkedin, your own research and chamber of commerce.

5. When you have a plan then tell your parents. it might take you some time to do this, so in the meantime you cna get another job and at least they cna see you have money. you mght wish to do an apprenticeship. that would satisfy them you were doing something.

Thanks for your advice pal, I don't really want to go back to school and I would have to wait until next September to try it at college. I have a LinkedIn and I have used it. I read that portfolios are just/if not more beneficial to have than qualifications and if I can demonstrate my talent plus my A Levels. I should be alright. I think.
Reply 7
You could always quit your Level 3 course and apply to university to study a Bachelor's degree in Games Design?

Something I have thought about but I did the level 3 course to find out If I enjoy it and I am good at it. I believe I can self teach myself the stuff I want to learn anyway. I have also heard the job market particularly in the UK is poor, very poor. In fact on the first day they told us that none of us will likely ever get a job at a top company. Great motivation right?
Thanks for your advice pal, I don't really want to go back to school and I would have to wait until next September to try it at college. I have a LinkedIn and I have used it. I read that portfolios are just/if not more beneficial to have than qualifications and if I can demonstrate my talent plus my A Levels. I should be alright. I think.

If you wnat to get them off your case then you need to give them reassuring onformation that you have your act together. That is all.

Btw would make an official complaint to the college about the quality of the course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending