The Student Room Group

Anyone applying to UNIQ?

Hi there! I'm not sure if this is in the right place to put this thread (I'm new) but is anyone here applying to UNIQ or already been?

I'm currently writing my PS and the 1500 character limit has really stumped me. Does anyone have any tips on being concise? Any do's and don'ts?

And how did those who were offered a place find the summer school? Did you enjoy it? Did it motivate you to apply to Oxford or the opposite?

And what is everyone applying for or what did people apply for?

I'm applying for Physics!

:h:

Scroll to see replies

I did Linguistics at UNIQ last year and it was one of the best experiences ever - you get to meet so many cool people, explore a subject you love and it's free. My advice with being concise is get your teacher to see if there's any sections you should get rid of, and see if you can replace any phrases with shorter ones. Sorry I can't be any more help, I dropped sciences as soon as I could
Reply 2
Original post by FrenchNerd2
I did Linguistics at UNIQ last year and it was one of the best experiences ever - you get to meet so many cool people, explore a subject you love and it's free. My advice with being concise is get your teacher to see if there's any sections you should get rid of, and see if you can replace any phrases with shorter ones. Sorry I can't be any more help, I dropped sciences as soon as I could

Thanks! I've found that there's so much I want to say - what I've read, where I've been to, competitions I've entered etc. Did you focus more on your experience or your opinion on Linguistics?
Original post by tanvipie
Thanks! I've found that there's so much I want to say - what I've read, where I've been to, competitions I've entered etc. Did you focus more on your experience or your opinion on Linguistics?

Both I guess - unfortunately I didn't keep my personal statement from UNIQ so I can't give you an example. If your problem is having many examples then I'd suggest ranking them (with criteria like what shows the most enthusiasm, what looks impressive etc.) and then picking the best ones to include.
Original post by FrenchNerd2
Both I guess - unfortunately I didn't keep my personal statement from UNIQ so I can't give you an example. If your problem is having many examples then I'd suggest ranking them (with criteria like what shows the most enthusiasm, what looks impressive etc.) and then picking the best ones to include.

But also remember that everything needs to answer the question "why do I want to study Physics at UNIQ?"
I applied this year! I applied for History (they have two courses but the website wasn't clear which ones were running in which weeks). I'm really worried I won't get in because I live in a really affluent area and both my parents went to university. Just applying for the summer school got me to really think about whether I wanted to go to Oxford for university (the answer is yes).

When I was writing my statement my tutor told me that examples were really important. Your statement isn't a list of everything you've done, but should instead be a collection of stuff with evidence to back it up. You could say that you like physics because of the practical application of mathematics, or you could say that you enjoy theoretical physics more. Extra reading is a good way to demonstrate your interest, so you can say you liked a book and then talk about something cool you learned in that book
Original post by tanvipie
Hi there! I'm not sure if this is in the right place to put this thread (I'm new) but is anyone here applying to UNIQ or already been?

I'm currently writing my PS and the 1500 character limit has really stumped me. Does anyone have any tips on being concise? Any do's and don'ts?

And how did those who were offered a place find the summer school? Did you enjoy it? Did it motivate you to apply to Oxford or the opposite?

And what is everyone applying for or what did people apply for?

I'm applying for Physics!

:h:

Hi, I did maths on uniq last year.
I did apply to Oxford and got interviews, but in the end I didn't apply for maths but music.
The week was a great experience, even if I was in the worst accommodation and realised I don't like the subject that much😂

I could send you my uniq personal statement if it isn't too late and assuming I can find it since I'd imagine physics isn't too dissimilar to maths in terms of personal statement :smile:
Feel free to ask any questions
Original post by Oboe_Emily
Hi, I did maths on uniq last year.
I did apply to Oxford and got interviews, but in the end I didn't apply for maths but music.
The week was a great experience, even if I was in the worst accommodation and realised I don't like the subject that much😂

I could send you my uniq personal statement if it isn't too late and assuming I can find it since I'd imagine physics isn't too dissimilar to maths in terms of personal statement :smile:
Feel free to ask any questions

Can you send me your personal statement as I thinking of applying for chemistry but I'm unsure if my personal statement is any good?

Posted from TSR Mobile
"And how did those who were offered a place find the summer school? Did you enjoy it? Did it motivate you to apply to Oxford or the opposite?"
I applied for physics and got a place so if you want to see my ps feel free to PM me :smile:
I enjoyed it and it was well worth my time even though I've ended up applying for Chemistry for uni instead.
I still some how managed to fit it into my personal statement as it was honestly a really useful experience.
It certainly motivated me to aspire higher and aim for oxbridge.

I had a slight bias towards Cambridge though because I had stayed there on their shadowing scheme and absolutely loved it.
Accommodation was well better too :colondollar: But nevertheless Oxford is really pretty too and it really just boils down to what admissions process suits you and the course obviously.

They really were so encouraging (and so they should be!) and if you end up having an oxford interview they organised meet ups (with free snacks and drinks!) during that period. It was so nice to meet up with some people I had met on the summer school :biggrin:
Yip, applied around December 15th or so. I just think it would be a really good experience, though I think I'd take a US university over Oxford :smile:
I'm thinking of applying, for maths. I have no desire whatsoever to go to Oxbridge but I think it'll be a good idea to get some experience of the place and a tiny taste of uni life. My teacher went when he was in Y12 and loved it, so I think I might apply :smile:
(Anyone wanna send me a maths PS to give me some idea of what to write?)
Here you go guys, i dont need it anymore 😂

I have always loved maths, and tried to excel in it beyond the limits set by others. For instance, I wanted to take GCSE further maths, which my school did not offer at the time. However, I considered it a worthwhile use of my time and effort, as well as an achievable target. I had discussions with my teacher and the head of maths, I was able to persuade them to enter me for the exam. After teaching myself a significant part of the course, I achieved my goal and loved the feeling of satisfaction it gave me. After leaving St Matthew’s I arranged to go back, to help younger students grasp new concepts and solve problems, both in the classroom and on a one to one basis.
I don’t find A-level maths as interesting as it could be because I have already seen most of the content before. However, I am fascinated by more advanced and diverse maths that does not fall into the curriculum, because problems I cannot immediately do are more rewarding and ultimately more enjoyable. Recently my interest was sparked when I took part in the senior UKMT and tackled problems that are unlike those in the A-level curriculum. I enjoy the variety that the questions provide as they require more logical thought than those in an A-level paper, so working my way to the answer feels much more like an achievement. For this reason, I would love the opportunity to explore further into the ever more complex world of mathematics that is not governed by a mark scheme or exam, to which answers and solutions are not instantly apparent.
Aside from my school studies, I enjoy reading books such as Ian Stewart’s Cabinet of Mathematical Curiosities. This particularly interested me through its unexpected use of intriguing yet simple maths, especially the concept of non transitive dice due to their seemingly impossible nature.
In my spare time I enjoy playing oboe in Oldham Youth Wind Band and Orchestra, and at junior RNCM. I also sing in the youth choir and play saxophone in swing band and jazz orchestra.
I applied and got in for the PPE course. Best experience! I would 10/10 recommend applying. In your personal statement show evidence of the interest in your course, but without listing things. Pick 3+ maybe pieces of evidence about why you like the course and then expand on them! Good luck!
I might apply depending on what they'll say to my e-mail. But I'd apply for Medicine.
Hi everyone

I'm thinking of applying to UNIQ for French

However when I apply to university, I'm applying to Cambridge not Oxford as I prefer the course... I want to study French and ab initio Russian

For the personal statement, do you just mention things related to your subject or other things that you do too such as if you volunteer?

:smile:
Also, for my National 5 exams (Scottish equivalent to Gcse) I got 7a's and 2b's, we have no A* grade here so an A is the highest you can get. Would the B's put me at a disadvantage?
However I did get 99% in French, 100% in German and 100% in Spanish so surely this would compensate for the B's?
Original post by ___Sophie___
Also, for my National 5 exams (Scottish equivalent to Gcse) I got 7a's and 2b's, we have no A* grade here so an A is the highest you can get. Would the B's put me at a disadvantage?
However I did get 99% in French, 100% in German and 100% in Spanish so surely this would compensate for the B's?

You'd have to look at their website for info on that! They do also ask you on the application form if you're planning on applying for Oxford. In your personal statement, you're meant to do about 80% subject and 20% other things.
Original post by StevetheIcecube
You'd have to look at their website for info on that! They do also ask you on the application form if you're planning on applying for Oxford. In your personal statement, you're meant to do about 80% subject and 20% other things.

Alright thanks. So would saying I plan on applying to Oxford make me more likely to be accepted?
Original post by ___Sophie___
Alright thanks. So would saying I plan on applying to Oxford make me more likely to be accepted?

Seeing as the summer school is for people planning on applying for Oxford, yes, I imagine so.
Applying for maths! Panicking about having to write a PS though, as I've never written one before! Good luck all :tongue:

Quite worried about the strong preference for those from a disadvantaged socio-economic background? I've always gone to state schools, but live in a fairly average area?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest