The Student Room Group

My Journey to Newcastle

This may be a bit sad but I've decided to start a sort of blog to complete during my last few months of sixth form. I've decided to do this because personally it allows me to vent my stress out when I explain it through words, which I will be doing a lot as I get stressed so easily.

First of all, a bit of info about me:
I am in my last few months at my sixth form now which normally produces excellent results. The only problem is that statistically, my local area is really poor and often one of the lowest in the country. The city in which I live has a negative reputation and there is really no prospects for where I want to go in my career. I would like to go into Law, although I'm torn currently between being a barrister or going into business law and working in the city of London or alike. Nevertheless, this is something I am passionate about and really want to excel in to actually make something of my life.

GCSE's
Pretty average performance. 3 A's, 5 B's, 1 C and 1 D. I knew I had to get my ar$e into gear.

AS
Well I got one hell of a shock to find out my ar$e gearing worked and I got AAABC. This opened up a lot more doors for me and I was able to apply to prestigious Russell Group universities.

The uni that really caught my attention was Newcastle. I visited the city for the first time a few month back on an open day and I loved it in comparison to my other choices. After that, I returned time and time again, whether to visit or to shop or to just be there because I love the city so much and feel so "at home" - to the point where I'd be sad when I had to be catching the train home!

The only problem is my course (Law) requires AAA. I find this a really daunting challenge on the face of it and those high requirements instantly put fear into me. Nevertheless, I am going to aim this high because I think "why not?" and I may as well work as hard as I can. SO, here is a breakdown of the results I'd like come August:

Law - A
Business - A (Made even more stressful by the fact that my A from AS doesn't count as the course is now linear)!
Religious Studies - A
ICT - B (Only so low because my UMS wasn't that good at AS even though I got an A, and I'm not resubmitting anything so the A may just be out of my reach).
EPQ - A preferably. Thankfully it's all finished and submitted but not entirely sure when I find out the grade. To be honest it's the last thing on my mind.

I'm not sure what my tactic at AS was because I was just working as hard as I could, so I'm stressing myself out trying to mirror my performance from last year. Either way, I really need to continue working hard and I think writing here regularly will allow me to let off steam and hopefully (if you're all as kind as you are said to be) receive some support along the way. I helped people out in all subjects I could last year and will continue to do so this year, especially Law, Business and Religious Studies as they're my strongest subjects. I have a wide range of resources I have made on TSR, at home and on other revision sites too so just pop a message in here or a quick DM to me and I'll be only too happy to help.

That's it for now I guess. Happy new year btw :colondollar:
Reply 1
I started of really stressed today because I didn't get any work started until 14:00. I had to go to my nans to see her for the last time for a while because I don't see her whilst I'm at sixth form unless we have a family get together. I also had a look on TSR for some study tips and found some really useful guides on how to cope with matters like exam stress and how to get into "the zone" and all that. They can be found under revision and study tips under the A Levels tab.

I spent about 2 hours completing some business workbooks which are filled with exam practice questions so I feel like I've achieved something there and I've also made some revision cards on TSR on globalisation if anyone wants to have a look.

Right now I'm doing a religious studies mind map on the Kingdom of God. I'll publish it on TSR when I've finished making it on the software I'm using but it'll take me a while to complete. I'm feeling a little better about this subject as I'm starting to remember quotes which is helping my confidence.

I'm a bit annoyed I haven't done any law work today, but the day just flies by once I get myself stuck into some studying so I haven't really had the chance. I'll probably do some past papers tomorrow because that's all I can really do to revise law because I know the content :P
Hi are u in year 12 or 13? Will you join this year or next?
Reply 3
Original post by TheYearNiner
Hi are u in year 12 or 13? Will you join this year or next?

Year 13, joining in September 2017 hopefully :biggrin: Yourself?
Original post by GeorgeB16
Year 13, joining in September 2017 hopefully :biggrin: Yourself?

Im in year 12 right now considering Newcastle as well for medicine hopefully i'll be seeing you in less than 2 years mate
Reply 5
Im in year 12 right now considering Newcastle as well for medicine hopefully i'll be seeing you in less than 2 years mate

You get out what you put in so if you work hard you'll get there pal! :P You should it is a fantastic place :biggrin: Have you visited before?
Original post by GeorgeB16
You get out what you put in so if you work hard you'll get there pal! :P You should it is a fantastic place :biggrin: Have you visited before?
Well I've been to Newcastle but not the university and its a great place indeed.:wink:
Reply 7
Why didn't you drop ICT? I would guess that Law doesn't require ICT so what is the point of it? If you dropped it you would have a much easier life.
Reply 8
Well I've been to Newcastle but not the university and its a great place indeed.:wink:

Visit the university as soon as you can I promise you will not be disappointed! :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by stoyfan
Why didn't you drop ICT? I would guess that Law doesn't require ICT so what is the point of it? If you dropped it you would have a much easier life.

I initially dropped Business but I picked it back up a few weeks in because the extra content in A2 is doable I think. ICT is 70% coursework and you can't revise for the exam and I only do my coursework in class and I'm on track so far so I'm not too stressed about ICT at the moment. The exam is also in May and you are given help and support at stages throughout it so it doesn't even feel like an exam and once its over, I have a month to focus purely on my main 3. Don't worry, I've considered this deeply :P

Quick Reply

Latest