The Student Room Group

What uni to pick?

I have offers for Kent, Warwick, Newcastle and UEA. Which of those is the best for English and creative writing? Which is the best uni in general? I visited Kent recently and was a little disappointed by the 'vibe' there (felt very schooly and not well-looked after) but I'm wondering what my best choice is.
Btw my offers were BCC for Kent, BBB for Newcastle and ABB for the others (got contextuals bc im disabled).
So, which university is the best overall? Most engaging? Best area? I'm not the best judge of unis so please give me your opinions!
Original post by cristalat101
I have offers for Kent, Warwick, Newcastle and UEA. Which of those is the best for English and creative writing? Which is the best uni in general? I visited Kent recently and was a little disappointed by the 'vibe' there (felt very schooly and not well-looked after) but I'm wondering what my best choice is.
Btw my offers were BCC for Kent, BBB for Newcastle and ABB for the others (got contextuals bc im disabled).
So, which university is the best overall? Most engaging? Best area? I'm not the best judge of unis so please give me your opinions!

Hi,

I may be slightly biased, but have actually personally been to both UEA and Kent (as I transferred at the beginning of second year to Kent) so maybe can give some insight? Whilst UEA is a very nice campus (in my opinion), it is fairly far from the centre/shops which I found to be a bit of a pain if I wanted to walk anywhere. I also really loved my accommodation at UEA (Hickling), however never stayed at Kent so can’t really compare. On the flip side, Kent has a really good balance of rural and city location, as it’s on the top of the hill overlooking the centre. You can walk down the hill in about 20 mins which I really like, as it feels much more convenient.

On the teaching side, as someone who has experienced both (for a different course though - I did psychology), I actually much preferred the teaching style at Kent. It definitely felt more supportive and hands-on in comparison. I was in a much larger cohort at Kent, yet the lecturers/seminar leaders always felt more approachable and willing to help/give you their time. I’ve since stayed at Kent to do postgrad study!

I can’t offer much specific insight into English & Creative writing, but hopefully this helps a little and if you have any specific questions about the unis I can try help!

Natalie
University of Kent
Original post by cristalat101

Congrats on your offers! Have you visited the other unis? 🙂 it might help to watch some YouTubers from those unis, loads of videos will probably be on tiktok as well if you don't think you'll get time to visit them.

Some points to consider:

accommodation prices for halls + accommodation prices for private housing

can second years/third years return to halls if things don't work out

research the public transport situation e.g. buses - are they reliable, how far is uni from the train station etc., is cycling an option etc

how far are those uni's from home. Check the potential train journey you'd take, how long it would take and the price (cheaper with a 16-25 railcard). Are you ok with changing over trains, some train connections might be direct, but some could potentially be over 1-2+ connections depending where you live. I for one haaaaaaaaaaaaaate changing over trains (so stressful especially when I'm lugging a heavy backpack :sadnod: )

What support is like for students who are disabled or need adjustments. All uni's will have a disability/support office or building.

Btw, make sure to apply for Disability Students Allowance when you apply for student finance - it helped me so much 😊
(edited 1 month ago)
I understand UEA has a very notable creative writing course and is rather famous for it. For the lit side I suspect they're rather similar.

Of note depending on your future aspirations - if you want to go into investment banking or management consulting Warwick would be the first choice due to being a target uni for those sectors. Outside of that it's not a big factor I think though:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending