The Student Room Group

Should I drop Computer Science?

Right so, I am currently studying Computer Science, Applied Science (BTEC) and Design Technology. I want to do a motorcycle engineering degree! I did not do Computer Science for GCSE... So I am in a room full of boys who have, Behind in that. Computer Science is already difficult so I am at a disadvantage. I'm doing good in Applied Science though (lots of coursework). I don't think Design Technology: Product Design, would really benefit me. I feel as if is unnecessary stress on my self and I don't really enjoy it. I want to get the best I can get in the other two subjects, so a D* in Applied Science and A* in Computer Science. I will try my bloody hardest to get those. I have a rough start but I need to do this. I feel as if I have to dedicate all the time I can on those two subjects and even get tutoring online for the Computer Science which my parents said they could help with... I therefore feel as if I should drop DT, but not too sure. If you need other specific details please ask, to make this decision easier, I am an intelligent girl and my parents know this too, But haven't put 100 % of effort I can do. I feel like I need a weight of shoulders, and drop it so I can COMPLETELY FOCUS on the things I want to do. Then again I feel like I wimp because I want to drop DT, but I dunno if it can be possible for me personally to get the top grades or try my bloody hardest too while having DT there... Even If I don't get top grades my teachers could write a good reference to the uni which does count for something big. Please help. Thanks
Update: I don't know what I want anymore. I even want to do an apprenticeship instead. I hate school and a levels!!!! But my parents are forcing me.
Original post by supermoto99
Right so, I am currently studying Computer Science, Applied Science (BTEC) and Design Technology. I want to do a motorcycle engineering degree! I did not do Computer Science for GCSE... So I am in a room full of boys who have, Behind in that. Computer Science is already difficult so I am at a disadvantage. I'm doing good in Applied Science though (lots of coursework). I don't think Design Technology: Product Design, would really benefit me. I feel as if is unnecessary stress on my self and I don't really enjoy it. I want to get the best I can get in the other two subjects, so a D* in Applied Science and A* in Computer Science. I will try my bloody hardest to get those. I have a rough start but I need to do this. I feel as if I have to dedicate all the time I can on those two subjects and even get tutoring online for the Computer Science which my parents said they could help with... I therefore feel as if I should drop DT, but not too sure. If you need other specific details please ask, to make this decision easier, I am an intelligent girl and my parents know this too, But haven't put 100 % of effort I can do. I feel like I need a weight of shoulders, and drop it so I can COMPLETELY FOCUS on the things I want to do. Then again I feel like I wimp because I want to drop DT, but I dunno if it can be possible for me personally to get the top grades or try my bloody hardest too while having DT there... Even If I don't get top grades my teachers could write a good reference to the uni which does count for something big. Please help. Thanks
Update: I don't know what I want anymore. I even want to do an apprenticeship instead. I hate school and a levels!!!! But my parents are forcing me.

If you want to do a degree, you'll need three A Levels for the vast majority of universities, or get high grades in 2 subjects and rely on unis that just want UCAS points. Do you have any ideas of where you'd like to do motorcycle engineering if you did go to uni?

Remember at the end of the day it is your decision, you need to talk to your parents about it as uni/apprenticeship decisions are very important. Once you start either of them you'll be an independent person, so they need to get used to that. Have you looked up what you'd need to do an apprenticeship in it? :smile:

Try not to panic, you just need to take a step back and research exactly what you need
Reply 2
Original post by Gingerbread101
If you want to do a degree, you'll need three A Levels for the vast majority of universities, or get high grades in 2 subjects and rely on unis that just want UCAS points. Do you have any ideas of where you'd like to do motorcycle engineering if you did go to uni?

Remember at the end of the day it is your decision, you need to talk to your parents about it as uni/apprenticeship decisions are very important. Once you start either of them you'll be an independent person, so they need to get used to that. Have you looked up what you'd need to do an apprenticeship in it? :smile:

Try not to panic, you just need to take a step back and research exactly what you need

Well I know what Uni I want, its swansea. You only need 32 ucas points (equivalent for one a level) for the foundation year, and 112 for three years!! I have done a lot of research on it. For the three years I should have done maths or physics with something else but I didn't get to do that so I have to do the foundation year I'm pretty sure which is easy to get into!
Well I know what Uni I want, its swansea. You only need 32 ucas points (equivalent for one a level) for the foundation year, and 112 for three years!! I have done a lot of research on it. For the three years I should have done maths or physics with something else but I didn't get to do that so I have to do the foundation year I'm pretty sure which is easy to get into!

Have you told your parents that?
Reply 4
Have you told your parents that?

Yes, my mum's telling me to talk to someone at the school who can help me etc...
Yes, my mum's telling me to talk to someone at the school who can help me etc...

I'm assuming you discussed your decisions with the school too, what did they say?
Reply 6
I'm assuming you discussed your decisions with the school too, what did they say?

I haven't yet :/
I haven't yet :/

Best to discuss it with them, regardless of whether you're looking for someone to 'help you' as your mum wants or not, your school is the expert here in both applications, your past and current performance and the logistics of dropping a subject :smile:
Reply 8
If it's not too late, consider picking up Maths, the foundation of your chosen degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Best to discuss it with them, regardless of whether you're looking for someone to 'help you' as your mum wants or not, your school is the expert here in both applications, your past and current performance and the logistics of dropping a subject :smile:

Alright I'll try thanks
Reply 10
Original post by ChrisD0
If it's not too late, consider picking up Maths, the foundation of your chosen degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Originally, I wanted to do maths, physics and chemistry. But my gcse grades just couldnt make the scratch because i didnt work as hard as i could've. So i dont think they will let me do maths.

Quick Reply

Latest