The Student Room Group

A level subject overlap

Hi, I want to do Economics at University with my A levels being Maths, Economics, Computer Science and Business Studies. I want to drop either Computer Science or Business. I have been advised to stay away from Business and Economics together however im finding Computer Science difficult and I feel i would get a lower grade (probably a B) whereas in Business i will most likely get an A/A*.

Can I still get into a decent Russel Group with the Business and Economics overlap providing I get A/A* in my other subjects? Should I drop business instead and and carry on with CS with the lower grade? Im nearing the end of Year 12 and want to make my decision soon so please help !!
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Why take computer science If you’re pursuing economics? it won’t help you in future at all.
And yes, it’s also true that business studies and economics overlap and universities prefer candidates who have a range of subjects.
So, given that you want to drop either one of the aforementioned subjects and you find computer science difficult, I would suggest you drop computer science.
Original post by Jakzz05
Hi, I want to do Economics at univeristy with my A levels being Maths, Economics, Computer Science and Business Studies. I want to drop either Computer Science or Business. I have been advised to stay away from Business and Economics together however im finding Computer Science difficult and i feel i would get a lower grade (probably a B) whereas in Business i will most likely get an A/A*.

1. Can i still get into a decent Russel Group with the Business and Economics overlap providing i get A/A* in my other subjects? I’m looking at universities in the range of Birmingham Will taking Computer Science and risk getting a lower grade be more detrimental? Im nearing the end of Year 12 and want to make my decision soon so please help !!
Original post by Jakzz05
Hi, I want to do Economics at univeristy with my A levels being Maths, Economics, Computer Science and Business Studies. I want to drop either Computer Science or Business. I have been advised to stay away from Business and Economics together however im finding Computer Science difficult and i feel i would get a lower grade (probably a B) whereas in Business i will most likely get an A/A*.

1. Can i still get into a decent Russel Group with the Business and Economics overlap providing i get A/A* in my other subjects? I’m looking at universities in the range of Birmingham Will taking Computer Science and risk getting a lower grade be more detrimental? Im nearing the end of Year 12 and want to make my decision soon so please help !!

Look at the Entry requirements section on the course pages of uni websites for the unis that you might apply to. Then decide which subject you can drop.
As above, each uni will decide whether they consider certain subjects as overlapping so you need to get your info directly from them before making any decisions.
Reply 4
Original post by Help Meee
Why take computer science If you’re pursuing economics? it won’t help you in future at all.
And yes, it’s also true that business studies and economics overlap and universities prefer candidates who have a range of subjects.
So, given that you want to drop either one of the aforementioned subjects and you find computer science difficult, I would suggest you drop computer science.

i did not know what I wanted to pursue in the future when choosing my a levels so I chose what I thought I enjoyed and was good at.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Jakzz05
i did not know what I wanted to pursue in the future when choosing my a levels so I chose what I thought I enjoyed.

Mnay schools don't allow people to take Economics and BS - you need to check as some unis won't count both.
Reply 6
Original post by normaw
Look at the Entry requirements section on the course pages of uni websites for the unis that you might apply to. Then decide which subject you can drop.

Original post by Admit-One
As above, each uni will decide whether they consider certain subjects as overlapping so you need to get your info directly from them before making any decisions.

I have looked at entry requirements for universities that I may apply to, alot of them are very vague and none of them state anything about the overlap except for Durham, LSE, Oxbridge and Warwick (Im not thinking about applying to these anyway)

I have contacted Birmingham, Exeter, Loughborough, Sheffield, York, Manchester and they have said the combination of subjects are fine. However, when speaking on the phone with their admission teams they didn't sound too convincing (saying that if its not on their entry requirements page then its fine).

I know Economics is competitive. Some of my teachers are saying I should stick with CS as it makes my application stronger while others are saying the lower grade will count more options out compared to the overlap. What shall I do?
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by Jakzz05
I have looked at entry requirements for universities that I may apply to, alot of them are very vague and none of them state anything about the overlap except for Durham, LSE, Oxbridge and Warwick (Im not thinking about applying to these anyway)

I have contacted Birmingham, Exeter, Loughborough, Sheffield, York, Manchester and they have said the combination of subjects are fine. However, when speaking on the phone with their admission teams they didn't sound too convincing (saying that if its not on their entry requirements page then its fine).

I know Economics is competitive. Some of my teachers are saying I should stick with CS as it makes my application stronger while others are saying the lower grade will count more options out compared to the overlap. What shall I do?

There’s no such thing as a ‘stronger’ subject so ignore that advice. I’d fulfil the essential and any preferred subject requirements and then do whatever I was likely to do the best in.

If you got verbal advice about overlap and they didn’t sound too convinced with what they were saying, email them and get it in writing before dropping anything.
Reply 8
Original post by Jakzz05
i did not know what I wanted to pursue in the future when choosing my a levels so I chose what I thought I enjoyed and was good at.

This happens.
I totally relate with you!
And YES, I’d suggest that if possible you should try not to drop any of the subjects because first of all 2 of your subjects overlap and computer science can give you an edge over other candidates majority of whom have just 3 subjects. Secondly, it can serve as a backup in case(God forbid) you don’t get a decent grade in any of your sub.
The choice is totally yours tho cuz you’d know your academic strengths and weaknesses better than anyone else.
Reply 9
Original post by Help Meee
This happens.
I totally relate with you!
And YES, I’d suggest that if possible you should try not to drop any of the subjects because first of all 2 of your subjects overlap and computer science can give you an edge over other candidates majority of whom have just 3 subjects. Secondly, it can serve as a backup in case(God forbid) you don’t get a decent grade in any of your sub.
The choice is totally yours tho cuz you’d know your academic strengths and weaknesses better than anyone else.

I agree but Im defo going to drop a subject - cant handle all 4. Im stronger in Business than Comp sci so I think dropping Comp Sci is the wisest choice despite the overlap. Hopefully can still get into decent russell group unis for econ.
(edited 10 months ago)
Have you fed back to your college that this combination of subjects has limited your choices. If they’d advised you better a year ago then you might not have overstretched and picked 4 subjects and might have made a better choice for your 3rd subject. They really should have flagged it as an issue to you 12 months ago.
Reply 11
Original post by PQ
Have you fed back to your college that this combination of subjects has limited your choices. If they’d advised you better a year ago then you might not have overstretched and picked 4 subjects and might have made a better choice for your 3rd subject. They really should have flagged it as an issue to you 12 months ago.

recently I asked my teachers and they have mixed opinions, some say it will while others say it should be fine. Nobody said anything about my subjects when picking them, quite afew people from my school also take Maths Business and Econ.
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest