The Student Room Group

Local slang

Does anyone else find that when talking to friends who live in different parts of the country, they have a whole different range of slang words which make it sound like they're talking a different language? :rolleyes: I've been catching up with an old friend who'd moved to London and he keeps calling me "posh girl" because I don't know the terms he uses. I just think we're both familiar with totally different slang terms. So I thought I'd post a thread for those terms you've heard people from other areas use, but don't understand! And if you like post any particularly unusual local slang of your own here then go for it.

So, to start off, my friend called me "nang" and I have no idea what it means! Anyone?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If I'm correct that means you are good.

But slang is utterly ridiculous and I refuse to use it, if that makes me 'posh' then so be it :tongue:
Reply 2
AntiMagicMan
If I'm correct that means you are good.

But slang is utterly ridiculous and I refuse to use it, if that makes me 'posh' then so be it :tongue:

If thats the way you want it 'r' kid I am sure ya gather will be very pleased with ya.

PS I have no idea what nang means.
Reply 3
Those buffoons on the blazin' squad messageboard use it every 3rd word.

... I wasn't on the blazin' squad messageboard no-siree.
It's making me feel better than I'm not the only one who didn't know :rolleyes:

According to http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/n.htm:
nang - Adj. Excellent, great. [London use]

Spot on AntiMagicMan. So I guess I'll take it as a compliment... :tongue:
Reply 5
nang is an old word. as in, i was using it in year 7, along with 'speng' and 'ming'
Reply 6
fishpaste
Those buffoons on the blazin' squad messageboard use it every 3rd word.

... I wasn't on the blazin' squad messageboard no-siree.

You do realise that this post is going to be archived for a veeeeeeeerrrrry long time. :biggrin:
Ey up, gadge, I just seen this proper mad as bewer throw a radgie coz some monkey hanger stole her stottie.

Now I may have used all those terms regularly before, but I hope to god I've never actually used that many in the same sentence. And if anyone (not from Middlesbrough) can decipher that then fair play to you.
Reply 8
stressedstudent
It's making me feel better than I'm not the only one who didn't know :rolleyes:

According to http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/n.htm:
nang - Adj. Excellent, great. [London use]

Spot on AntiMagicMan. So I guess I'll take it as a compliment... :tongue:

I do tend to pick these things up with everyone around me using them, but I'll be damned before I help proliferate their usage :biggrin:. But I guess I already have, oh well :tongue:.
Reply 9
goldenbarnes
Ey up, gadge, I just seen this proper mad as bewer throw a radgie coz some monkey hanger stole her stottie.

Now I may have used all those terms regularly before, but I hope to god I've never actually used that many in the same sentence. And if anyone (not from Middlesbrough) can decipher that then fair play to you.

If someone said that to me I would assume they had some sort of learning difficulty... :biggrin:
Pegasus
If someone said that to me I would assume they had some sort of learning difficulty... :biggrin:

BOOOOO hisss

Believe it or not that slang's used regularly by most people on Teesside, although I would regularly myself only use the word 'gadge'. :cool:
Reply 11
I knew what nang meant, but I am exposed to London slang quite a lot!
I haven't heard "nang" since year nine.

MB
Reply 13
Does anyone else use the word "grockle"? As in... "there goes another grockle" or "that grockle shop". (Not giving away the meaning just yet :smile:)
musicboy
I haven't heard "nang" since year nine.

MB

Oh yea, I remember it came after the word "ming"

MB
Reply 15

I've lived in London all my life and never heard the term "nang". And definitely not "grockle" :confused: .
Reply 16
Let's make a word up, proliferate it, and see how long until a stranger uses it in everyday conversation.

How about "yerdy" ... somebody invent a meaning.
Reply 17
Sarky

I've lived in London all my life and never heard the term "nang". And definitely not "grockle" :confused: .

I think grockle is just a westcountry thing, but I just want to see if anyone else has heard of it :smile:
Reply 18
blissy
I think grockle is just a westcountry thing, but I just want to see if anyone else has heard of it :smile:

Ah ok. (Shuts up and goes back to her corner) :smile:
Reply 19
Me and my mates have invented a whole varity of slang words for us to use.

Latest

Trending

Trending