The Student Room Group

Is ‘humbled’ a compliment or a put down here?

Okay, so I am neurodiverse and don’t really understand the meaning of ‘humbled’ in this phrase and would be grateful for interpretations/explanations.

Basically I suggested to an old school friend about meeting up for a coffee when we were both home. In short they couldn’t make it at the time. They sent this message as a part of our conversation on messenger:

“I appreciate the effort you took to ask me, I am humbled by that. But it is very difficult to meet as I am never in one country for long enough at the moment.”

What does ‘humbled’ mean here? Is it a nice thing to say or not? I’m quite confused.
Original post by Vertigo321
Okay, so I am neurodiverse and don’t really understand the meaning of ‘humbled’ in this phrase and would be grateful for interpretations/explanations.

Basically I suggested to an old school friend about meeting up for a coffee when we were both home. In short they couldn’t make it at the time. They sent this message as a part of our conversation on messenger:

“I appreciate the effort you took to ask me, I am humbled by that. But it is very difficult to meet as I am never in one country for long enough at the moment.”

What does ‘humbled’ mean here? Is it a nice thing to say or not? I’m quite confused.

I think it is a nice thing, I think they mean that they are flattered that you took the time to ask them to meet up for a coffee but unfortunately they are unable to do that.

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by flowersinmyhair
I think it is a nice thing, I think they mean that they are flattered that you took the time to ask them to meet up for a coffee but unfortunately they are unable to do that.

Spoiler

I sort of get it? I’m going to be a pain now and ask you what you mean by flattered!

Do you think their tone suggests we may meet up one day in the future and do they still see me as a friend?
I sort of get it? I’m going to be a pain now and ask you what you mean by flattered!

Do you think their tone suggests we may meet up one day in the future and do they still see me as a friend?

They feel kind of honoured that you would ask them, but I'm not sure whether you'll meet up in the future or they see you or whether they see you as a friend. They may be trying to be nice, but I'm not entirely sure.
"Humbled" was a very strange word to put there lol
Reply 5
Thanks so much - I really appreciate your insights.

I was just wondering if anyone reading this who is neurotypical could give me a neurotypical insight (that’s what it was written from).
Reply 6
Original post by quagmiretoilet
"Humbled" was a very strange word to put there lol

How do you mean?
How do you mean?

I'm not suggesting that this is what the person meant because more often than not people can use a word in such a way that they do not fully comprehend its meaning. "Humbled" means to have been brought to a level of less importance or pride. In their message did they really mean to say that they felt less important or prideful when you asked them out for coffee? I should not think so because it would imply that there was a "step-down" in some sense, having been invited by you that is.

I hope this makes sense.
Reply 8
Original post by quagmiretoilet
I'm not suggesting that this is what the person meant because more often than not people can use a word in such a way that they do not fully comprehend its meaning. "Humbled" means to have been brought to a level of less importance or pride. In their message did they really mean to say that they felt less important or prideful when you asked them out for coffee? I should not think so because it would imply that there was a "step-down" in some sense, having been invited by you that is.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks!

Yeah, that makes sense. In fact it is why I asked this and am so confused myself. When I look up humbled in a dictionary the definition of that particular word does not really fit the sentence.

I sort of wondered is it a neurotypical thing not to fuss about the definition of words as much as I (as a neurodiverse) might. From a neurotypical perspective, even though the word ‘humbled’ is odd, would you say the overall meaning of the sentence was friendly/positive towards me?

Humbled by definition is “to make someone understand that they are not as important or special as they thought”.
however, recently, it has been used and thrown around a lot more online. Thus, some may have picked up the word in their own meaning. For instance, a way my friends have used humbled is “oh I missed the train, I was humbled”- meaning the train didn’t wait for them and they were ashamed they missed the train. More of a slang way to use it.

in the context of your message, I believe they meant it not by dictionary definition. Rather, they believe it means something else. In the full message, I take it as this “thank you for asking me. I’m glad you asked me (substituted as humbled you asked me) however I do not have the time”.

I perceive it as friendly and merely a “I’m glad you asked”
Thanks!

Yeah, that makes sense. In fact it is why I asked this and am so confused myself. When I look up humbled in a dictionary the definition of that particular word does not really fit the sentence.

I sort of wondered is it a neurotypical thing not to fuss about the definition of words as much as I (as a neurodiverse) might. From a neurotypical perspective, even though the word ‘humbled’ is odd, would you say the overall meaning of the sentence was friendly/positive towards me?

As the user above said, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and assume it's a slang way of thanking you.

Quick Reply

Latest