The Student Room Group

Wanting to change A-Levels

Basically I’ve been in year 12 for 3 days now, I’m doing A-Level History and BTECs Health and Social, Applied Science and EPQ. I finally had my first Applied Science lesson today (3 actually 💀) and I absolutely hated it, it literally made me depressed thinking that I would be doing this for the next two years and it would get harder.

I’m thinking of changing Applied Science for English Language, my head of sixth form and head of English wanted me to do it for A-Level since I got a 7 in it. I’m wanting to do either occupational therapy or physiotherapy at university so I’m not sure whether it would be good to drop Applied Science or not (if anything I’m doing Health and Social). So I was just wanting to hear some people’s advice on what I should do.

Many thanks
Reply 1
Original post by emmyb100
Basically I’ve been in year 12 for 3 days now, I’m doing A-Level History and BTECs Health and Social, Applied Science and EPQ. I finally had my first Applied Science lesson today (3 actually 💀) and I absolutely hated it, it literally made me depressed thinking that I would be doing this for the next two years and it would get harder.

I’m thinking of changing Applied Science for English Language, my head of sixth form and head of English wanted me to do it for A-Level since I got a 7 in it. I’m wanting to do either occupational therapy or physiotherapy at university so I’m not sure whether it would be good to drop Applied Science or not (if anything I’m doing Health and Social). So I was just wanting to hear some people’s advice on what I should do.

Many thanks

If you feel like you don’t like a course, switch it. I’ve been doing a course I hate and it seriously affects my grades since my teacher is just awful. A-level English Language is WAY different from GCSE (ie. no creative writing), and it’s actually classed as a science by a lot of unis since it’s more about how the brain works to learn a language, accents and slang (think sociology, psychology + history’s weird little baby). It would go better with history, though it might be a lot of work since they’re both very essay based and require 3000 word courseworks, especially as you’re also doing an EPQ. Most universities will probably be fine if you don’t do a science course if you’re doing Health and Social Care, but I’m not too familiar with it (Google some unis near you and find out!!)
Original post by emmyb100

Many thanks

If you don't like it then swap it.
There's nothing worse than having to do something you don't like for 2 years. Plus you wont do as well if you dont like it. Most 6th forms/colleges let you swap subjects within the first few weeks. Double check on unis websites to see if there's any specific a-levels they require before confirming your choice. Other than that you can choose whichever subjects you want.

Quick Reply

Latest