Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I have an offer to study PPE from 4 UK uni's, Kings, Exeter, Manchester and Warwick. Additionally, I also have an offer from the Australian National University to study the same discipline. I was very much inclined to pursue my education in UK but for an outsider (Indian), there is a strict work visa issue. I really don't want to come to India after my Undergrad and want to pursue a career in Investment Banking. Australia on the other hand has liberal work visa permits as well as their Permanent Residency visas. Please advise the right thing to do.
    • TSR Support Team

    TSR Support Team
    Your chances of being allowed to remain in Australia after university are much higher than in the UK, on that basis I would say go to ANU. That said, you shouldn't assume either country will let you stay, coming back to India is a possibility wherever you go.

    The Australian National University is arguably the best university in Australia, but the examiners mark very harshly.

    Bear in mind that at the end of your 3-year PPE degree at the ANU, you will only graduate with an ordinary degree. Investment banking is competitive and so it may look good for you if you have an honours degree. However, unlike in the UK, getting into the honours program (a special 4th year, in which you write a thesis, after the initial 3-year degree) in Australia is usually very competitive. Honours is reserved for top students. Typically, only fewer than 10 students (not ≥10% as is the case in the UK!) graduate with first class honours in each cohort at the ANU. This is why 3-year Australian degrees are arguably less portable if you want to work elsewhere in the world due to the tendency of employers to equate UK honours with Australian honours.

    In stark contrast, completing a 3-year degree in the UK will give you an honours degree unless you're thick. 10% or more of the cohort will graduate with firsts. Your degree will be recognised back home in India as an honours degree. However (as rightly pointed out by Snufkin), the downside is that it would be harder to migrate to the UK with the current Brexit situation, and I understand that you would want to settle in either the UK or Australia.

    It's your choice, but my advice would be either to go all the way in Australia (4-year honours degree in the ANU, aiming to be one of the top 10 students with firsts) or to get a first in the UK (top ≥10% of your year).
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.