Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which do you think is the most important science? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Out of physics, biology and chemistry, Which do you think is most important?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Physics
    It's also the most interesting science

ReputationRep:
    Physics

ReputationRep:
    Psychology.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Physics II

Chemistry 0

Biology 0

ReputationRep:
    Biology and chemistry have done far more to improve the quality of life for people than physics has ever done, chemistry has probably been responsible for the greatest loss of life of all 3 sciences, so biology wins by default.

ReputationRep:
    1. Physics
    2. Chemistry
    3. Biology.

In that order. So physics imo is the most important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigYoSpeck)
    Biology and chemistry have done far more to improve the quality of life for people than physics has ever done, chemistry has probably been responsible for the greatest loss of life of all 3 sciences, so biology wins by default.
    Biology invented Germ and Biological Warfare (worth at least 5 000 years' history's worth of killing)

Physics isn't slacking with inventing Nuclear Warfare (most deadly weapon in modern times).

Chemistry not so evil with inventing dynamite* (involves chemical reactions).

*The inventor of dynamite did make amends by inventing the Nobel Peace Prize.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I disagree.

ReputationRep:
    Geology
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherub012)
    Psychology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePricklyOne)
    Biology invented Germ and Biological Warfare (worth at least 5 000 years' history's worth of killing)

Physics isn't slacking with inventing Nuclear Warfare (most deadly weapon in modern times).

Chemistry not so evil with inventing dynamite* (involves chemical reactions).

*The inventor of dynamite did make amends by inventing the Nobel Peace Prize.
    Chemistry not so evil? How about the metallurgy in knives and swords, the gunpowder in bullets, the chemicals in chemical warfare, the fuel in every bomber, tank, warship and ballistic missile.

Nuclear weapons may be the most potentially deadly, but throughout the course of human history more life will have been lost to weapons reliant upon chemistry than any other science. Those dudes are evil!

(Original post by Pikachū)
    I disagree.
    I agree, you disagree.

ReputationRep:
    Physics, then Chemistry and then Biology comes last purely because I hate plant biology. (flipping quadrats and transects who the heck gives a heck.)

ReputationRep:
    I don't think this is a very useful question because the different sciences deal with different areas. Physics will be useless when dealing with organisms, medicine etc and biology will be useless when talking about how natural laws work. Chemistry is the central science, but there are also many areas where biology or physics will be more useful so it really depends on the scientific context.

And this is coming from a chemist.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry not so evil? How about the metallurgy in knives and swords, the gunpowder in bullets, the chemicals in chemical warfare, the fuel in every bomber, tank, warship and ballistic missile.

Nuclear weapons may be the most potentially deadly, but throughout the course of human history more life will have been lost to weapons reliant upon chemistry than any other science. Those dudes are evil!
    And yet those things wouldn't have happened without man's capability of thinking and inventing, which is biology

ReputationRep:
    Fuel and metals are not evil in themselves.

Fuel helps cars and trains move and metals can be made into spoons & homes.

And Chemistry has nothing to do with medicine and lives saved?

C'mon, Chem guys, you're the good guys

ReputationRep:
    All that killing just to get a date, man's inhumanity to man and animals....that's Biology, isn't it?

But where does Maths fit in the Most Bad*ss Science of 'Em All chart?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    I don't think this is a very useful question because the different sciences deal with different areas. Physics will be useless when dealing with organisms, medicine etc and biology will be useless when talking about how natural laws work. Chemistry is the central science, but there are also many areas where biology or physics will be more useful so it really depends on the scientific context.

And this is coming from a chemist.
    That's why I didn't say what I meant by 'important' because everyone defines what makes something important differently. I tried to keep it a very open Question

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    And yet those things wouldn't have happened without man's capability of thinking and inventing, which is biology
    Man is an example of biology, man existing and thinking isn't a scientific application of biology.

(Original post by ThePricklyOne)
    Fuel and metals are not evil in themselves.

Fuel helps cars and trains move and metals can be made into spoons & homes.

And Chemistry has nothing to do with medicine and lives saved?

C'mon, Chem guys, you're the good guys
    The materials and chemicals aren't evil, mans motives when developing them were. I'm still sticking with more evil having been done with scientific advancements in the field of chemistry, and more scientific advancements in the field of chemistry come from evil motivations than the other sciences.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.