The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Physics
Physics II

Chemistry 0

Biology 0
Psychology.
Biology and chemistry have done far more to improve the quality of life for people than physics has ever done, chemistry has probably been responsible for the greatest loss of life of all 3 sciences, so biology wins by default.
1. Physics
2. Chemistry
3. Biology.

In that order. So physics imo is the most important.
Original post by BigYoSpeck
Biology and chemistry have done far more to improve the quality of life for people than physics has ever done, chemistry has probably been responsible for the greatest loss of life of all 3 sciences, so biology wins by default.

Biology invented Germ and Biological Warfare (worth at least 5 000 years' history's worth of killing)

Physics isn't slacking with inventing Nuclear Warfare (most deadly weapon in modern times).

Chemistry not so evil with inventing dynamite* (involves chemical reactions).

*The inventor of dynamite did make amends by inventing the Nobel Peace Prize.
Reply 7

I disagree.
Geology:biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by Cherub012
Psychology.

Original post by ThePricklyOne
Biology invented Germ and Biological Warfare (worth at least 5 000 years' history's worth of killing)

Physics isn't slacking with inventing Nuclear Warfare (most deadly weapon in modern times).

Chemistry not so evil with inventing dynamite* (involves chemical reactions).

*The inventor of dynamite did make amends by inventing the Nobel Peace Prize.

Chemistry not so evil? How about the metallurgy in knives and swords, the gunpowder in bullets, the chemicals in chemical warfare, the fuel in every bomber, tank, warship and ballistic missile.

Nuclear weapons may be the most potentially deadly, but throughout the course of human history more life will have been lost to weapons reliant upon chemistry than any other science. Those dudes are evil!

Original post by Pikachū
I disagree.

I agree, you disagree.
Physics, then Chemistry and then Biology comes last purely because I hate plant biology. (flipping quadrats and transects who the heck gives a heck.)
I don't think this is a very useful question because the different sciences deal with different areas. Physics will be useless when dealing with organisms, medicine etc and biology will be useless when talking about how natural laws work. Chemistry is the central science, but there are also many areas where biology or physics will be more useful so it really depends on the scientific context.

And this is coming from a chemist.
Chemistry not so evil? How about the metallurgy in knives and swords, the gunpowder in bullets, the chemicals in chemical warfare, the fuel in every bomber, tank, warship and ballistic missile.

Nuclear weapons may be the most potentially deadly, but throughout the course of human history more life will have been lost to weapons reliant upon chemistry than any other science. Those dudes are evil!

And yet those things wouldn't have happened without man's capability of thinking and inventing, which is biology :wink:

Fuel and metals are not evil in themselves.

Fuel helps cars and trains move and metals can be made into spoons & homes.

And Chemistry has nothing to do with medicine and lives saved?

C'mon, Chem guys, you're the good guys :smile:
All that killing just to get a date, man's inhumanity to man and animals....that's Biology, isn't it?

But where does Maths fit in the Most Bad*ss Science of 'Em All chart?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I don't think this is a very useful question because the different sciences deal with different areas. Physics will be useless when dealing with organisms, medicine etc and biology will be useless when talking about how natural laws work. Chemistry is the central science, but there are also many areas where biology or physics will be more useful so it really depends on the scientific context.

And this is coming from a chemist.

That's why I didn't say what I meant by 'important' because everyone defines what makes something important differently. I tried to keep it a very open Question :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
And yet those things wouldn't have happened without man's capability of thinking and inventing, which is biology :wink:

Man is an example of biology, man existing and thinking isn't a scientific application of biology.

Original post by ThePricklyOne
Fuel and metals are not evil in themselves.

Fuel helps cars and trains move and metals can be made into spoons & homes.

And Chemistry has nothing to do with medicine and lives saved?

C'mon, Chem guys, you're the good guys :smile:

The materials and chemicals aren't evil, mans motives when developing them were. I'm still sticking with more evil having been done with scientific advancements in the field of chemistry, and more scientific advancements in the field of chemistry come from evil motivations than the other sciences.
Man is an example of biology, man existing and thinking isn't a scientific application of biology.

The materials and chemicals aren't evil, mans motives when developing them were. I'm still sticking with more evil having been done with scientific advancements in the field of chemistry, and more scientific advancements in the field of chemistry come from evil motivations than the other sciences.

But evil motivations.......that's biology.

Also Maths. 'Coz when mankind couldn't count beyond 4, they stayed in the cave instead of developing more sophisticated societies which then waged war on each other.

Latest

Trending

Trending