The Student Room Group

How do stand out when applying for a Masters? Comp sci to be specific.

Hi, im starting my BSc in Computer Science in a month and was thinking about the possibility of doing a masters afterwards. I am of course aiming for a First and i do believe i will get there 100%, other than trying to find internships over the summers etc, im looking for ways in which someone could stand out when applying for the Top Universities in the UK, im currently headed off to Aberystwyth, but i want to keep my options open and whatnot.
Original post by LeviLM
Hi, im starting my BSc in Computer Science in a month and was thinking about the possibility of doing a masters afterwards. I am of course aiming for a First and i do believe i will get there 100%, other than trying to find internships over the summers etc, im looking for ways in which someone could stand out when applying for the Top Universities in the UK, im currently headed off to Aberystwyth, but i want to keep my options open and whatnot.

Hey,

When I applied for my master's in 2021, most universities were mainly interested in my grades (normally they want a 2:1 or a first). But they also are interested in additional experiences (such as internships as you said) and evidence of your interest in pursuing further education. For instance: wider reading; attending conferences/talks; and short courses. These are some of the many ways you can show your wider interest in computer science. Also, having a good idea of why you want to do the master's is important, as most universities generally want a 'personal statement' of sorts, so using this to evidence your interest in computer science/a specific area in computer science that has inspired you to pursue a master's.

Also, it's great that you're thinking of applying for a master's so early so you can be prepared, but don't put too much pressure on yourself now & just enjoy your first year (it's good to have it in the back of your mind, but I personally didn't even think about applying till my final year and still managed just fine!). :smile:

Best of luck with starting uni!!

Natalie
Reply 2
Thank you Natalie :smile:
Original post by University of Kent
Hey,

When I applied for my master's in 2021, most universities were mainly interested in my grades (normally they want a 2:1 or a first). But they also are interested in additional experiences (such as internships as you said) and evidence of your interest in pursuing further education. For instance: wider reading; attending conferences/talks; and short courses. These are some of the many ways you can show your wider interest in computer science. Also, having a good idea of why you want to do the master's is important, as most universities generally want a 'personal statement' of sorts, so using this to evidence your interest in computer science/a specific area in computer science that has inspired you to pursue a master's.

Also, it's great that you're thinking of applying for a master's so early so you can be prepared, but don't put too much pressure on yourself now & just enjoy your first year (it's good to have it in the back of your mind, but I personally didn't even think about applying till my final year and still managed just fine!). :smile:

Best of luck with starting uni!!

Natalie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending