Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am in Year 9, choosing my GCSEs. Are these options OK?
    English Lang
    English Lit
    Maths
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics
    French
    Chinese
    Astronomy
    Geography
    Graphics
    RS
    Computer Science
    Music Tech/ History
    Which is more respectable? Music (they recently changed it to music technology) or History which I don't particularly like. I just choose one. Thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arianna rules)
    English Lang
    English Lit
    Maths
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics
    French
    Chinese
    Astronomy
    Geography
    Graphics
    RS
    Computer Science
    Music Tech/ History
    Which is more respectable? Music (they recently changed it to music technology) or History which I don't particularly like. I just choose one. Thanks guys
    I'd say History is more respectable unless you're planning on going into a career/higher education course involving music or performance etc.

However choose the one you enjoy - for a start history has so much content that it's really hard to get a good grade if you don't enjoy it, plus nobody really cares what GCSEs you take, it's just whether it'll let you do the A Levels you want to do (and as you don't like history I'm guessing you wouldn't want to do a level history) and what grades you get on them. You're doing loads of GCSEs anyway so if I were you I wouldn't want the added stress of a GCSE I don't even like.

ReputationRep:
    I second what the person above me said. If you don't enjoy history it's hard to get a good grade because you have to learn a lot of content really thoroughly, also you need to be good at writing essays following a set structure. Oh and being able to write quickly in exams helps. Music is less respectable I suppose but it's more creative which might add some more variety to your subjects? Also it shouldn't be ~too~ difficult if your already competent at playing an instrument. But to be honest your options don't matter that much. Just pick whatever you prefer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't choose Quanitity over Quality is my advice, If you overwork yourself you get mediocre grades across your GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you're set on a career path for the future, and even if you are, what you pick doesn't really matter at all, it's more A Level options that you should be more careful about, but you don't need to think about that yet. Like above, quality over quantity, DO pick things you enjoy or you tend to slack if you don't care for the subject, happens to many people. 😊
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arianna rules)
    English Lang
    English Lit
    Maths
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics
    French
    Chinese
    Astronomy
    Geography
    Graphics
    RS
    Computer Science
    Music Tech/ History
    Sounds like a good set of GCSE options to me All the usual compulsory subjects, some languages, then a nice mixture of humanities and more science-y subjects

I'd say go for Music Tech over History if you're not interested in History - as others have said, it's a subject you have to enjoy and put a fair amount of effort into to do well, and if you're already relatively musically talented Music Tech should be pretty easy to get a good grade in

In terms of how your GCSEs will affect your future, tbh they only affect which subjects you can study at A level. Not taking History GCSE means you're probably not able to take History A level (although some schools would still allow it), but if you don't like the subject anyway it doesn't matter. In terms of how "respectable" your subjects are - you've got loads of really well respected subjects, and it's totally acceptable to take an easy one or two. Universities really don't care what GCSE options you took as long as you did well in English and Maths - they might briefly look at the number of A*/As you got (without really caring that much how "hard" those subjects were) but tbh your A levels are so much more important. Also, universities understand that some schools only offer a very limited number of GCSE options or force students to select subject options from particular timetable blocks - therefore your choice of GCSE options isn't really something they worry about.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.