The Student Room Group

Meng or Beng + Msc Strathclyde PGT scholarship

Hi all,
I'm currently an English student studying at a Scottish university. I'm in the second year of a four or (five if Meng) course and so far I am averaging at a first. I'm now considering whether when I graduate I should stay where I am currently to do a five year Meng or move to do an MSc elsewhere. The department where I am currently is ok, but so far I have not been particularly impressed and wouldn't really want to spend an extra year here if I can help it. As a result, I've been looking at other institutions particularly at Strathclyde, as they provide a £3000 scholarship towards the tuition cost of PGT courses for rUK students, tuition ordinarily being £9000. I know that generally a Meng is preferred over Beng + MSc because it is usually a cheaper route. However, this is a particular exception due to the scholarship. Would taking this route make me any less employable than a Meng graduate or reduce my chances of achieving chartership? Also, what are the implications in terms of student finance as I know post graduate masters are funded separately? even though overall I will be taking out less debt (in theory) then if I completed a Meng at my current institution. The cost of tuition will effectively work out to be 36k for Meng 33K or Bsc+meng + the experience of another city.

Cheers guys
It doesn't make a massive difference, go to Strathclyde for the change of scenery.
I am not a UK student so I don't really know that much about how the loan system works but if you say the loans are treated completely separately as you say they are then that is a major point to consider. So are you saying that if you go for the (BEng + MSc) route you will be paying 6% of your income over £21000 in addition to the 9% over £21000 commitment from the undergrad loan? That would mean effectively paying 15% of income over £21000 for first 10-15 years of career instead of just the 9% from the MEng route, major consideration if this is the case. Hopefully other home students will provide more insight on which path is better from a financing standpoint.

From an academic standpoint, (BEng + MSc) can't put you at a disadvantage as you will be covering more material than someone doing just a MEng if you opt for that path. With (BEng + MSc) you cover 160 credits in your masters year whilst with the MEng you cover 120 credits. The MSc and the MEng are both at the same NVQ level so even though the MSc covers 40 credits more than the MEng it is still not a 'higher' qualification, they are both masters degrees.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by syconiss
I know that generally a Meng is preferred over Beng + MSc because it is usually a cheaper route. However, this is a particular exception due to the scholarship. Would taking this route make me any less employable than a Meng graduate or reduce my chances of achieving chartership?

The MEng is "preferred" on behalf of the students due to the finances - and at £9,000 per undergrad fees year this may not always be the case any more. From the employers' perspective, they're not really all that bothered about the difference. MSc, MEng, both are masters level qualifications. I'd be much more focused on what you will get out of said educations rather than the difference between MEng and MSc.
Assuming you are considering getting chartered at some point, and we're only talking about accredited courses, the employer probably won't care, because they are generally seen as equal. Also, I think the idea that doing an MSc at a different university improves your career prospects is a myth that is perpetuated. Universities are businesses and they want as many students (customers) as they can get.

Once you a) get past your first job or b) get chartered, nobody will care for the difference.
Original post by History98
From an academic standpoint, (BEng + MSc) can't put you at a disadvantage as you will be covering more material than someone doing just a MEng if you opt for that path. With (BEng + MSc) you cover 160 credits in your masters year whilst with the MEng you cover 120 credits. The MSc and the MEng are both at the same NVQ level so even though the MSc covers 40 credits more than the MEng it is still not a 'higher' qualification, they are both masters degrees.

I agree with your points, but I presume you mean NQF (National Qualifications Framework) now QCF (Qualifications and Credit Framework), not NVQ, which is a qualification itself.
Original post by addylad
I agree with your points, but I presume you mean NQF (National Qualifications Framework) now QCF (Qualifications and Credit Framework), not NVQ, which is a qualification itself.

Yes, I meant to say they are both at the same NQF Level.

Quick Reply

Latest