The Student Room Group

Sheffield vs Nottingham for Economics

Hello guys,
I'm applying for several universities in England. I come from Italy and am finishing my bachelor studies in Economics and Management.

I have been accepted by University of Sheffield for 1 year master degree in Economics and Public Policy and by Nottingham as well but for 2 years' master degree (Economics (conversion - postgraduate diploma) in the first year + Msc in Economics of monetary and financial policy).

I have been rejected by Birmingham and Leeds.
I am on the waiting list for European Political Economy at LSE (my top choice)

I wish to ask you if you can provide me with some comparisons between Sheffield and Nottingham. On the one hand, Nottingham should be more prestigious, especially for Economics, on the other hand my studies in Sheffield would last just one year (which means paying less and maybe getting a job faster).

Choosing from them is really a hard choice for me. Nottingham could win for its really tough 2 years programm, but still not sure for this huge amount of time.

Thank you so much,
Michele
Some stats first: Nottingham is ranked 9th in the U.K. for economics, so in the top 10, while Sheffield comes 26th.

Based on this, I'd say that Nottingham's course is more prestigious, and will probably leave you with better job prospects at the end of the course, which may well outweigh one extra year of potential earnings if you choose Sheffield.

Plus, Nottingham has a good international reputation - it has campuses in China and Malaysia - which could help you if you don't plan to work in the U.K. after graduation.

At the end of the day though, they are both excellent Russell Group universities - and well Done on getting offers.

I'm also still waiting to hear back from LSE, so I know how tense it is!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending