The Student Room Group

Studying A-Level Philosophy Independently

Hello everyone,

thanks in advance for any light that can be shed on this matter.

I am a mature student, 26 years old, who has long passed my GCSE's and A Levels. However, I would like to begin studying once again and have ambitions of enrolling into university for a Bachelors in Philosophy. Nonetheless, I do not have a qualified institutional background in Philosophy and have only my self study to lean on. This has brought me to the decision of returning to A Level's, as it would possibly make things easier in regards to applying for university. My query is, how would I approach studying A Level Philosophy independently in my own time? I understand that an exam would need to be taken with an official examining board such as AQA/Edexcel, nevertheless, I am a little vague of the process. I have looked at private tutors and would consider this, but would I formerly enrol with the examination board firstly or would I apply for the examination once I feel I am ready to take it off my own back?

Thanks again,

Kindest Regards
You find a school or college that will enter you for the exams. Hopefully AQA is exams only because it can be a bit more complicated if coursework is required as you'll need a teacher at the centre to mark your work.

Self teaching is possible with a humanities based A level.

That said, what A levels do you already have? It is very possible to get onto all kinds of uni course with no previous study in a particular subject.
Reply 2
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
You find a school or college that will enter you for the exams. Hopefully AQA is exams only because it can be a bit more complicated if coursework is required as you'll need a teacher at the centre to mark your work.

Self teaching is possible with a humanities based A level.

That said, what A levels do you already have? It is very possible to get onto all kinds of uni course with no previous study in a particular subject.

Thanks for your response beautifulbigmacs,

I have a BTec Extended Diploma in Music, so you can probably guess the difficulty I'm facing trying to study a subject such as Philosophy with no A Levels. Many universities require two A Levels to run parallel with the BTec. I do not know whether coursework is included although I think with a private tutor this may eliminate that hurdle.

Kindest Regards
Original post by CLS90
Thanks for your response beautifulbigmacs,

I have a BTec Extended Diploma in Music, so you can probably guess the difficulty I'm facing trying to study a subject such as Philosophy with no A Levels. Many universities require two A Levels to run parallel with the BTec. I do not know whether coursework is included although I think with a private tutor this may eliminate that hurdle.

Kindest Regards

I'm from a music background too. Have been able to get onto further humanities courses through this.

My advice is to ignore prestige and enquire to some unis of interest. A level philosophy will enhance your options but it may not be crucial.
Reply 4
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
I'm from a music background too. Have been able to get onto further humanities courses through this.

My advice is to ignore prestige and enquire to some unis of interest. A level philosophy will enhance your options but it may not be crucial.

That is promising to hear,

I will be contacting several uni's for more advice on the matter.

Thank you again
Hello,

I self taught the old specification of AQA philosophy 2 years ago without a private tutor and managed to get a B, I had started studying a few months before the exam date so it's definitely doable. If you're not used to writing essays I think a tutor is definitely a good idea for help with essays and exam technique.

It's also worth looking into Access courses, I'm currently doing one at the University of Liverpool and it's great. Also with Access diplomas there's more funding (I don't have to pay for mine at all) and they're just as well respected as A Levels (I've got offers from Manchester and Oxford so far). Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest