The Student Room Group

Don't know if I should keep doing 4 A-Levels

My school half term is coming up and I will have to decide whether I drop my 4th subject or keep doing 4. My 4th subject is Philosophy and Ethics and my 'main' subjects are Math/Phys/FM.

I'm having a bit of a dilemma because I see all sorts of different approaches to the idea of 4 A-levels as some Unis regard Maths and FM to be one subject, whereas Unis also don't care if you do more than 3. I want to ideally do (Mechanical/Electrical)Engineering at Uni but I also feel like doing Math/Phys/FM is quite 'limiting' in a way.

I'm just asking to see what anyone else in Sixth Form/Uni would think about this situation
first of all, Math and FM are defo treated as 2 subject by most uni and they like to see it as there is a high barrier to do further math than other subject, so ur defo gonn abe higher up on the list. If ur looking for top top uni, keep 4th alevel as it shows ur dedication to academic and it shows u can handle to work load (independent learner, dedicated)
Reply 2

NO University requires or prefers 4 A levels.

The majority of UK Unis regard Maths and FM as 2 different A levels.

No Engineering degree requires Philosophy and Ethics.

AAA will always look better than ABBB.

Original post by McGinger

NO University requires or prefers 4 A levels.

The majority of UK Unis regard Maths and FM as 2 different A levels.

No Engineering degree requires Philosophy and Ethics.

AAA will always look better than ABBB.

The possible AAA > ABBB is something that is now something that I'm thinking is why I should drop my A-levels now. I know I can do other things in place to help get into a top uni such as reading books relevant to Engineering and taking advantage of any more opportunities to contribute to Uni. I guess it also makes sense that 4 A-Levels would be a bigger risk since the increasing workload would probably drag the grades down.
Reply 4
Original post by serterweryerper
My school half term is coming up and I will have to decide whether I drop my 4th subject or keep doing 4. My 4th subject is Philosophy and Ethics and my 'main' subjects are Math/Phys/FM.

I'm having a bit of a dilemma because I see all sorts of different approaches to the idea of 4 A-levels as some Unis regard Maths and FM to be one subject, whereas Unis also don't care if you do more than 3. I want to ideally do (Mechanical/Electrical)Engineering at Uni but I also feel like doing Math/Phys/FM is quite 'limiting' in a way.

I'm just asking to see what anyone else in Sixth Form/Uni would think about this situation

All of the unis i've applied to see FM and Maths as 2 separate qualifications as a fellow (chemical) engineering applicant and they've still offered me places based on this
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest