The Student Room Group

Anyone doing AQA A level computer science?

If so, how's your project going?
I was feeling pretty good about it at first but now I feel like it isn't that great.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by coatsoft
I was feeling pretty good about it at first but now I feel like it isn't that great.

Well I'm doing AQA A level computer science, but I'm in Year 12 so we haven't started our project yet. Wouldn't mind lending a hand if you're stuck with your project, I'm confident I can help you with the programming/design section if you'd like.
Original post by coatsoft

I finished my project just before Christmas, have you started the documentation yet? I'm not sure how long/detailed the documentation should be
Reply 3
Original post by vanguardsean
I finished my project just before Christmas, have you started the documentation yet? I'm not sure how long/detailed the documentation should be

Yeah I'm also unsure really. I understand that it's less focused on the documentation than the old spec was but that's about it.
What sort of projects are you guys doing? I'm working on a piece of EPOS software. I was recently shown some guidance about how they decide what mark you'll get for your technical solution, and it seems they do have relatively high expectations. I wish I'd known about it because I've been struggling to "chuck in" examples of use of tree data structures, stacks, queues, etc. So far, I have a search algorithm which searches a csv file of transactions and allows the user to maintain an overall database. I'm just worried that my project does not meet the A-level standard. I have many other small side projects, such as a program that converts an image to ASCII but I've already written about 3000 lines of code for the EPOS, I've hardly written any documentation. Anyone else feel like the project is killing them? haha.
Reply 5
Original post by Waterbuckit
What sort of projects are you guys doing? I'm working on a piece of EPOS software. I was recently shown some guidance about how they decide what mark you'll get for your technical solution, and it seems they do have relatively high expectations. I wish I'd known about it because I've been struggling to "chuck in" examples of use of tree data structures, stacks, queues, etc. So far, I have a search algorithm which searches a csv file of transactions and allows the user to maintain an overall database. I'm just worried that my project does not meet the A-level standard. I have many other small side projects, such as a program that converts an image to ASCII but I've already written about 3000 lines of code for the EPOS, I've hardly written any documentation. Anyone else feel like the project is killing them? haha.

What guidance were you shown about how they decide what mark you'll get? I'm having some doubts as to whether my project is good enough as well.
Original post by AmarRPM
What guidance were you shown about how they decide what mark you'll get? I'm having some doubts as to whether my project is good enough as well.

I'll ask my teacher if I can get a copy! Do you know when the pre-realease materials are coming out?
What are you working on?
Approx how many pages is everyone on for documentation?
Reply 8
Project is ''meh" - still coding and struggling due to time. Ah well. How is everyone revising for paper 1 (coding paper)?
Original post by Yusufff
Project is ''meh" - still coding and struggling due to time. Ah well. How is everyone revising for paper 1 (coding paper)?

u think i've glanced at that thing
It's getting there but the deadline is a week and there is still plenty of things I need to flesh out.
Original post by Marc575
It's getting there but the deadline is a week and there is still plenty of things I need to flesh out.

Why is your deadline so early?
Original post by luciferhf
Why is your deadline so early?

Teachers have decided that the project has to be wrapped up so we can focus on the programming exam.
Original post by Marc575
Teachers have decided that the project has to be wrapped up so we can focus on the programming exam.

Wish we got given an early internal deadline - would've probably got it all done by now!
Original post by Yusufff

I've been going through it and commenting methods/statements that aren't obvious on first glance. Not really sure what else I can do, I've looked at the specimen and thought about what they may ask. I believe there'll probably some kind of validation question, then something in regards to object orientation, like implementing a new animal that extends the animal class and overrides its methods. Not sure honestly.
(edited 7 years ago)
Can anyone help me with the actual programming part of the project?
Reply 16
Ya, if you pm me i can help.
Tbf i am also worried mine will not meet a-level standard - I am making a software that shows all orders coming into the business, and based on these orders it allows the user to look at statistics, history of sale etc. My document is on 42 pages ish, baring in mind I am stil missing most diagrams I should have included, and have not yet started any other sections other than analasys and design.
Original post by peterxz
Ya, if you pm me i can help.
Tbf i am also worried mine will not meet a-level standard - I am making a software that shows all orders coming into the business, and based on these orders it allows the user to look at statistics, history of sale etc. My document is on 42 pages ish, baring in mind I am stil missing most diagrams I should have included, and have not yet started any other sections other than analasys and design.

That's a lot more then me, mine is nowhere near 42 pages. My teacher is useless and he's left our whole class clueless. My project is on a website for a hotel. If you'd like I can email you what I've done and you could maybe show what you've done and what I need to include?
Original post by Joseph....
Can anyone help me with the actual programming part of the project?

What language are you using?
VB.Net. I also need help with my project. My project is based on a hotel website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending