The Student Room Group

Will this ruin my chances of getting into a top university?

Hi, I am currently in year 12 and am doing: maths, further maths, economics and physics. I plan on studying economics at a top university however, I am thinking about dropping further maths completely and just doing 3 subjects at As and A level as, I was was predicted a C in further maths but an A in all my other subjects. Will only doing 3 subjects at AS ruing my chances of going to a top university?
The standard offer for the overwhelming majority of universities is 3 A levels. You will not be disadvantaged if you take 3 and do exceptionally well. Put it another way, A*A*A is infinitely better than AAAA
Reply 2
Original post by Reality Check
The standard offer for the overwhelming majority of universities is 3 A levels. You will not be disadvantaged if you take 3 and do exceptionally well. Put it another way, A*A*A is infinitely better than AAAA

So it doesn't really matter whether I take 3 or 4 subjects at As level as long as I do well in 3 subjects at A level?
Original post by spyer21
Hi, I am currently in year 12 and am doing: maths, further maths, economics and physics. I plan on studying economics at a top university however, I am thinking about dropping further maths completely and just doing 3 subjects at As and A level as, I was was predicted a C in further maths but an A in all my other subjects. Will only doing 3 subjects at AS ruing my chances of going to a top university?

It won't, but you're likely not to get into a place like cambridge (or likely to struggle deeply if you do get in) if you're struggling with further maths
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by spyer21
So it doesn't really matter whether I take 3 or 4 subjects at As level as long as I do well in 3 subjects at A level?

Correct. If you think it's a choice between doing extremely well in 3 subjects, or just doing 'well' at 4, then always go for three. You may need to pick them more carefully for certain courses, but 3 subjects is perfectly acceptable. It's just less common now than it used to be because people feel they're somehow going to be at an advantage with 4. But as I say, no university will require you to have a fourth A level.
Original post by Reality Check
...as I say, no university will require you to have a fourth A level.

I think his concern is about not having at time of application the now usual 4th AS that is then commonly dropped, rather than about not having a 4th A level.
You dont need the extra AS anymore, just do an epq instead
I hear that due to some subjects being reformed that actually some universities don't consider AS Levels, because not everyone takes them anymore. They do check GCSEs. I was in a similar boat as you, I got AAAD at AS Level and have received all my offers from top 15 unis for economics, even an unconditional so take from that what you will.
Original post by spyer21

We would say that it is far better to excel in 3 than to do less well in 4 or more but that Further Mathematics is highly advantageous for the highly mathematical Cambridge Economics course. If you're not on track to do very well in maths then you should make sure you're happy with the content of the various economics courses or make sure that you work hard at improving your maths marks.
Original post by spyer21

If I was you, I would check out the entry requirements of the universities you think you might be interested in :smile:

Just so you have piece of mind that you're making the right decisions now :h:

Sorry to hijak this thread. I'm also in Yr 12 and aspiring to study Economics and apply to UCL, LSE and Cambridge. Having read the requirements for an offer on websites for the unis listed
and some of the threads on student room, it appears that preference is given to students studying FM as a 4th subject as oppose to another subject. Can anyone confirm if this is the case? Are there any current or previous offer holders that didn't study FM at A levels and still managed to secure an offer, if so can you please share your subjects, grades, offers and what made your application stand out to warrant an offer?
My A levels subjects are Maths, French, Economics and History and yet to decide whether to do an EPQ or not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending