The Student Room Group

Do I need an insurance?

Hi
Do I need to choose an insurance uni when making my choices? The uni that I want to choose has given me the offer ABC and my second choice offer is AAC, so what I'm asking is, is there any point in me putting down an insurance if the offer is higher than my firm?

Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)
There is no point in putting an insurance higher than your firm, your insurance can only ever be used if you don't make your firm offer, so if your insurance has higher grades then you obviously won't get that either. It is still a good idea to put down an insurance (unless you plan to go into clearing or something if you don't make the grades).
Reply 2
Original post by lizardlizard
There is no point in putting an insurance higher than your firm, your insurance can only ever be used if you don't make your firm offer, so if your insurance has higher grades then you obviously won't get that either. It is still a good idea to put down an insurance (unless you plan to go into clearing or something if you don't make the grades).

Thats what I thought, but my uni offers are ABC ABC AAB AAB so I don't actually have any offers that are lower than the oneI want to put as my firm so Im not sure what to do
If that's the case, it won't make any difference whether you put an insurance or not as you will never end up at the insurance place whether you get your firm or not. If you don't make your firm you could always go through clearing anyway.
Original post by Kiimii
Hi
Do I need to choose an insurance uni when making my choices? The uni that I want to choose has given me the offer ABC and my second choice offer is AAC, so what I'm asking is, is there any point in me putting down an insurance if the offer is higher than my firm?

Thanks!

It's a slim chance but worth doing if you'd be happy with going to your insurance choice. If you miss your firm on a technicality and they're full (eg if you got A*AD) then you have another chance to go somewhere you like.

Just take some time pre-results to research (and maybe even visit) universities that ask for BBB and lower for your subject. Then if things don't go to plan you know some options for clearing without it being a mad panic.
Reply 5
is there any chance that some unis accept you even if i miss 1 grade or something? like if my firm rejected me could my insurance still accept me? or should I just not put an insurance down and then if i don't meet the grades go straight to clearing?

Original post by PQ
It's a slim chance but worth doing if you'd be happy with going to your insurance choice. If you miss your firm on a technicality and they're full (eg if you got A*AD) then you have another chance to go somewhere you like.

Just take some time pre-results to research (and maybe even visit) universities that ask for BBB and lower for your subject. Then if things don't go to plan you know some options for clearing without it being a mad panic.

I'll definitely research unis for clearing just in case, hopefully i'll meet the grades for my firm though! :smile:
Original post by Kiimii
is there any chance that some unis accept you even if i miss 1 grade or something? like if my firm rejected me could my insurance still accept me? or should I just not put an insurance down and then if i don't meet the grades go straight to clearing?

I'll definitely research unis for clearing just in case, hopefully i'll meet the grades for my firm though! :smile:

Lots of universities accept applicants with lower grades but it will usually depend on the profile of missed grades and whether they have the capacity.
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
Lots of universities accept applicants with lower grades but it will usually depend on the profile of missed grades and whether they have the capacity.

ok thank you so much for your help!! :smile:
Original post by lizardlizard
There is no point in putting an insurance higher than your firm, -snip- so if your insurance has higher grades then you obviously won't get that either.

Not strictly true. My ideal firm/insurance was Cambrideg/ICL, and the offers I got were A*A*A (maths, further maths and Physics)/A*A*AA (Maths, Chemistry A*). The Imperial offer was higher, but it is possible I could meet that and miss the Cambridge offer.

Quick Reply

Latest