The Student Room Group

PhD funding in UK for Ukrainians.

I desperately want to do a PhD in the UK in neuroscience.
I have a possibility to conduct one in Southampton Uni, but I need to cover the difference in the fees (Overseas - UK/EU rates) by myself.
I could not find any opportunities for funding for me being Ukrainian and applying for a PhD in the UK.
The University of Southampton has no scholarships available, and so does Ukrainian government.
Popular international funding organisations (like Commonwealth and Newton Fund) do not have Ukraine in the list of countries they support.

Is here any Ukrainians who solved this puzzle?

I'm really desperate. Thanks for the help.
Speak to the admissions department and ask for funding opportunities. If the university doesn't have it I'm afraid you're a bit stuck. As you're EU you count as Home student so there's not much funding opportunity and the Uk doesn't provide student loans to anyone for PhD studies. If you are studying a Masters you can apply for student loans. International have loads more available to them in terms of scholarships.
Original post by Blueberry37
Speak to the admissions department and ask for funding opportunities. If the university doesn't have it I'm afraid you're a bit stuck. As you're EU you count as Home student so there's not much funding opportunity and the Uk doesn't provide student loans to anyone for PhD studies. If you are studying a Masters you can apply for student loans. International have loads more available to them in terms of scholarships.

Ukraine is not in the EU.
phd loans will be coming in 2018, im not sure if youll be eligible but its always worth ringing student finance to check
Reply 4
Original post by Blueberry37

Ukraine is not in EU, that's the thing. I have contacted with the admissions office, they have no international opportunities for funding.
Reply 5
Original post by PinkAcid
phd loans will be coming in 2018, im not sure if youll be eligible but its always worth ringing student finance to check

I'm not eligible for the loans since I'm international student :/
Original post by Kseno
Ukraine is not in EU, that's the thing. I have contacted with the admissions office, they have no international opportunities for funding.

Sorry my mistake. But have you thought of another university then? A lot of them, in fact most of them, have international scholarships.
Reply 7
Original post by Kseno
I desperately want to do a PhD in the UK in neuroscience.
I have a possibility to conduct one in Southampton Uni, but I need to cover the difference in the fees (Overseas - UK/EU rates) by myself.
I could not find any opportunities for funding for me being Ukrainian and applying for a PhD in the UK.
The University of Southampton has no scholarships available, and so does Ukrainian government.
Popular international funding organisations (like Commonwealth and Newton Fund) do not have Ukraine in the list of countries they support.

Is here any Ukrainians who solved this puzzle?

I'm really desperate. Thanks for the help.

It's not really a matter of finding a scolarship once you get to PhD level. You really need to apply for fully-funded PhDs if funding is an issue. Getting the offer of a research project is usually much easier than winning a fully-funded project, even for UK applicants. Coming from outside the EU, in order to get a study visa you will need to prove that you already have enough money to support yourself for all three of your PhD years, before you start. The only realistic way of doing that for many overseas students, is by winning a fully-funded PhD.

A former Masters colleague had a few offers of PhD projects which came without funding, including at Oxford. He turned them all down as he couldn't afford to do them. You wouldn't be alone in having to turn down an offer for financial reasons.
Reply 8
Honestly I would advise you to look at universities outside of the UK... I'm not a UK citizen although luckily I have EU citizenship so I was facing lower fees, but even for me it was very difficult to find a funded place. Research councils will only give full scholarships to UK nationals and most university scholarships are the same. I wanted a stipend as well since I didn't want to have to work alongside the degree, imo everyone should aim for that as well. A PhD is hard work and (ideally) your university should pay you for that work.

But I have seen ads for PhD programmes in Germany, the Netherlands and Sweden and there international students seem to often get the same scholarships as locals. My partner is British so I couldn't leave the country but if I didn't have that holding me here I would have applied to places outside of the UK.
Reply 9
You will need to apply to a fully funded international PhD. It is too late for this year but if you spend the next year working as a research assistant or some other science related jobs if you can and then apply for 2017/2018 entry, you should be able to get accepted. The Wellcome Trust is your best option, as they provide international studentships. As far as I know there are Wellcome Trust programmes in neuroscience in Oxford, UCL,Cardiff and probably a few other places as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending