The Student Room Group

teacher said this was the average score on 9-1 GCSE maths...?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ePret
our school does this to be on the safe side; even if the paper is full of grade 9 questions, they have said that they still will not be giving away grade 9s to any students at all, even if they get full marks. Same with English.

Certainly for this year I can see the merit in that. The 9 grade boundary is considered the hardest to guess hence not guessing it obviously completely avoids that problem. I think they should say full marks is a 9 though lol because that much is obvious.
Original post by ePret
also it was 196 because in the three papers that we did, some questions had to be removed because we had not been taught that yet. We are doing another one soon which will be out of 200/220. The highest score was achieved by me (next highest was somewhere along 160, then a lot of students got along 150. ), yet i was not given a grade 9. However even so considering it is going to be out last mock they still are not going to give grade 9s to any students.

Wow, removing questions you haven't done? If my school did that I'd be on 100% every time (well no, because I make too many stupid mistakes, but it would be a lot closer). Personally though I think that's a mistake as if people never meet something they cannot do before the real exam it may throw them and they drop more marks in the end than if they were in now. Also, it gives those people who have done extra work at home chance to answer those questions and gain extra marks. People also need to get used to the timings, which would vary if questions are taken out if they have not been taught. We will certainly go into the exam with stuff we've never been formally taught (happens particularly as we have a foreign teacher who is now teaching the new KS3 so assumes we've covered a lot of stuff we haven't that is in there). I would still be hoping for a 9 even including this. The school shouldn't be taking out questions where people could gain marks, teaching the students to have a go and see if they can get a few marks rather than effectively saying to avoid any questions you don't immediately know what to do is a much better idea imo
Original post by rafakl
Hi, my teacher told me that Edexcel had been collecting sample marks across schools and that the average mark was 20 out of 80?!
I don't know if this is true or if she's just trying to build up our confidence
Have you guys been told something similar or think that this is true?

I got a grade 2, i was 2 marks off a 3. A maths tutor I have told me that teachers don't have the actual grade boundaries for the new exams yet, I don't know if that is true. If it is true that the average mark was 20 out of 80 then that is bad, I wouldn't be surprised if it is true. I think it is unfair that we have to be the guinea pigs for this exam considering we have spent 2 years learning the other syllabus.
Reply 22
Original post by lauramosa
I got a grade 2, i was 2 marks off a 3. A maths tutor I have told me that teachers don't have the actual grade boundaries for the new exams yet, I don't know if that is true. If it is true that the average mark was 20 out of 80 then that is bad, I wouldn't be surprised if it is true. I think it is unfair that we have to be the guinea pigs for this exam considering we have spent 2 years learning the other syllabus.

Totally agree with you, I don't like the idea of us being the "trial and improvement" year, I think its unfair as we don't even have grade boundaries to predict our own grades.
Original post by rafakl
Totally agree with you, I don't like the idea of us being the "trial and improvement" year, I think its unfair as we don't even have grade boundaries to predict our own grades.

No-one has EVER had grade boundaries before they've sat the exam. They are never set until afterwards.

Why did you send two years on the old syllabus? These changes have been known about for ages.
Reply 25
Original post by Muttley79
No-one has EVER had grade boundaries before they've sat the exam. They are never set until afterwards.

Yes I know that however other years and teachers would have been able to use last years grade boundaries to predict their own grades and what they may get
Our year has no indication AT ALL in what our grades are gonna be as they are now in number form and this is the first year that its happened
Original post by rafakl
Yes I know that however other years and teachers would have been able to use last years grade boundaries to predict their own grades and what they may get
Our year has no indication AT ALL in what our grades are gonna be as they are now in number form and this is the first year that its happened

Yes I agree. We do mock exams to see and estimate of how we will do on our actual exams. When there were normal grades I got a D on my maths mock. This year I got a 2 which is about a G or F.
Why did you send two years on the old syllabus? These changes have been known about for ages.

I don't know why I spent 2 years on the old syllabus. I was only told about the new changes in September. I think the new syllabus was only released this year to teach i'm not sure. Ask my teachers not me.
Original post by rafakl

Sorry that is wrong. We know that the proportion getting 7+ will be the similar to those getting a grade A or better last year. I've used that to give rough grades to my group.

Also those getting 4+ will be similar to those who got a grade C or better last year.
I don't know why I spent 2 years on the old syllabus. I was only told about the new changes in September. I think the new syllabus was only released this year to teach i'm not sure. Ask my teachers not me.

The syllabus has been taught since September 2015 and was around for a while before that. You should ask your school why they were teaching the wrong material and get parents to complain.
Original post by ePret
our school does this to be on the safe side; even if the paper is full of grade 9 questions, they have said that they still will not be giving away grade 9s to any students at all, even if they get full marks. Same with English.

That's utterly stupid given that a fixed proportion of candidates (roughly 3.5%) are guaranteed to be awarded grade 9.
Reply 31
Sorry that is wrong. We know that the proportion getting 7+ will be the similar to those getting a grade A or better last year. I've used that to give rough grades to my group.

Also those getting 4+ will be similar to those who got a grade C or better last year.

That's if the current students take old exams but for the Edexcel mocks for example, it's tricky to know what the boundaries are.
Original post by Mr M
That's utterly stupid given that a fixed proportion of candidates (roughly 3.5%) are guaranteed to be awarded grade 9.

It's not that stupid if you think through what the school's thinking is. They don't know if their students are in the top 3% and they don't want to put in expectations of getting a 9 as they don't know if this will happen in the summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The syllabus has been taught since September 2015 and was around for a while before that. You should ask your school why they were teaching the wrong material and get parents to complain.

Maybe I have been taught the syllabus and this year it just seems to be a lot more difficult. Even if we didn't learnt the new syllabus in 2015 i've finished it now and it's just revision from now till my exam. Complaining wouldn't turn back the time. If i fail i'll just resit until I finally pass.
Our average was also 20 out of the full marks in our school, i am in top set highest grade was 5 some got Us and majority of the year was 20 whereas other sets they didnt even make the twenty!
Original post by Misaki24
Our average was also 20 out of the full marks in our school, i am in top set highest grade was 5 some got Us and majority of the year was 20 whereas other sets they didnt even make the twenty!

Woah, that's really low. In my school I scored 238/240 (top set year 10) with second best being 230/240 (top set year 11). They're pretty easy if you revise.
Original post by thekidwhogames
Woah, that's really low. In my school I scored 238/240 (top set year 10) with second best being 230/240 (top set year 11). They're pretty easy if you revise.

I constantly revise and I even have a math tutor because I am not good at it. I would like to find it easy but sadly I don't. Not everyone is good at everything.
I constantly revise and I even have a math tutor because I am not good at it. I would like to find it easy but sadly I don't. Not everyone is good at everything.

I agree with this so much!
Reply 38
Original post by thekidwhogames

I don't think you were intending to sound rude but it came across that way. 238/240 is an extremely high mark that is unheard of in most schools. You may find the new GCSE maths really easy but 99% of students don't and you need to realise this.

The average student could revise every hour of every day and still not get close to 238/240.
Reply 39
tbh i do further maths(aqa level 2) and seeing the new maths and some of the specifications, some questions in the further maths paper seem easier than the new maths. That what I'm really surprised about.

Quick Reply

Latest