The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Bigcnee
Warwick is grossly overrated for Maths. Just because they mention Step in their offer, they are respected far more.

After ringing Warwick, I discovered that the Step part of their offer is pratically redundant. Warwick is very much undersubscribed for Maths.

They can't be that undersubscribed, as only Oxbridge and Imperial have a higher average A level entry score. I'd like to check the UCAS statistics for applicants per place, but I can't download the dataset from this computer. The Statistics department has a 6* rating for research, which isn't bad. Suppose that isn't strictly Maths though!
Reply 41
mg84
They can't be that undersubscribed, as only Oxbridge and Imperial have a highly average A level entry score. The Statistics department has a 6* rating for research, which isn't bad. Suppose that isn't strictly Maths though!

If they're undersubscribed then why was I waiting 3 months for a reply to my application? :rolleyes:
ecksor
If they're undersubscribed then why was I waiting 3 months for a reply to my application? :rolleyes:

They're not undersubscribed, someone is talking crap.
Reply 43
LittleMinx
They're not undersubscribed, someone is talking crap.

I'm telling you what a Warwick admissions tutor (rather frankly) told me.
Reply 44
Bigcnee
I'm telling you what a Warwick admissions tutor (rather frankly) told me.

Is this cos lots of people apply to them in the first round of UCAS apps but come confirmation time people choose other places?
Reply 45
shiny
Is this cos lots of people apply to them in the first round of UCAS apps but come confirmation time people choose other places?

Maybe. That's what I did.
Reply 46
Bigcnee
Maybe. That's what I did.

I remember at the open day the admissions tutor asked "so, how many people here are applying to oxford or cambridge?" and virtually everyone stuck their hand up! I guess that if a sizeable number of these people get offers and secure their places then Warwick might be in trouble if they end up as insurance choices for lots of candidates.
Reply 47
shiny
I remember at the open day the admissions tutor asked "so, how many people here are applying to oxford or cambridge?" and virtually everyone stuck their hand up! I guess that if a sizeable number of these people get offers and secure their places then Warwick might be in trouble if they end up as insurance choices for lots of candidates.

You'd think, but Bath had to increase its ask to AAA after too many acceptances last year.
Reply 48
Bigcnee
You'd think, but Bath had to increase its ask to AAA after too many acceptances last year.

But Bath has that "best uni for maths in the league tables" thing going for it :smile:
shiny
But Bath has that "best uni for maths in the league tables" thing going for it :smile:

as does warwick....
Reply 50
LittleMinx
as does warwick....

Where?
Bigcnee
Where?

In most league tables. sorry, i read your comment wrong - i dont necessarily mean it's number 1 in the league tables, but warwick is pretty high up there with bath.
Reply 52
what about LSE? isn't that good for maths???
Bigcnee

Bath are really picky with their selections - my two mates got rejected even though they were likely to make the entry grades (AAB)
jinsisi
Personally, I think Cambridge is the best university for mathematics in UK.
What's your opinion? I mean undergraduate. :wink:

Cambridge STEP Papers required

S, 1, 2, 3 and U grades with common offers being AAB and STEP 1, 2 although it is quite common for some to get asked for 1,1.

Oxford, Warwick, Imperial, Durham, Nottingham are all just as good.
China is the best place to do maths
Reply 56
superkillball
China is the best place to do maths

Yes, but the "maths" in the UK is only a subject of social science including quite many applied topics while that in China is rather pure. It cannot be simply compared here, as it may depend on the preferences of students, to have a more thorough study in Maths or to regard it as a stepping stone in the job market.
Reply 57
What about LSE???? No one replied to me... :frown:
Reply 58
MRLX69
What about LSE???? No one replied to me... :frown:

Mathematics and Economics is a very decent course.
Reply 59
Bath was top maths uni last year according to the times and the guardian.

Latest