The Student Room Group

Edexcel English Literature 9TE0 - 15, 22 & 29 Jun 2017 [Exam Discussions]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by memoriial
P

User said they already knew it was Inheritance, and I'm pretty sure they were right... but I did out of the bag so I only remember that question

Well I'm pretty sure I'm right because I did the deliverer last year, lol.
Original post by electrahearts

are youi doing rossetti by any chance?
bricking it for this exam...its my final one....can anyone give me some last minute tips for the anthology and Wife of Bath?
Original post by Remaine
Hello guys, just a query regarding the Wife of Bath - have you been taught any critics? Is it mandatory that you use critics to help your analysis?

^^
can some one help me with how to do AO4 in poetry? im doing poems of the decade
Original post by electrahearts

Me too.
Original post by amy4121
Remember, for post-2000 specificent poetry vs unseen poems (poems of the decade for many of us) AO1, AO2 AND AO4 are assessed. Therefore comparisons (AO4) are vital otherwise you will lose substantial amounts of marks.

Poetry exam (60 marks)

Section A: AO1, AO2, AO4 (comparison is vital) - 30 marks
Section B: AO1, AO2, AO3 (context is vital) - 30 marks

So how many is each AOs worth ? Is AO4 worth more than the rest in contemporary ?
Original post by auburnstar
14986348730731766215253.jpg

It's only letting me do them one by one -.-

Thanks for this !
@Remaine Critics/critical interpretations are AO5 and not part of AO1, AO2 or AO3 so they will not count and imo are not worth losing potential words mentioning. You could, however, use sentences such as 'It could be argued that the Wife is a "proto-feminist" as ...' or 'this stanza in particular highlights [x]' which would fall under the broad 'evaluation' category.

Last minute tips for Wife of Bath @Adamski2409
1. Look at the theme and extract they have given you and choose another that fits. In reality, it does not matter what you choose as long as you can make it fit the theme (so does not have to be from Tale and Prologue or contrasting).
2. That being said, avoid choosing two passages very close together if you can help it (it's a bit of a cop-out and doesn't allow you to show detailed textual awareness from all parts of the poem)
3. Use AO1, AO2 and AO3
4. AO1 - have a clear argument, use topic sentences eg In these stanzas, Chaucer criticises the anti-feminist doctrine of the male clerks through his presentation of Alison. use keywords eg 'eponymous protagonist' - language that sounds good and makes sense. AO2 - textual analysis. Refer to it as a poem and Chaucer as a poet. Identify poetic devices eg anaphora, similes, narrative voices and examine their effects. AO3 - context to illuminate ideas eg At the time, women tended to be portrayed as either temptress Eve or Virgin Mary archetypal (ao1) figures in poetic literature.
5. Come to a conclusion. I suggest writing intros last but that is just a personal method.

Poetry Anthology:
1. Read the unseen and the Anthology poems closely and get a feel for what they are about in general relating it to the theme eg if it is about violence, what kind of violence?
2. Have an overall argument with intro and conclusion and support it with AO2 literary analysis. Identify poetic techniques eg metaphors, rhyme or rhythm, structure etc and examine their effect in relation to the theme. eg In [poem], [poet] uses [feature] which emphasises the [idea related to theme]. In contrast/Similarly, [poet 2] uses [same or different feature] to...
3. Compare and contrast between the two poems using words such as similarly, like, in contrast.
4. Think FLIRT: Form, Language, Imagery, Rhyme/Rhythm, Tone. Don't neglect FRT for language and imagery which may be more obvious. Tone can be a good indicator of a sense of closure or change in the theme, which would be a nice way to finish an essay.
Original post by Nikapro
So how many is each AOs worth ? Is AO4 worth more than the rest in contemporary ?

All worth the same, but if you don't compare I doubt you would get past band 3 18/30
Original post by Nikapro
Thanks for this !

No problem! :smile:
Original post by auburnstar
@Remaine Critics/critical interpretations are AO5 and not part of AO1, AO2 or AO3 so they will not count and imo are not worth losing potential words mentioning. You could, however, use sentences such as 'It could be argued that the Wife is a "proto-feminist" as ...' or 'this stanza in particular highlights [x]' which would fall under the broad 'evaluation' category.

Last minute tips for Wife of Bath @Adamski2409
1. Look at the theme and extract they have given you and choose another that fits. In reality, it does not matter what you choose as long as you can make it fit the theme (so does not have to be from Tale and Prologue or contrasting).
2. That being said, avoid choosing two passages very close together if you can help it (it's a bit of a cop-out and doesn't allow you to show detailed textual awareness from all parts of the poem)
3. Use AO1, AO2 and AO3
4. AO1 - have a clear argument, use topic sentences eg In these stanzas, Chaucer criticises the anti-feminist doctrine of the male clerks through his presentation of Alison. use keywords eg 'eponymous protagonist' - language that sounds good and makes sense. AO2 - textual analysis. Refer to it as a poem and Chaucer as a poet. Identify poetic devices eg anaphora, similes, narrative voices and examine their effects. AO3 - context to illuminate ideas eg At the time, women tended to be portrayed as either temptress Eve or Virgin Mary archetypal (ao1) figures in poetic literature.
5. Come to a conclusion. I suggest writing intros last but that is just a personal method.

Poetry Anthology:
1. Read the unseen and the Anthology poems closely and get a feel for what they are about in general relating it to the theme eg if it is about violence, what kind of violence?
2. Have an overall argument with intro and conclusion and support it with AO2 literary analysis. Identify poetic techniques eg metaphors, rhyme or rhythm, structure etc and examine their effect in relation to the theme. eg In [poem], [poet] uses [feature] which emphasises the [idea related to theme]. In contrast/Similarly, [poet 2] uses [same or different feature] to...
3. Compare and contrast between the two poems using words such as similarly, like, in contrast.
4. Think FLIRT: Form, Language, Imagery, Rhyme/Rhythm, Tone. Don't neglect FRT for language and imagery which may be more obvious. Tone can be a good indicator of a sense of closure or change in the theme, which would be a nice way to finish an essay.

I love you thanks so much ahaha, my exam is tomorrow and I am hella ill rn :frown:
Original post by marsrover
can some one help me with how to do AO4 in poetry? im doing poems of the decade

A tip my english teacher recommended to me is: don't worry about the Ao4 being integrated into paragraphs; it's not specified in the mark scheme like the prose exam, so technically you can do one poem and then the other.
Does anyone know what sort of themes they could ask us for Rossetti ?
Original post by lascelles101
are youi doing rossetti by any chance?

nope, chaucer :yep:
Original post by Nikapro
Does anyone know what sort of themes they could ask us for Rossetti ?

Death
Loss of love
Faith
Hope

Just to name a few
Anyone feel they have any useful context for the Wife of Bath? Apart from the obvious position of women argument
Last one guys, good luck with it and then have a fab summer! :dumbells:
Original post by Harley's_Queen
Death
Loss of love
Faith
Hope

Just to name a few

Thanks ! Good luck for tomorrow 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending