The Student Room Group

Edexcel English Literature 9TE0 - 15, 22 & 29 Jun 2017 [Exam Discussions]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
I know that it is impossible to be certain, but does anyone have an idea or guess as to what the grade boundaries could be?

I got around 56/60 on my coursework and feel like I did O.K. on Drama and Poetry, but absolutely fluffed Prose, unfortunately. I just really cba with stressing about this the whole summer ugh.
Original post by AliF98
I know that it is impossible to be certain, but does anyone have an idea or guess as to what the grade boundaries could be?

I got around 56/60 on my coursework and feel like I did O.K. on Drama and Poetry, but absolutely fluffed Prose, unfortunately. I just really cba with stressing about this the whole summer ugh.

New spec grades tend to be low. Last year for AS was 77/120 UMS for an A. As no one has done an unseen with an Anthology before (always been pure unseen or two compared Anthology poems as per last year), seems likely some people will have done average in that paper.

But unlike maths where you can roughly tell, English is (for better or for worse) entirely subjective. I know what anxiety is like - maybe you could put some focus on reading some (good) English books, to remind you what nice literature is like? :tongue:
How did people do? Nationally the reformed A-levels have seen a drop in A*- A so I wonder if that's reflected here or not.
Original post by AliF98

Can you believe that 58/60 was an A* for coursework! Unbelievable
We did it guys we've now left A2 Edexcel English Literature behind :cool:

Original post by hyelloh
How did people do? Nationally the reformed A-levels have seen a drop in A*- A so I wonder if that's reflected here or not.

I got an A* (245/300) after getting a high B at AS last year. I wasn't too surprised by the fall in A*-A grades but 77% raw for an A* was pretty low - I attribute that to a lack of useful past papers and some left-field questions for certain texts.

That being said I'm a bit of an outlier as are most people on TSR who study harder than the average student - confirmation bias, people who study harder are more likely to use a student-oriented website. :smile:

How did you do btw if you sat these papers?
Original post by auburnstar
We did it guys we've now left A2 Edexcel English Literature behind :cool:

I got an A* (245/300) after getting a high B at AS last year. I wasn't too surprised by the fall in A*-A grades but 77% raw for an A* was pretty low - I attribute that to a lack of useful past papers and some left-field questions for certain texts.

That being said I'm a bit of an outlier as are most people on TSR who study harder than the average student - confirmation bias, people who study harder are more likely to use a student-oriented website. :smile:

How did you do btw if you sat these papers?

Scrolled through this thread and saw a lot of Wife of Bath stuff which I have zero idea about! I did Hamlet and The Importance of Being Earnest for Drama, Heart of Darkness and A Passage to India for Prose, Modernism and Post-2000 prescribed list for Poetry. Somehow managed an A* but my results sheet doesn't tell me anything about UMS/raw marks in each paper.

Interesting fact: Last year I got a D for AS which got remarked to a B. I like to say I moved from a D to an A* but that is indeed a lie.
Original post by hyelloh
Scrolled through this thread and saw a lot of Wife of Bath stuff which I have zero idea about! I did Hamlet and The Importance of Being Earnest for Drama, Heart of Darkness and A Passage to India for Prose, Modernism and Post-2000 prescribed list for Poetry. Somehow managed an A* but my results sheet doesn't tell me anything about UMS/raw marks in each paper.

Interesting fact: Last year I got a D for AS which got remarked to a B. I like to say I moved from a D to an A* but that is indeed a lie.

Same here, my results sheet didn't have UMS marks, just the grade. I phoned up the head of my school and he told me what the raw marks were so I assume your head/exam coordinator will know your raw marks (unless he was just telling me a random number lol).

I did Wife of Bath actually! xD Gave a bit of an out-there interpretation of the Wife's take on marriage but I guessed they liked it. I didn't do any of your texts, asides from post-2000 poetry (glad to have that done tbh, history was about the only good poem....).

Congrats on your result! English boss level.
Congrats to you too! History was alright but Look we are Coming to Dover was gold.
Original post by hyelloh
Congrats to you too! History was alright but Look we are Coming to Dover was gold.

It's a pity that... neither of them came up in the exam xD To be fair the love for newborn/dying relative question was pretty straightforward. The whole way leading up to that exam I was worried that I wasn't going to be able to craft an actual argument and just end up with a mass of features (which was what had been happening in practice). I did make an argument in the exam, it was pretty basic though. xP
Original post by auburnstar
It's a pity that... neither of them came up in the exam xD To be fair the love for newborn/dying relative question was pretty straightforward. The whole way leading up to that exam I was worried that I wasn't going to be able to craft an actual argument and just end up with a mass of features (which was what had been happening in practice). I did make an argument in the exam, it was pretty basic though. xP

I thought the life and death question was silly because it made it way harder to compare! Parental relationships seemed a lot easier
Original post by hyelloh
I thought the life and death question was silly because it made it way harder to compare! Parental relationships seemed a lot easier

I don't remember the poetry question 100% but I do remember arguing something entirely cliche - that in both poems there is a sense of love towards the dying mother and newborn baby, albeit presented differently. That being said, the Othello love question was pure gold. xD
Original post by hyelloh

I got an A -- I don't know any of my marks, though, and I'm going to call my college tomorrow and ask for them. :redface: Still chuffed to have an A after the chaos that has been this year, though!
Original post by Jinkx Monsoon
I got an A -- I don't know any of my marks, though, and I'm going to call my college tomorrow and ask for them. :redface: Still chuffed to have an A after the chaos that has been this year, though!

Amazing! Eng Lit has been one of the most time-consuming subjects, that being said I actually didn't mind constantly editing my coursework because the topic/books were so interesting. Did you see it said 58/60 was an A*, that's way too high. It did say that the grade boundaries were notional but even then...
Original post by hyelloh
Amazing! Eng Lit has been one of the most time-consuming subjects, that being said I actually didn't mind constantly editing my coursework because the topic/books were so interesting. Did you see it said 58/60 was an A*, that's way too high. It did say that the grade boundaries were notional but even then...

Where did you find out that information and that's ridiculous. I ended up with a C so fairly disappointing, my class didn't do well averaging a C/B one or two got a D.
Original post by DaringDaniel
Where did you find out that information and that's ridiculous. I ended up with a C so fairly disappointing, my class didn't do well averaging a C/B one or two got a D.

https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/English%20Language/2015/forms-and-administration/a-as-guidance-scaling.pdf

Read the last example
Can anyone please help me find the grade boundaries for the the different components of the English Literature Edexcel 2017 A level: the exams 9ET0 / 01 (raw mark out of 60), 9ET0 / 02 (raw mark out of 40), 9ET0 / 03 (raw mark out of 60)and the coursework 9ET0 / 04 (raw mark out of 60). I can't find this anywhere, and need it urgently to decide on whether or not to remark
Reply 416
For some reason I cannot access the individual component boundaries on the Edexcel website (I was able to before), but I do remember the A* boundaries on each component being something like 40/60 on Drama, 32/40 on Prose, 41/60 on Poetry, and 58/60 on the coursework unit... Hope that helps a little?

The marks on each paper I think were quite close together.
Thanks for your reply! :smile: I'm asking on behalf of a friend who got a B, but it helps for context! Hopefully the excel website will start working properly soon - I've been having the same problem!
just about to do a mock on king lear and we're using the questions from last year. can anyone remember what they were??
Original post by lucyxxward
just about to do a mock on king lear and we're using the questions from last year. can anyone remember what they were??

In the exam it was one on madness and one on Edmund

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending