The Student Room Group

Barts and the London A100 offer holders 2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by medicalstudent1
My friend was at floyer (I stayed overnight for some periods after nights out) he complained and fell out with the residential staff lol, we felt it was an utter shithole in 2015/16.... moldy carpet, noisy radiators, loud doors, condensation and poor cleaning service of communal areas. Having said that we both were brought up in an affluent neighbourhoods in the home counties.

Its like a 1980s prison cell, and also whitechapel's ethnic gangs always seemed to congregate outside on thursday nights and played music on their phones.

I hear from the current first years that nothing has changed.

Dawson is better I feel, and you get a cheap central london life experience. You will soon crave central london or the city (lpool street/aldgate/bank) as the "vibrance" of whitechapel/mile end wears off once the smell of fried chicken and fish market lingers on your clothes.

Oh gosh that's quite negative
Original post by ep1999
Oh gosh that's quite negative

i emphasise that the teaching is top notch though (apart from anatomy). If you like curry/kebabs everyday then you will be at home (I didn't).

some more bad points also....
barts is the only university that has professionalism points.
you always have a total of 3 exams every 8 weeks that need to be passed (50%) and loads of pointless PBL writeups which are utterly pointless.
I also thought the rest of QMUL let it Barts reputation down a bit i.e. "I study medicine at QMUL" doesn't have the same effect as "I study medicine at Barts".
the dicks at accommodation didn't even let you see the accommodation at floyer/dawson on the open day; so it is a blind choice (trust me the images on the website are not represenative of floyer, its much worse).

Also a trick I fell for is that the open day may be at Smithfield Campus and not Whitechapel, so Barts will look amazing to you (in central london etc.) But in reality you only spend a total of 18hrs in Smithfield Campus for the whole of first and second years; you may spend a bit longer in third through fifth if you do placements/research; but I stress that grimey whitechapel will be your main home, so go and have a look it at fully (surrounding areas).

Just my opinion but, I should have chose elsewhere in London to study med.
Reply 82
i emphasise that the teaching is top notch though (apart from anatomy). If you like curry/kebabs everyday then you will be at home (I didn't).

you always have a total of 3 exams every 8 weeks that need to be passed (50%) and loads of pointless PBL writeups which are utterly pointless.
I also thought the rest of QMUL let it Barts reputation down a bit i.e. "I study medicine at QMUL" doesn't have the same effect as "I study medicine at Barts".
the dicks at accommodation didn't even let you see the accommodation at floyer/dawson on the open day; so it is a blind choice (trust me the images on the website are not represenative of floyer, its much worse).

Also a trick I fell for is that the open day may be at Smithfield Campus and not Whitechapel, so Barts will look amazing to you (in central london etc.) But in reality you only spend a total of 18hrs in Smithfield Campus for the whole of first and second years; you may spend a bit longer in third through fifth if you do placements/research; but I stress that grimey whitechapel will be your main home, so go and have a look it at fully (surrounding areas).

Is anatomy not taught well? Why so?
Anyone able to give me any info on how much PBL there is on the parts course? I am looking for only a little PBL with mainly lectures and seminars etc. I am trying to make decisions on firms and insurance choices etc. It's quite hard to decide so any info would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks,
Elliott.
Original post by Elliottmanwaring
Anyone able to give me any info on how much PBL there is on the parts course? I am looking for only a little PBL with mainly lectures and seminars etc. I am trying to make decisions on firms and insurance choices etc. It's quite hard to decide so any info would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks,
Elliott.

each module usually has 2 PBLs a week (each take 1hr brainstorming and 1hr feedback), and you get tested on PBLs in the ICA via SAQs, thus sometimes you have to learn up to 16 PBLs per ICA....

Any good points about Barts? Jesus
Reply 86
Original post by FKAsamuel
Any good points about Barts? Jesus

Remember that's just one students opinion!:smile:
also histology sessions are crap
Reply 88
also histology sessions are crap

Could you elaborate further on that? And about anatomy, too?
Original post by ep1999
Remember that's just one students opinion!:smile:

I know i know, I was being sarcastic towards the extreme negativity from the person. This is a page for those considering barts and although I understand he/she is trying to give people the negatives as well as the positives it's painting a bad picture of what appears to be a brilliant medical school. I know I'm going to firm it:smile:
Reply 90
I know i know, I was being sarcastic towards the extreme negativity from the person. This is a page for those considering barts and although I understand he/she is trying to give people the negatives as well as the positives it's painting a bad picture of what appears to be a brilliant medical school. I know I'm going to firm it:smile:

I think I'm going to firm it too! Yeah, it's always good to receive a balanced lot of views haha:wink:
ok but don't choose floyer, and you're gonna find it a new experience if your are not asian/east european

another of word of advice is to becareful of the spit on the pavements and fried chicken boxes which for some reason there is a lot of
Reply 92
ok but don't choose floyer, and you're gonna find it a new experience if your are not asian/east european

another of word of advice is to becareful of the spit on the pavements and fried chicken boxes which for some reason there is a lot of

That's a little bit racist:') thank you for your advice, but I'm not sure I'll be taking any of it on board.
Hopefully someone in here can help me out. I'm confused as to what the style of teaching is mainly based around in Barts. Is it integrated? I heard there was a large weighting on PBL
Who's going to the open day on the 6th?
Hopefully someone in here can help me out. I'm confused as to what the style of teaching is mainly based around in Barts. Is it integrated? I heard there was a large weighting on PBL

It is integrated, with about 3 hours of PBL a week, from what I know of, but again maybe best to check with a current student.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 96
Hiya! Congratulations to everyone! Just had a question about accomodation, are first years guaranteed accomodation? Are we only allowed to apply to Floyer or Dawson? I'm only asking because I'd quite like to have an en suite
Original post by XmayaX
Hiya! Congratulations to everyone! Just had a question about accomodation, are first years guaranteed accomodation? Are we only allowed to apply to Floyer or Dawson? I'm only asking because I'd quite like to have an en suite

Hi! I think 1st years are pretty much guaranteed accommodation, provided that you don't already live in London. Yeah we're only allowed to apply to Floyer and Dawson I think unless you apply to intercollegiate halls (idk if you can do that, just heard about it) so I'm afraid an ensuite is pretty much out of the picture!
When does the occupational Health form and dbs check get sent out after you have firmed Barts?
Reply 99
Original post by RealLifeEducator
When does the occupational Health form and dbs check get sent out after you have firmed Barts?

I got emailed a link for the occupational health forms the day after I firmed. The DBS forms are going be sent out/emailed in the next few weeks if I remember correctly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending