The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Mark_KK

Also why is it ok for one black person to call another nigger yet if a white person used this terminology there would be all sorts of problems?

It's to do with reclaiming words and taking the power away from them. It's quite common for words to be used within a group, equal to equal and be acceptable within that group but not acceptable outside it.

I sometimes refer to myself as 'a crip' but I would be offended if someone else used it about me. Why? Becaues 'crip' is only ever used as an insult when it is used by an able bodied person.

By the same token I and one of my female friends refer to each other as 'bitch', within our conversation it isn't insulting. Anyone else using this word about one of us could only use it as an insult.
calumc
It's okay for minorites to insult everyone else, but not the other way around. They call it "equality".

Haha, calumc you're a hero!
Reply 22
Mad Caddie
Historically the terms, "Negro" and "Nigger" have been used to sub-class black people by their white counterparts. Thus if a white person uses the term, it is perceived as a racist comment.

like in that film with Jackie Chang, can't remember the name of it, but he goes into a bar and says "whats up my nigger" and ends up in a massive fight, but the guy before him was black, can't remember his name, funny guy, and he says it and its ok.
Reply 23
calumc
It's okay for minorites to insult everyone else, but not the other way around. They call it "equality".

How exactly do minorities insult others? Thats a stupid, flawed assumption.
Reply 24
Vladek
like in that film with Jackie Chang, can't remember the name of it, but he goes into a bar and says "whats up my nigger" and ends up in a massive fight, but the guy before him was black, can't remember his name, funny guy, and he says it and its ok.

Exactly. :cool:
Reply 25
One of my asian friends once said that he and his family call each other Paki all the time as a bit of fun, and they're not offended. But if somebody was to come up to him in the street and start shouting that, he'd be offended.

Why? Cause the intention is different. Among is his friends, its a bit of fun, if some racist comes up to him in the street, it's mean to intimidate and offend. So, there's a big difference between the two. :smile:
Reply 26
Mad Caddie
How exactly do minorities insult others? Thats a stupid, flawed assumption.

What do you mean "how"? They insult others the same way as anyone else, but for some reason it is seen as more acceptable in that direction. For example, referring back to the comment that started this thread - "You should think twice before you open your stupid white mouth". This is clearly using "white" as a derogatory term, but appears to be seen as quite acceptable, while had it been said about blacks/asians there'd be a barrage of complaints. "Stupid, flawed assumption" my foot!

We live in a "wimp culture" - who ever is seen as the smaller or weaker group by the PC brigade can say whatever they want about the rest of us, yet complain/sue if we do the same. Hence women can insult men, but if men do the same it's "sex discrimination/harassment", blacks can insult whites, but if whites do it it's racism, religious extremists (eg. that man with the hook, I forget his name) can preach hatred or even condone killing of others, but if a christian minister did it there'd be uproar... and so on. It really is VERY childish.
Reply 27
LifeWired
This should be moved to the Debate forum before it explodes out of hand...

don't mix metaphores :confused:
Sarky

Like other people have said, people turning racist insults on its head and using it as terms to address each other has been going on for ages. Although i doubt caucasian people will start calling each other "honkys" anytime soon.

My mates call me honky :biggrin:
Reply 29
calumc
(eg. that man with the hook, I forget his name) can preach hatred or even condone killing of others, but if a christian minister did it there'd be uproar... and so on.

Riiiiight. That "man with the hook" (Abu Hamza, btw). He wasn't exactly seen as being accpetable. He was potrayed in a not very nice light by most of the media, and oh yeah, he was stripped of his British citizenship! :rolleyes:
Reply 30
To be honest i couldn't care less if someone called me an English Bastard, or a gringo, etc etc, so maybe thats why its exceptable, most white brit's couldn't give two hoots what people call them.
Reply 31
Frances
Riiiiight. That "man with the hook" (Abu Hamza, btw). He wasn't exactly seen as being accpetable. He was potrayed in a not very nice light by most of the media, and oh yeah, he was stripped of his British citizenship! :rolleyes:

Yes, eventually. I can guarantee you that if I stood in the middle of the street in the nearest city and started yelling about killing Muslims I would be arrested and/or stabbed within the hour.
Reply 32
Vladek
To be honest i couldn't care less if someone called me an English Bastard, or a gringo, etc etc, so maybe thats why its exceptable, most white brit's couldn't give two hoots what people call them.

Neither could I, but it annoys me that if I did the same it could have way out-of-proportion consequences.
Reply 33
calumc
Yes, eventually. I can guarantee you that if I stood in the middle of the street in the nearest city and started yelling about killing Muslims I would be arrested and/or stabbed within the hour.

If you say so. :rolleyes:
Reply 34
Frances
If you say so. :rolleyes:

So you're saying if you saw someone standing in the street yelling about killing muslims you'd think nothing of it? YEAH RIGHT! :rolleyes:
Reply 35
calumc
So you're saying if you saw someone standing in the street yelling about killing muslims you'd think nothing of it? YEAH RIGHT! :rolleyes:

I didn't say that, and I can't really see how you thought I did :rolleyes:

Of course I'd think something of it, that's hardly the same as you being "arrested and/or stabbed within the hour"
Reply 36
Frances
I didn't say that, and I can't really see how you thought I did :rolleyes:

Of course I'd think something of it, that's hardly the same as you being "arrested and/or stabbed within the hour"

"If you say so" suggests you thought nothing of it, to the extent of not even caring to come up with a proper direct response, as does your ridiculous overuse of that little blue face.

Be realistic. If you stood in the middle of a busy street proclaiming your hatred of Muslims and encouraging people to kill them, or if a Christian church did the same, there would be uproar. Nobody would have done anything about Abu Hamza had he it not been for his suspected links to terrorism, and given his endorsement of Sept 11 and encouragement to kill "enemies of Islam" these are unsurprising.
Reply 37
calumc
"If you say so" suggests you thought nothing of it, to the extent of not even caring to come up with a proper direct response, as does your ridiculous overuse of that little blue face.

Be realistic. If you stood in the middle of a busy street proclaiming your hatred of Muslims and encouraging people to kill them, or if a Christian church did the same, there would be uproar. Nobody would have done anything about Abu Hamza had he it not been for his suspected links to terrorism, and given his endorsement of Sept 11 and encouragement to kill "enemies of Islam" these are unsurprising.

Don't tell me what I mean! If you says so suggests that I disgree with what you're saying, I thought that'd be obvious.

I'd love to argue, but frankly I'm too busy stressing about results. Maybe another time.
Reply 38
Frances
Don't tell me what I mean! If you says so suggests that I disgree with what you're saying, I thought that'd be obvious.

I'd love to argue, but frankly I'm too busy stressing about results. Maybe another time.

Okay, I got mine a week ago!

But surely you must agree that it's for some reason seen as more acceptable when a minority does something against the majority.
calumc
What do you mean "how"? They insult others the same way as anyone else, but for some reason it is seen as more acceptable in that direction. For example, referring back to the comment that started this thread - "You should think twice before you open your stupid white mouth". This is clearly using "white" as a derogatory term, but appears to be seen as quite acceptable, while had it been said about blacks/asians there'd be a barrage of complaints. "Stupid, flawed assumption" my foot!

We live in a "wimp culture" - who ever is seen as the smaller or weaker group by the PC brigade can say whatever they want about the rest of us, yet complain/sue if we do the same. Hence women can insult men, but if men do the same it's "sex discrimination/harassment", blacks can insult whites, but if whites do it it's racism, religious extremists (eg. that man with the hook, I forget his name) can preach hatred or even condone killing of others, but if a christian minister did it there'd be uproar... and so on. It really is VERY childish.

Just thought I'd register my total agreement with the above. The whole thing pisses me off immensely.

Latest

Trending

Trending