The Student Room Group

British Muslim protest Westminster attack "Not in our name"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dodgypirate
Who are they to tell us who is a true Muslim and who isn't, what authority do they have?

ISIS fighters do most the stuff ordinary Muslims do, besides killing people, obviously.

If a Christian sect were roaming around murdering innocents indiscriminately, I'd still consider them Christians.

****ing absurd.

Absolute crap. At one point the Islamophobes were saying Muslims should do more and now they do they still keep on crying. To be honest no one can win with the Islamaphobes if not one thing, they'll look for something else.
Original post by l'etranger

In general I have positive views of Muslims, but if you don't think that Christians, particularly Protestants (including non-religious cultural Protestants) have a commitment to social reform including the creation of a mentality of intolerance towards perceived sources of social ills, you must be completely delusional.

Excuse me? Where the **** is the relevance of that to my post?

Stop wasting my time.
Reply 62
Original post by redleader1
Absolute crap. At one point the Islamophobes were saying Muslims should do more and now they do they still keep on crying. To be honest no one can win with the Islamaphobes if not one thing, they'll look for something else.
Until Muslims in general accept that Islam is a major factor in such attacks, and agree that the ambiguous rhetoric of some violent passages is directly used as justification, then yes, they need to do more.

Because as they say in AA, the first step in solving a problem is accepting that you have a problem.
Original post by Twinpeaks
Excuse me? Where the **** is the relevance of that to my post?

Stop wasting my time.

It would seem I over estimated your intelligence; I guess I'm going to have to spoon-feed you like a little baby.

Christian communities both active practicising Christians as well as cultural Christians have aggressively protested the KKK and have taken huge steps to create a culture wherein racism cannot thrive. If you'd like I could give you a brief history lesson on the first anti-slavery activists who were Protestant subscribers to the Christian Social Gospel.

The point you were making was demonstrably false.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by nutz99
Seems to me that the basic problem is the Quran. A book that was written in times when the world was completely different, a book that is contradictory and open to many different interpretations. Each Muslim takes what they want from the Quran to satisfy their own ideals and ignores the rest. It simply doesn't work. Change is needed for Islam to be accepted by the rest of the world. To do nothing but simply say that ISIS and other terrorists are nothing to do with Islam is not an option any more.

What do you think should be done about GTA inspired violence?
Original post by QE2
Until Muslims in general accept that Islam is a major factor in such attacks, and agree that the ambiguous rhetoric of some violent passages is directly used as justification, then yes, they need to do more.

Because as they say in AA, the first step in solving a problem is accepting that you have a problem.

To be honest studies show relgion does not actually play a major part in terrorism its nationalism not religion. (Pape 2005)

But there are problems everywhere all over the world and no one really seems bothered to do much.
Reply 66
Original post by yeled ez
What do you think should be done about GTA inspired violence?
I love when someone has no answer to a question that they simply deflect it with another question.
Original post by nutz99
I love when someone has no answer to a question that they simply deflect it with another question.

You didn't ask a question, I did, you now seem to be avoiding it with deflection.
Original post by QE2
So, when these Muslims make a public statement against Islamist violence, your reaction is to condemn them as "not true Muslims".

I'm sure the irony isn't lost on people.

One can only take ownership of what they are responsible for - we as Muslims will not take ownership of acts of terror, but equally we should not take ownship of good things we did not do. Therefore, as Ahmadiyyah are not from the Muslim community, we cannot take ownership for the good that they do.

What's actually funny is that if we did take ownership of their protest, then you would say 'these Muslims are claiming they protested when they don't even consider these protesters as Muslim'.

Can't win either way with you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by LazyBazooka
You're right. If Islam is so "peaceful" and the Muslim community so "good" then they need to snap out of their silence and take action against the barbarism they condemn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcwA4RwCV80

Original post by frostyy
Muslims don't have to take the responsibility for actions of others just because they follow the same religion. It's like classifying someone's identity race-wise, just in this example, it's done dependant on what God someone follows.

Original post by mariachi
well, classifying by religion is not similar to classifying by race : race is an objective criterion, which cannot be modified, while religious allegiance can

while I agree that Muslims diverge hugely in their way of life and even in their beliefs, they do share some rituals, a religious vocabulary, some holy texts and some final aims and objectives

they diverge hugely on ways and means to attain those objectives : however, they do have something in common.

And, even if most Muslims do not share in any responsibility for these attacks, Islam -by its rhetoric and its stated objectives - is not entirely innocent

best

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I'd also like to add that the fascist who killed Jo Cox was a patriot. He did what he did because he loves his country and wanted to defend it. You can be a patriot and do awful inhuman things.

Original post by Dodgypirate
Who are they to tell us who is a true Muslim and who isn't, what authority do they have?

ISIS fighters do most the stuff ordinary Muslims do, besides killing people, obviously.

If a Christian sect were roaming around murdering innocents indiscriminately, I'd still consider them Christians.

****ing absurd.

Governments since Tony Blair's time made a mistake letting loads of people into UK who neither had a skill or trade. They've since realized that and have now decided to limit immigration from EU and the blacklisted countries but embrace the commonwealth countries whose citizens speak English as their first language, respect the common law and believe in democracy. However I think it's a little too late for this manoeuvre. UK will need about 150 years or so to mitigate the mess that the previous governments have left behind. No one from the current government is going to step forward and assure the country that nothing of this nature will happen again.

It's pretty similar to the gun crime situation in america. Each time there's a shooting at a school or cinema etc, Obama comes out to condemn the act and sometimes cries on national tv. After a few days everything is back to normal and a few days later the shootings resume.

There is a very big problem in the UK and this forum doesn't allow us to discuss the issue freely. I suggest you drop the matter. The whole world except this forum knows what the problem facing UK is. Let it be.
Reply 70
Original post by AishaGirl
We don't want your damn credit.

You maybe not, those who protest do. Otherwise there would be no point in a 'protest'.

Original post by AishaGirl
You cannot punish someone in advance for a crime they may or may not commit...

Yes you can, it's called criminal conspiracy and attempt.
Original post by _Fergo
Yes you can, it's called criminal conspiracy and attempt.

I meant you cannot lock up a person for having extreme views about a subject because you "think" they might go commit terrorism. It's a bit different if they are inciting hatred on the street or online and driving people to violence though.
Original post by Audrey18
Governments since Tony Blair's time made a mistake letting loads of people into UK who neither had a skill or trade. They've since realized that and have now decided to limit immigration from EU and the blacklisted countries but embrace the commonwealth countries whose citizens speak English as their first language, respect the common law and believe in democracy. However I think it's a little too late for this manoeuvre. UK will need about 150 years or so to mitigate the mess that the previous governments have left behind. No one from the current government is going to step forward and assure the country that nothing of this nature will happen again.

It's pretty similar to the gun crime situation in america. Each time there's a shooting at a school or cinema etc, Obama comes out to condemn the act and sometimes cries on national tv. After a few days everything is back to normal and a few days later the shootings resume.

There is a very big problem in the UK and this forum doesn't allow us to discuss the issue freely. I suggest you drop the matter. The whole world except this forum knows what the problem facing UK is. Let it be.

The criminal was born in the UK

I wonder how many angry right wingers demand the police do more to stop such events were furious at Tony Blair's ID card scheme?
Reply 73
You didn't ask a question, I did, you now seem to be avoiding it with deflection.
The whole thread is a question which you have sidetracked by bringing up something which has no relevance and no place in this thread. If you can contribute to this thread then do it. If you can't then sod off.
Original post by AlexanderHam
You may have clicked expecting to see such a protest, but I'm writing this post to draw attention to the lack of one.

If there was an LGBT atheist left-wing terrorist group, you can be damn sure I would be protesting against them and saying "Not in our name". Unfortunately demonstrations where "extremists" scream pro-Al Qaeda chants and call for the West to be destroyed are more common than organised protests by the British Islamic community against Islamist terrorism.

If such a protest goes ahead I will give credit where it is due, but I'm not holding my breath. It seems that Islamist pro-terrorism nuts don't have to pay much of a social price within the British Islamic community. They are not shunned and ostracised, they know that they won't have trouble finding arranged spouses for thier children, they know they don't have to worry that others within the community will say "Ohh, you're pro-terrorism. I will not do business with you".

The community does not impose such a price on the pro-terrorists within their midst. Instead, vast amounts of energy, money, time, resources are expended by groups like the Muslim Council of Britain in attacking anti-extremism programmes like Prevent, in advocating for Guantanamo Bay detainees, in protesting against "excessive" prison sentences for people convicted of terrorism offences, and of course in protesting British foreign policy where said policy interferes with their "brothers" internationally (for we, their fellow citizens, are not considered their brothers, and international coalition operations in that part of the world is said to be an "invasion of our lands" )

This must end. It is madness, and it cannot be said "It has nothing to do with us" until the Muslim community takes active steps to make sure these people really do have nothing to do with them because they are expelled from the mosques, they are social pariahs, people will not allow their children to marry extremist children and they will not conduct business deals with them. Money talks, ******** walks, and if we saw that kind of action against the pro-terrorists, the refrain "nothing to do with us" would be much more compelling

Birmingham Central mosque are actually doing a 'not in my name' march on saturday and I'll be going. So will you give credit like you said?
Original post by nutz99

It's a reasonable question, dunno why you can't just answer it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 76
It's a reasonable question, dunno why you can't just answer it.
No it's a pretty dumb question which doesn't deserve an answer.
Original post by nutz99
No it's a pretty dumb question which doesn't deserve an answer.

ah whatever, you clearly can't answer it.
Reply 78
ah whatever, you clearly can't answer it.
No I just don't answer questions simply to satisfy an idiot's curiosity.
Original post by AlexanderHam
You may have clicked expecting to see such a protest, but I'm writing this post to draw attention to the lack of one.

If there was an LGBT atheist left-wing terrorist group, you can be damn sure I would be protesting against them and saying "Not in our name". Unfortunately demonstrations where "extremists" scream pro-Al Qaeda chants and call for the West to be destroyed are more common than organised protests by the British Islamic community against Islamist terrorism.

If such a protest goes ahead I will give credit where it is due, but I'm not holding my breath. It seems that Islamist pro-terrorism nuts don't have to pay much of a social price within the British Islamic community. They are not shunned and ostracised, they know that they won't have trouble finding arranged spouses for thier children, they know they don't have to worry that others within the community will say "Ohh, you're pro-terrorism. I will not do business with you".

The community does not impose such a price on the pro-terrorists within their midst. Instead, vast amounts of energy, money, time, resources are expended by groups like the Muslim Council of Britain in attacking anti-extremism programmes like Prevent, in advocating for Guantanamo Bay detainees, in protesting against "excessive" prison sentences for people convicted of terrorism offences, and of course in protesting British foreign policy where said policy interferes with their "brothers" internationally (for we, their fellow citizens, are not considered their brothers, and international coalition operations in that part of the world is said to be an "invasion of our lands" )

This must end. It is madness, and it cannot be said "It has nothing to do with us" until the Muslim community takes active steps to make sure these people really do have nothing to do with them because they are expelled from the mosques, they are social pariahs, people will not allow their children to marry extremist children and they will not conduct business deals with them. Money talks, ******** walks, and if we saw that kind of action against the pro-terrorists, the refrain "nothing to do with us" would be much more compelling

how about dat.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending