The Student Room Group

Edexcel Geog Unit 4 6GE04 01 - 9th June 2017 - Tectonic Hazards [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Imaluza
The one that I use is 'The severity of a tectonic hazard and its human impact depends on the interaction of a number of variables. It is these factors that form the basis for successful hazard management' from Hazards and Responses, (2001), Victoria Bishop.
I then show a table that has physical (Geographical access, type of hazard, topography) and human (Government competence and resources, Level of development, scientific understanding,.....etc) factors.

Cheers - this is a good one and goes beyond the usual one liner.
Original post by Ed coe
Can i refer to myself in the report? Meaning like in the conclusion for example can i say: I have broken it down into 4 main factors which i believe are....

I have done that in previous mocks and my teacher has said it is fine.
Original post by chelseafc10
I plan on splitting my analysis into human factors, e.g. economic development, governance and community preparedess, and physical factors, e.g. type of hazard (magnitude, frequency, etc) and topology/climate. And doing one or two case studies for each sub factor (depending on time). Assuming timing is fine, do you guys think that that's a good structure to do?

I'm only planning on doing 4 factors in my main analysis because otherwise I will run out of time and my points will not be detailed enough.

If you can write really fast then it sounds good to me :smile:
Anyone else still mega stuck on this? Ahhh
Original post by bob_1999
I'm only planning on doing 4 factors in my main analysis because otherwise I will run out of time and my points will not be detailed enough.

If you can write really fast then it sounds good to me :smile:

Yh, how many case studies are you going to do for each of your 4 points?
E.g. one case study per point or two, etc?
Original post by bob_1999
I have done that in previous mocks and my teacher has said it is fine.

I would actually heavily advise you to not refer to yourself. It's not going to push you down a grade and it's only a tiny factor of writing style, but saying 'I've done this/that...' seems unprofessional. Using terms such as, 'the report follows a 4 step approach' as opposed to, 'I have used 4 approaches' will set you out as a strong essay.

As well as in evaluative points (e.g. in 6GE03), the phrase 'I believe' or 'I think' actually can come across quite weakly. One of my fav teachers the other day joked to me that 'who actually cares what 'you' think...', if you are making a truly summative point, your argument should be definite, regardless of whether just you or other people think it i.e., implying there is no possible, logical, other explanation BECAUSE of the points this essay outlines...

For example, instead of 'In conclusion, I believe economic factors are more important in effective management than physical factors because of x and x and x...'. Rephrase as, 'In conclusion, while physical factors do play a pertinent role in the management, it is indeed, the economic factors that are most salient in bla bla bla...'.

Hope this helps - as I say, only a minor point...but may help! :smile:
Original post by Imaluza
Here is the example essay. I hope this makes sense?

Overall your report is good but I have a few recommendations :smile:

1) Research and Methodology should go after your introduction and you need to mention-age of source like if it's older it may be out of date, reliability, bias, triangulate and peer reviewed" and how this impacts your findings.
2) Analysis should go after R & M and should be separated into 3.1, 3.2,3.3,3.4 with subconclusions e.g. 3.1.1. The only way you can score full marks in QWC/on structure and in the conclusion is if you do subconclusions throughout

Your figures are really well used and help your report, I also did one based on the spectrum of response for mocks:smile: btw the fact you've used so many figures could be a hindrance as you might not finish but if you can draw it in time should be fine! (2-3 is recommended by examiners)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Theawesomejem

1) Research and Methodology should go after your introduction and you need to mention-age of source like if it's older it may be out of date, reliability, bias, triangulate and peer reviewed" and how this impacts your findings.
2) Analysis should go after R & M and should be separated into 3.1, 3.2,3.3,3.4 with subconclusions e.g. 3.1.1. The only way you can score full marks in QWC/on structure and in the conclusion is if you do subconclusions throughout

Your figures are really well used and help your report, I also did one based on the spectrum of response for mocks:smile: btw the fact you've used so many figures could be a hindrance as you might not finish but if you can draw it in time should be fine! (2-3 is recommended by examiners)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahhh thank you, my teacher said that this was the structure that we should use - but I guess if you can only score the top marks if its in that order, Ill change it around.
I just did a mock for this essay, with all the diagrams, and finished with about 5 minutes to spare, so I I think the amount of diagrams is not hurting my writing time too much.
Thanks for the advice!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Imaluza
Ahhh thank you, my teacher said that this was the structure that we should use - but I guess if you can only score the top marks if its in that order, Ill change it around.
I just did a mock for this essay, with all the diagrams, and finished with about 5 minutes to spare, so I I think the amount of diagrams is not hurting my writing time too much.
Thanks for the advice!

There's nothing wrong with it tbh that would easily be an A imo just nitpicking! I am in awe that you finished in time😂I prewrote my conclusion and the end of my analysis is barely readable (got 63) but still 1h 30mins is not enough time!!!
There's nothing wrong with it tbh that would easily be an A imo just nitpicking! I am in awe that you finished in time😂I prewrote my conclusion and the end of my analysis is barely readable (got 63) but still 1h 30mins is not enough time!!!

Okay, I don't mind - I'm very open to the criticisms!
Tbh, my hand cramped so hard by the end of it, it felt like the cramp was up to my elbow! And i've been 'training', I always try and write so much that I have just managed to develop a handwriting that is quite quick and not totally illegible!
The pre release this year says 'hazards' not 'tectonic hazards' which it has never done before.
Has anyone got any thoughts about this as to maybe prepare a couple of HM hazard case studies too?
(edited 6 years ago)
anybody know example where good international relations had increased the response to a hazard
Original post by halliethestudent
anybody know example where good international relations had increased the response to a hazard

The management of the eruption in Mount Pinatubo, Philippines in 1991 was largely helped by US interventions who provided a lot of aid and did a lot in the response
Does anyone know if you need to talk at all about hydrometeorological hazards, like hurricanes, at all (like in the intro or through case studies)?

I was under the impression you do need to, but my friend says you definitely don't.

Please let me know!!!

Thanks
Reply 114
Does anyone know if you need to talk at all about hydrometeorological hazards, like hurricanes, at all (like in the intro or through case studies)?

I was under the impression you do need to, but my friend says you definitely don't.

Please let me know!!!

Thanks

Hi, no I don't believe we do.
Original post by saft
Hi, no I don't believe we do.

Oh right.
Thanks for the reply.

How come that is because the pre release said 'hazards' which is unusual as it usually says 'tectonic hazards' suggesting this year it HM hazards might be valid?
Oh right.
Thanks for the reply.

How come that is because the pre release said 'hazards' which is unusual as it usually says 'tectonic hazards' suggesting this year it HM hazards might be valid?

The pre-release says 'Option 1: Tectonic Activity and Hazards' so I really don't think we need any HM examples
Original post by Imaluza
The pre-release says 'Option 1: Tectonic Activity and Hazards' so I really don't think we need any HM examples

That's a good point, I just thought it was a bit peculiar that it didn't say 'tectonic hazards' specifically in the pre-release whereas it usually does.
But yh, I think you're right.
The year was 2014 that a similar pre-release came out, google edexcel a level geography 2014 and you'll get the mark scheme and examiners report. I'm using this to formulate a perfect response to a question on management as there's no curveballs you can throw😂It's a relatively simple area with many case studies so I'm thinking high grade boundaries

Hi mate,
For magnitude (physical factor), is the idea that the 2010 Chile earthquake was not effectively managed whereas the 2015 Chile earthquake was effectively managed? (As this shows that high magnitude can make effective hazard management a lot harder but it still can be achieved)

If anyone else has that as part of the report, let me know 'cause that's what I plan on doing.
(edited 6 years ago)
completely finished my report yay

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending